• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tell me what you think about my heifer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

dont think will eat her she is due to calve the end of april. guess what im asking is how does her body condition look ? i have never had a heifer calve before !

Right click on the big picture in the gallery...go to properties....copy the url and when you paste it to a message.....put
after and your big picture will show up in a post....like this

IMG00321.jpg

IMG00320.jpg

looks good to me . appears she will be a big cow though. she purebred or commercial? what ration are you feeding her

no she is not purebred. she is in with another cow between the two of them they get 0ne and 1/2 bales of grass a day and 2 pounds of cake

This is just my opinion...but if you take off the winter hair....slick her out for summer...she'd be a little lacking in the weight department. Especially bein's she'll be feeding a calf in another 3 months. I'd be trying to get a little more weight on her. Im not sayin she's skinny by any means. But raisin a calf takes alot out of em. By the time she has the calf you should be goin into spring grass which will help her feed that calf.

2 lbs of cake between the two of them? or 2 lbs of cake each?

That's not enough in my opinion to maintain weight. Down here (our winters are much milder) if we go the route of feeding range cubes it's 2 1/2-3 lbs. per head per day. After Calving until Grass 3-4 lbs. And this just maintains their weight...they don't gain on these amounts.
I don't know what percentage protein your cake is....but I'd take a look at the feed tag analysis and see how many lbs it recommends per the cows body weight.
Also what protein content is your hay?

I agree with jersey lilly don't be afraid to feed your heifers. there is no problem getting heifers bred it is getting them rebred

Yep, and rebreeding starts BEFORE they calve. I think she needs more
groceries too. If she calves tomorrow, she's gonna be really shrunk up.
I guess we like our heifers fat enough that when they calve you can't tell
it. Cattle can't put weight on when they are lactating until they hit
green grass, so now's the time to get them in good condition. Not that
she's real bad, she isn't, but she could be better. FWIW

It is really tough to make an assessment based on those photos. she looks like she has a pretty good spring of rib though.

Latest posts