• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tenth anniversary of Iraq invasion noted--

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Where does this $5-7 Trillion Bullshiat come from?

I'll tell you where. From a lying slug, that's where..............

Published: March. 19, 2013 at 7:40 PM

PROVIDENCE, R.I., March 19 (UPI) -- The Iraq War killed 190,000 people, 70 percent civilians and 4,488 U.S. service members and will cost the U.S. taxpayer $2.2 trillion, U.S. researchers say.

Catherine Lutz, a professor at Brown University, and Neta C. Crawford, a professor of Boston University, co-directors of the Watson Institute for International Studies, said the Costs of War project involved 30 economists, anthropologists, lawyers, humanitarian personnel, political scientists from 15 universities, U.N. staff and members of other organizations.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/03/19/Cost-of-Iraq-War-More-than-22-trillion/UPI-52111363736412/#ixzz2O6Rzs0k4

Oldtimer said:
I was talking with a young fellow that spent two tours in Iraq... I mentioned it looked like there might end up being a civil war there soon... He said he had no doubt that would happen- as you will never get the Kurds, the Shiites, and the Sunnis to agree on anything and stop killing each other...

It was his contention that would have been the best thing that happened back after the first gulf war- when civil war broke out in both the south and north... He thought GHW should have backed the minority sects- and let them do the dying (instead of US/British troops) to oust Saddam-- and then fight the almost certain civil war that will eventually decide who/how Iraq is ruled...

But that didn't happen and instead GW decided to play John Wayne and be a nation builder- and in doing so getting thousands of young folks killed and maimed and running up about 5-7 Trillion $ in long term debt... :(

If I recall correctly, GHWB's administration sent signals to the Kurds that the US would back them against Saddam and then did nothing once fighting started.

Huge mistake on our part to give Saddam use of his helicopter gunships. Again, don't recall all the circumstances, but I do believe he used those gunships to slaughter a pile of Kurds who revolted thinking the US would support them.

Mike said:

PROVIDENCE, R.I., March 19 (UPI) -- The Iraq War killed 190,000 people, 70 percent civilians and 4,488 U.S. service members and will cost the U.S. taxpayer $2.2 trillion, U.S. researchers say.

Catherine Lutz, a professor at Brown University, and Neta C. Crawford, a professor of Boston University, co-directors of the Watson Institute for International Studies, said the Costs of War project involved 30 economists, anthropologists, lawyers, humanitarian personnel, political scientists from 15 universities, U.N. staff and members of other organizations.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/03/19/Cost-of-Iraq-War-More-than-22-trillion/UPI-52111363736412/#ixzz2O6Rzs0k4

I don't even challenge him any more on such topics. He reads an opinion piece some where that confirms his beliefs, latches onto the story, and never lets go. He'll go to his grave blaming Bush for every problem in the country today.

Many Iraqi and American critics accused President George H. W. Bush and his administration of encouraging and abandoning the rebellion after halting UN Coalition forces at Iraq's southern border with Kuwait at the end of the Gulf War. In 1996, Colin Powell, then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, admitted in his book My American Journey that but Bush's rhetoric "may have given encouragement to the rebels" but "our practical intention was to leave Baghdad enough power to survive as a threat to an Iran that remained bitterly hostile toward the United States."

Coalition commander Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr has expressed regret for negotiating a ceasefire agreement that allowed Iraq to keep using helicopters, but also suggested a move to support the uprisings would have empowered Iran. In 2006, Najmaldin Karim, president of the Washington Kurdish Institute, called it a "betrayal of Iraq", blaming the policy of "a dangerous illusion of stability in the Middle East, a 'stability' bought with the blood of Middle Easterners and that produced such horrors as the massive 1991 bloodletting of Iraqis who sought to overthrow Saddam Hussein."

Whitewing said:
Mike said:

I don't even challenge him any more on such topics. He reads an opinion piece some where that confirms his beliefs, latches onto the story, and never lets go. He'll go to his grave blaming Bush for every problem in the country today.

I really don't care about his biased & pre-formed opinions. I just love to catch him in his multitudes of lies.............

Proof Kola reads and believe only what fits the days agenda :wink:

The invasion of Iraq was the trigger point for all the unrest in the Middle East...all of it.

I believe there has been unrest in the middle east for hundreds of years it is called the Islamic religions hate for anyone that doesn't believe as they do. BTW Kola did the invasion in Iraq set off Iran's passion to wipe Israel off the map? I would say that has a bit to do with the unrest in the middle east WOULDN'T YOU? No of course you wouldn't as that would mean GW Bush is not to blame for the unrest a bunch of wingnuts wanting to kill people for the fun of it would. :roll: I'm guessing you think Saddam gasing his people was caused by the invasion too right Kola just like Gitmo was a recruiting tool used to get terrorists to attack the US on 911? :roll:

Next Kola posts this in a thread about the IRAQ WAR.

How is the war " won"? We are still there and things are getting worse, not better. Look at the series of car bombings just the other day...........

18 December 2011 Last updated at 00:45

The last convoy of US troops to leave Iraq has entered Kuwait, nearly nine years after the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

The final column of about 100 armoured vehicles carrying 500 soldiers crossed the southern Iraqi desert overnight.

At the peak of the operation there were 170,000 US troops and more than 500 bases in Iraq.

Nearly 4,500 US soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis have died since the US-led campaign began in 2003.

The operation has cost Washington nearly $1 trillion (£643bn).

US forces ended combat missions in Iraq in 2010 and had already handed over much of their security role.

"(It's) a good feeling... knowing this is going to be the last mission out of here," said Private First Class Martin Lamb, part of the final "tactical road march" out of Iraq.

"Part of history, you know - we're the last ones out."

As the last of the armoured vehicles crossed the border, a gate was closed behind them and US and Kuwaiti soldiers gathered there to shake hands and pose for pictures.

The only US military presence left in Iraq now is 157 soldiers responsible for training at the US embassy, as well as a small contingent of marines protecting the diplomatic mission.

The low-key US exit was in stark contact to the blaze of aerial bombardment Washington unleashed against Saddam Hussein in 2003.

Tribute

US President Barack Obama marked the end of the war earlier in the week, meeting Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

He announced in October that all US troops would leave Iraq by the end of 2011, a date previously agreed by former President George W Bush in 2008.

The US troops left Iraq for the last time, crossing into Kuwait
In a recent speech at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, President Obama paid tribute to the soldiers who had served in Iraq.

He acknowledged that the war had been controversial, but told returning troops they were leaving behind "a sovereign, stable and self-reliant Iraq".

However, correspondents say there are concerns in Washington that Iraq lacks robust political structures or an ability to defend its borders.

There are also fears that Iraq could be plunged back into sectarian bloodletting, or be unduly influenced by Iran.

Washington had wanted to keep a small training and counter-terrorism presence in Iraq, but US officials were unable to strike a deal with Baghdad on legal issues including immunity for troops.

What gets me is if Kola is right and the US is still in IRAQ What happen Bush agreed on the date the US would leave Iraq before he left office, which means BUSH ENDED THE IRAQ WAR NOT OBAMA. All Obama had to do was make a deal to leave a few troops there to protect the young nation until they could get the bearings about them BUT HE FAILED. But leave it to Joe to utter these words hey Kola

I am very optimistic about -- about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You're going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I spent -- I've been there 17 times now. I go about every two months -- three months. I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society. It's impressed me. I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences.

Both Obama and Biden claim Iraq to be their success and you are daring to question them of their spiking of the ball by saying the US troops are still there and things are getting worse not better SHAME ON YOU :wink:

Mike said:
Whitewing said:
Mike said:

I really don't care about his biased & pre-formed opinions. I just love to catch him in his multitudes of lies.............

OT's main problem is that his brain can't seem to distinguish opinion from fact. I'm not sure if it's a case of dementia, alcohol abuse, or just stupidity.....or perhaps all three.

Mike said:

Iraq War Cost U.S. More Than $2 Trillion, Could Grow to $6 Trillion, Says Watson Institute Study

Reuters | Posted: 03/14/2013 9:59 am EDT | Updated: 03/15/2013 6:30 am EDT

By Daniel Trotta

NEW YORK, March 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. war in Iraq has cost $1.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest, a study released on Thursday said.

The war has killed at least 134,000 Iraqi civilians and may have contributed to the deaths of as many as four times that number, according to the Costs of War Project by the Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University.

When security forces, insurgents, journalists and humanitarian workers were included, the war's death toll rose to an estimated 176,000 to 189,000, the study said.

The report, the work of about 30 academics and experts, was published in advance of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq on March 19, 2003.

It was also an update of a 2011 report the Watson Institute produced ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks that assessed the cost in dollars and lives from the resulting wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

The 2011 study said the combined cost of the wars was at least $3.7 trillion, based on actual expenditures from the U.S. Treasury and future commitments, such as the medical and disability claims of U.S. war veterans.

That estimate climbed to nearly $4 trillion in the update.

The estimated death toll from the three wars, previously at 224,000 to 258,000, increased to a range of 272,000 to 329,000 two years later.

Excluded were indirect deaths caused by the mass exodus of doctors and a devastated infrastructure, for example, while the costs left out trillions of dollars in interest the United States could pay over the next 40 years.

The interest on expenses for the Iraq war could amount to about $4 trillion during that period, the report said.

But that didn't happen and instead GW decided to play John Wayne and be a nation builder- and in doing so getting thousands of young folks killed and maimed and running up about 5-7 Trillion $ in long term debt...

I don't know how they do arithmetic in the deep south or the Klan backrooms-- but up north here more than 6 Trillion $ is somewhere between 5 Trillion $ and 7 Trillion $... In fact with northern arithmetic if you add the 4 Trillion $ cost of all the wars + the 4 Trillion $ interest since Bush decided to finance the war(s) on the country's credit card-- that comes closer to 8 Trillion $......

Uh, OT, your source talks about the costs of 3 wars. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan...or Pockistan as the King would say it. I didn't realize we were engaged in a war in Pockistan, but that's another thread.

Now, is the supposed, calculated, extrapolated, pulled-out-of-his-ass $6 trillion all Bush's fault for the 3 wars or does it include the King's continuation and expansion of 2 of those 3 wars?

Whitewing said:
Uh, OT, your source talks about the costs of 3 wars. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan...or Pockistan as the King would say it. I didn't realize we were engaged in a war in Pockistan, but that's another thread.

Now, is the supposed, calculated, extrapolated, pulled-out-of-his-ass $6 trillion all Bush's fault for the 3 wars or does it include the King's continuation and expansion of 2 of those 3 wars?

That boy is nothing but a regular Einstein, I tell ya............ :lol: :lol:

He tries hard to dig himself out of his holes but winds up making it deeper. :lol: :lol:

Whitewing said:

I didn't realize we had any wars- until GW decided to fight 2 nations and a worldwide war on terror- at the same time he went against his own Treasury Secretary's recommendations and cut taxes-- and decided to put the war games cost on the country's charge card...

Whatever nitpicking you want-- GW started the wars that stuck at least 7 Trillion $ in long term debt on our national debt.... While his and Cheneys oil folks buddies and the Halliburtons of the world got richer off taxdollars and no bid open contracts....

Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:

I didn't realize when had any wars- until GW decided to fight 2 nations and a worldwide war on terror- at the same time he went against his own Treasury Secretary's recommendations and cut taxes-- and decided to put the war games cost on the country's charge card...

Whatever nitpicking you want-- GW started the wars that stuck at least 7 Trillion $ in long term debt on our national debt.... While his and Cheneys oil folks buddies and the Halliburtons of the world got richer off taxdollars and no bid open contracts....

LOTS of things you do npot realize oldtimer,,,this is just one of many,,,, One big one is you are not as sharp as you thing you are,,,You and kolo=jingo=lulu=allie have in common,,,,CLUELESS

Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:

I didn't realize we had any wars- until GW decided to fight 2 nations and a worldwide war on terror- at the same time he went against his own Treasury Secretary's recommendations and cut taxes-- and decided to put the war games cost on the country's charge card...

You claim you voted for Bush in 2000. Did you also back the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq?

Whitewing said:
Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:

You claim you voted for Bush in 2000. Did you also back the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq?

Yep- until I found out we were lied to and the invasion of Iraq was under false pretenses (remember Powell apologizing to the world for having been duped by GW's crew)...And it became apparent that instead of making Iraq pay the war costs as we had been promised by GW's administration-- most the cost was going to go on the US taxpayer- and it was going to be one of the factors leading to our faltering economy....

Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:
Oldtimer said:

Yep- until I found out we were lied to and the invasion of Iraq was under false pretenses (remember Powell apologizing to the world for having been duped by GW's crew)...And it became apparent that instead of making Iraq pay the war costs as we had been promised by GW's administration-- most the cost was going to go on the US taxpayer- and it was going to be one of the factors leading to our faltering economy....

You seem to be fooled often by politicians. First Bush with his lies about Iraq, and then the King with that Hope & Change thingy you swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

I've got a bridge in Arizona you may be interested in purchasing.

Whitewing said:
Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:

You seem to be fooled often by politicians. First Bush with his lies about Iraq, and then the King with that Hope & Change thingy you swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

Na-- I feel like I was in pretty good company of getting fooled...
And at least I stayed in my home country- continue to work for the betterment of the country and never ran away to hide in a communist country like you claim to have :roll: ...

Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:
Oldtimer said:

Na-- I feel like I was in pretty good company of getting fooled...
And at least I stayed in my home country- continue to work for the betterment of the country and never ran away to hide in a communist country like you claim to have :roll: ...

Please direct me to the post where I claimed to have run away to hide in a communist country. I'll await that linky as I await the numeous others I've requested to prove your silly assertions.

As for your working for the betterment of the country, voting for the King was a really nice move there, bowels. :roll:

Latest posts