• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Surprising answer!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well in these parts there has been a strong premium for white hides again. So if we are gonna stay ahead of the wave, I guess we are buy bleach or switch colors . . . :wink:

RobertMac said:
I see this slightly different...many producers have gone black because,generally speaking, black hides bring more at the salebarn.

Trough the 70,s 80,s and into the late 90,s black calves at the sale barn took up to a 10 cent discount consistently, then things started to change and up until about 3 years ago they brought premiums. Processors up here were loosing to much yield and so now the buckskin and smokie Char cross calves are bringing the premiums again because of the quality, yield balance.

Dylan Biggs said:
RobertMac said:
I see this slightly different...many producers have gone black because,generally speaking, black hides bring more at the salebarn.

Trough the 70,s 80,s and into the late 90,s black calves at the sale barn took up to a 10 cent discount consistently, then things started to change and up until about 3 years ago they brought premiums. Processors up here were loosing to much yield and so now the buckskin and smokie Char cross calves are bringing the premiums again because of the quality, yield balance.

Keep a quality cow herd and breed to the bull flavor the buyers wants. :D
Every region has its preferences but quality cows work in all regions they were bred for. Just remember to breed for replacements out of the best cows that work under your management style or buy from someone who runs theirs like you or tougher.

PATB said:
Dylan Biggs said:
RobertMac said:

Keep a quality cow herd and breed to the bull flavor the buyers wants. :D
Every region has its preferences but quality cows work in all regions they were bred for. Just remember to breed for replacements out of the best cows that work under your management style or buy from someone who runs theirs like you or tougher.
Watch out Pat, someone will accuse you of being Kit Pharo! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

I have been called worse. :D :D I should of added quality functional cows for your management style. That will leave size, shape, color and breed upto to the owner.

Interesting read....

If you sell on the grid, you are kind of in the CAB program. The calves that qualify get premiums when they are there.

The low % that qualifies kind of proves there is more to it than just black hide mongrels. And, you can actually fnd some really good meat off of well fed Holstiens.

Where to begin? THe poor meat at the grocery counter in my opinion has more to do with processing. Get a local butcher to take a calf via mobile slaughter out of the same pen and dry age it over 21 days. It will be light years better.

That being said, I like CAB in that the buyers get consistency. If the Major Buyers were smart, they would buy carcasses that met the narrow specs and make their own program. Actually, Agribeef has done it with their Wagyu program. I think the label is Snake River Farms Black label. It is excetionally good and exceptionally expensive.

I liken our industry to the Micrbrew or even Wine industry. The focus needs to be on brands consumers can buy and get the same experience time after time.

Angus source... I have not explored it, but perhaps that is a way to get the CAB more likely to have a high percentage Angus? If the ones that grade CAB and are Angus Source Certified get to be a large enough number; it is the direction I would take the program...

Food is getting more andmore cottage and artisan all the time

"You guys are missing a bet. There are a lot of free lunches at the various bull sales around the country".

If they want the beef to taste GOOD every time they serve HEREFORD BEEF

Juan said:
"You guys are missing a bet. There are a lot of free lunches at the various bull sales around the country".

If they want the beef to taste GOOD every time they serve HEREFORD BEEF

LOL, actually,it is a sure bet if it is Pat~n~Tams Beef!

PPRM said:
THe poor meat at the grocery counter in my opinion has more to do with processing. Get a local butcher to take a calf via mobile slaughter out of the same pen and dry age it over 21 days. It will be light years better.

I would agree with this for sure. We have been marketing our own branded beef for 15 years and the beef done at the local abattoir and dry aged and frozen is an entirely different product than the aged(rotted) in the bag product that comes out of the 4000 hd/day plants all the way from the steaks to the ground beef. Ive seen the huge bulk bags of cryovaced fresh ground beef that sits in those bags soaking in all the purple /black purge for lord knows how long before it ends up on the store shelf and it's any wonder the smell and taste of the store bought hamburger. :shock: :???:

We've sold on the grid for probably 10-12 years-our cattle average 90%+ AAA marbling-the cattle are basically a mix of Angus, Hereford and South Devon-we've had cattle with virtually no Angus in them go CAB. If the Angus association decided to tighten up the specs and make the cattle have to be Angus I'm fine with that as there are better premiums to be had. If the industry would give everybody carcass data back who tag we'd all know where the bear s..t in the buck brush. As far as Hereford improving marbling can't say I've seen that yet-yield and feed conversion perhaps. That Canadian Angus tag deal is just a ripoff-never seen a tagged calf bring a premium in our sale barn yet-what ticks me off is I can run 200 purebred black cows with hereford bulls and can't tag any of the halfblood Angus calves if I run 200 Hereford cows I can tag all of them-just more breed pimping by the head office in my opinion. Back to Certified Angus Beef-a lie is a lie no matter how much lipstick you put on it or how many $ you tuck inits G string!!!

Northern Rancher said:
We've sold on the grid for probably 10-12 years-our cattle average 90%+ AAA marbling-the cattle are basically a mix of Angus, Hereford and South Devon-we've had cattle with virtually no Angus in them go CAB. If the Angus association decided to tighten up the specs and make the cattle have to be Angus I'm fine with that as there are better premiums to be had. If the industry would give everybody carcass data back who tag we'd all know where the bear s..t in the buck brush. As far as Hereford improving marbling can't say I've seen that yet-yield and feed conversion perhaps. That Canadian Angus tag deal is just a ripoff-never seen a tagged calf bring a premium in our sale barn yet-what ticks me off is I can run 200 purebred black cows with hereford bulls and can't tag any of the halfblood Angus calves if I run 200 Hereford cows I can tag all of them-just more breed pimping by the head office in my opinion. Back to Certified Angus Beef-a lie is a lie no matter how much lipstick you put on it or how many $ you tuck inits G string!!!

NR why can't you ever just call a spade a spade? :lol: :lol:

Northern Rancher said:

If you have 200 Purebred Angus cows you can tag them with the Angus green tags.

Northern Rancher said:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about CAB? :D

NR, it says "Certified" on the package so that makes it a valid claim!

Just messing with you NR. A whole lot of people just dont read that last little word at the end of the label "Brand". I call it the CAB disclaimer.

nortexsook said:
>>Close they have been letting 1/2 hereford pass for a long time. Wink<<

I got news for ya. a 15/16th Hereford could pass CAB as long as it was 50% black hided and met the carcass specs.

Maybe u should check the specs! They have to 90% black hided, in the upper 2/3 choice, no yield grade 4's, no dark cutters or over wieght carcasses. Its just one of very VERY many grids that they sell cattle on. And if any of you have had a well cooked CAB steak you cant argue and tell me it was not good. And a half hereford half angus will make a black baldy calf which will pass as CAB so I bet if any of you have sold black calves some of them have gone CAB which is a premium so I'm not sure why any one in the cattle business would cry about thier cattle making more money!!!? It was a grid created to get a premium for the cattle we sell!!

Latest posts