• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Teaching the girls to eat cake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TSR,

I am generally thru my cows once a week, but at times it will stretch for 3 weeks. I have to agree that it makes a difference. I have no EXT experience, and there's some EXT in some of the Rito Pedigrees as it was pointed out to me...... I even have some Saler cross cows that are real gentle and incredible alf raisers. One calf from a Saler cross cow gained 4.45 pounds per day in our steer futurity. I cam einto these cows by accident, a good trade and have kept a buinch of hiefers...

Here's my concern. I can gentle these cows down walking thru them and I am a pretty decent cattle handler, I work them very quite.....But there's certain times in any cows life when Hormones kick in...And the calf will get very excitd then too, generally, calving, branding, weaning, that's when it kicks in and you can get hurt.....

I admit my broadbrush may be too broad, you are only one of several that have replied to me, some via PM's....But that is part of why I brought it up, to hear various opinions and learn a bit more about the dispositions of various cattle,

I will say I saw sevral EXT bulls that had great numbers,

Thanks,

PPRM

Our oldest boy was born two and a half months premature, and weighed in at a whopping 3 pounds 4 ounces upon arrival. Peach Blossom was in a hospital in Denver at the time, so modern medicine methods were at their finest and everything turned out okay.

My folks and little sister came over to visit, and for some reason my little sister and I decided to go across the street from the hospital to a large Safeway grocery store to buy something we thought to be necessary. It was busy, busy and after walking through the door and into the crowded building, we soon discovered that we were the only two white people in the whole place. It was rather hard for me to conduct my business, because wherever I'd try to walk, I'd trip over my sister. I felt like a mare with a brand new colt. :wink: :)

Latest posts