• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Supreme vertical mixer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher3!

Reaction score
Looking at a used 500 cu foot mixer. Wondering if any body had good or bad feedback. I am thinking of trying to put greenfeed and hay bales through it.

I thought Gcreek got one and Triple A Herefords at Moose Jaw use one to grind up silage bales and hay and straw.

Murray at Triple A seemed to think it worked well. I have no personal experience.

I haven't tried one yet. Most of our hay is grass and I've been told that those mixers and grass hay aren't a good match. If you are putting silage bales and alfalfa through it you shouldn't have a problem.

Well, for what it's worth, a friend of mine was a dealer for these mixers and demoed one at a rendering plant. They "processed" 6 Holstein cows and a Clydesdale horse through one. Said it did ok if you could get past the sound, but the hides tended to wrap around the vertical screw. Takes a special kinda person to do that I suppose.....................

Aside from the functionality of the mixer, those animals were dead, weren't they. Think what we would miss out on if animals were simply given a burial. None of those 'other' things we get from cows.......from ingredients for a multitude of items ranging from nail polish to vehicle tires. The list is long, and beneficial products makes more sense than creating a disposal problem when a cow or horse dies.

The worst job in what you described would be the clean-up! The guys here grumble about cleaning out the twine.....that's nothing in comparison to the hides! Guessing the cleaning crew was thankful it was not their every day job.

mrj

I have a used Twin Auger we have run for about 10 years. Need to have a Sleeve kit put in. We have mixed a variety of hay and wet processors waste during that time. I would say most issues were operator error in that time. Overall, pretty happy with it. But, I haven't used anything else to compare

Vertical mixer takes so long to chew up a bale,you will soon be tubgrinding all your bales to put them in the mixer.Vertical mixers prefer a wetter ration compared to just a dry mix of bales.

3words said:
Vertical mixer takes so long to chew up a bale,you will soon be tubgrinding all your bales to put them in the mixer.Vertical mixers prefer a wetter ration compared to just a dry mix of bales.

I would agree with that. Even with the wet feed we have, I prefer pretty chopped hay or straw

Thanks alot for the input. I was wondering if it would take to long to chop up a dry bale. Now that it has rained maybe we will have enough hay not to worry about a mixer!

Big Muddy rancher said:
isn't this rain nice!

Yes it is. We've been pretty dry here I planted some silage corn yesterday and it got an inch of rain over night.

Latest posts