• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Telling it like it is

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth. She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors
had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.
Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is you friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and
certainly that would be a fair and equaldistribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

stevec said:
LOL If it were only so simple.

But all you do was reveal that she was uncharitable, and that the Republican Party are experts at being uncharitable.

So much for the platform of moral superiority, eh?

All three in the story have imperfections, but they are different imperfections. And the oldest one was the least wise.

And which of the three do you view as the most wise?

In my opinion the "story" is not pointing out that she was uncharitable, it points out the fact that she like most democrats is a hypocrite. They are willing to talk big but when it come to them, well now they fall under a different category.

I'm waiting stevec on your answer.....

It has become very easy for me to ignore stevec and his mindless drivel. I'm with you Jinglebob, if everyone on this board will also ignore him, maybe he'll quit interrupting our conversations and just go away...

Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor

You always hear about how ultra-liberal colleges are... I can't help but wonder where those schools are, cause they sure aren't in Nebraska... lol

theHiredMansWife said:
Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor

You always hear about how ultra-liberal colleges are... I can't help but wonder where those schools are, cause they sure aren't in Nebraska... lol

Where were you educated? Wherever that was, the ol' wind was sure blowing to tip and lean you to the Left. :? :???: Of course, this is just one feller's opinion. :wink: :)

and just go away...

Yeah. Let's do that! Everyone who doesn't agree with... Hmm...
Who should be the example of perfect ideals and opinions?

Everyone who doesn't match all of their opinions should just leave!

What an interesting conversation the two people who were left would have. :roll:

Soapweed said:
Where were you educated? Wherever that was, the ol' wind was sure blowing to tip and lean you to the Left. :? :???: Of course, this is just one feller's opinion. :wink: :)

and we've already established that you really don't understand political labels which is why you confuse a moderate with a liberal. :p

And frankly, I maintained my moderation in spite of the multitude of obnoxsiously conservative professors I ran into. lol

I'm new to this forum but it bothers me you'd all rather he go away then discuss and let him have a difference of opinion. I'm wondering if my opinion varies from the opinion of the majority am I to keep it to myself? :???:

Just so i know who's the fearless leader here that we don't buck against???? :?

theHiredMansWife said:
and we've already established that you really don't understand political labels which is why you confuse a moderate with a liberal. :p
LOL Too funny. Nobody is as smart as the liberal know-it-alls. What I would call elitist, but....my definition doesn't count.

Soapweed, I'm sorry that you and I appear to both share the same ignorant streak. Seems as if we're both destined to fail HMW's political science class. :(

CattleRMe said:
I'm new to this forum but it bothers me you'd all rather he go away then discuss and let him have a difference of opinion. I'm wondering if my opinion varies from the opinion of the majority am I to keep it to myself? :???:

Just so i know who's the fearless leader here that we don't buck against???? :?
Nobody wants to silence all those that they disagree with. Just to silence those that are constantly spouting their Northeastern Liberal's Oddball Manifesto. He wastes everyone's time. It's much like us trying to have a discussion with rotten retained afterbirth. Would you do that? I wouldn't.

So I guess you could count me in with the go-away crowd. Far, far away. Oh, wait! He already is! If you really want to discuss things with steviec, maybe you could take it to a PM?

I think yours is a good idea, X. The senseless, endless posting never seems to stop. I just skip over it, as I am sure most do.

It is most doubtful that he has convinced or even intriqued enough people on this site to even count.

Good bye, good luck, don't let the door hit you in the butt!!!

in the aformentioned story we are to believe that the judge,(the so called smart girl),can judge the way another lives there life.Had she been asked to share her marks in hopes of making her friend a better person and a stronger contributor would she be wrong to do so....It seems to me that a few of you believe only the ones that dont need assisant are on social programs...just taking those with health issuses alone are helped daily by your giving generosity or are they to suffer because of bad genetic structure...You have a big country full of many hardworking folks and some people that have had down times due to a plethra of reasons...Maybe there is abuse by individauls in some liberel ideals but to be greedy is not the answer either....dont paint all with the same brush many people that get social support I suspect have to learn to swallow thier pride first.Then to have others judge them as nothing but lazy layabouts must take away any drive they have left inside

I don't favor telling anyone they can't or shouldn't post. We all have the right and the option to skip over the posts of anyone we choose not to read for whatever reason.

How does it benefit society for people, individually or collectively, take money away from those deemed to have 'more than they should' (no matter how they got it), and give it to people deemed to have 'less than they should' (no matter the reason they do not have it)?

How does the individual or group deciding that money should be taken from some and given to others benefit?

I see some 'liberals' as that group making the decisions. Too often, I see them as politicians who stand to benefit by getting the votes of the many people who have 'less than they should' who are given part of the assets of the few 'overly wealthy' citizens, who naturally enough MAY not vote for the decision makers. However some of the 'overly wealthy' will, out of guilt over the popular attitude that people with 'too much' wealth somehow do not deserve it, no matter how honest they are, or how hard they work to earn their wealth.

What do others think about these scenarios, over simplistic though they may be?

MRJ

I see some 'liberals' as that group making the decisions.

The US has been controlled by "conservatives" for the past six years (and Congress has been conservative controlled for more like 13). Considering they've been spending money like a hooker with two months to live, I'm not seeing how that's preferable to the liberals' social programs...

Different rationales, same results. :roll:

Latest posts