• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Supreme vertical mixer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher3!

Reaction score
Looking at a used 500 cu foot mixer. Wondering if any body had good or bad feedback. I am thinking of trying to put greenfeed and hay bales through it.

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I thought Gcreek got one and Triple A Herefords at Moose Jaw use one to grind up silage bales and hay and straw.

Murray at Triple A seemed to think it worked well. I have no personal experience.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
I haven't tried one yet. Most of our hay is grass and I've been told that those mixers and grass hay aren't a good match. If you are putting silage bales and alfalfa through it you shouldn't have a problem.

Spanish Johhny

Reaction score
where the deer and the antelope play AB CA
Well, for what it's worth, a friend of mine was a dealer for these mixers and demoed one at a rendering plant. They "processed" 6 Holstein cows and a Clydesdale horse through one. Said it did ok if you could get past the sound, but the hides tended to wrap around the vertical screw. Takes a special kinda person to do that I suppose.....................

mrj

Reaction score
Aside from the functionality of the mixer, those animals were dead, weren't they. Think what we would miss out on if animals were simply given a burial. None of those 'other' things we get from cows.......from ingredients for a multitude of items ranging from nail polish to vehicle tires. The list is long, and beneficial products makes more sense than creating a disposal problem when a cow or horse dies.

The worst job in what you described would be the clean-up! The guys here grumble about cleaning out the twine.....that's nothing in comparison to the hides! Guessing the cleaning crew was thankful it was not their every day job.

mrj

PPRM

Reaction score
I have a used Twin Auger we have run for about 10 years. Need to have a Sleeve kit put in. We have mixed a variety of hay and wet processors waste during that time. I would say most issues were operator error in that time. Overall, pretty happy with it. But, I haven't used anything else to compare

3words

Reaction score
Vertical mixer takes so long to chew up a bale,you will soon be tubgrinding all your bales to put them in the mixer.Vertical mixers prefer a wetter ration compared to just a dry mix of bales.

PPRM

Reaction score
3words said:
Vertical mixer takes so long to chew up a bale,you will soon be tubgrinding all your bales to put them in the mixer.Vertical mixers prefer a wetter ration compared to just a dry mix of bales.

I would agree with that. Even with the wet feed we have, I prefer pretty chopped hay or straw

Rancher3!

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the input. I was wondering if it would take to long to chop up a dry bale. Now that it has rained maybe we will have enough hay not to worry about a mixer!

Denny

Reaction score
Big Muddy rancher said:
isn't this rain nice!

Yes it is. We've been pretty dry here I planted some silage corn yesterday and it got an inch of rain over night.

Latest posts