• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

terimal limo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have used Limmys on Char & CharX cows. Poppin good calves are what I got out of it. Lots of eye appeal, and buyers wern't afraid to raise their hands. I went to straight Char and saw an increase in weaning weights. Don't know what is right at your house, and with your resources........

Maple Leaf Angus said:
And Carson's Auctions at Listowel, Ontario. Got a catalogue yesterday.

MLA My friend Kelly Yorga is their Western manager. He sold them his herd then went to work for them as they located right beside him. He is always wanting me to try a Limo but I have not weakened.
Sure different then the early day Limos. Great looking place and cattle.

I run mostly Limo bulls and crossed with the char cows you get a nice tan calf. That being said I also ran a Char bull with my Limo cows and got the same result. Buyers like those tan colored calves. Be carefull with keeping replacement heifers cause they can get to be pretty big cows :!:

thanks guys..I will likely give it a go. I was a little concerned with docility, but as I won,t be retaining anything its not much of a problem.

Cowzilla/shortgrass i debated using Char too, but i was a little concerned I might end up with some smoke calves

Whats wrong with smokies?

The're all we produce and they top the market down here.

Sell as well as black calves but weigh more.

Johnny

Broke-T said:

Johnny

It is kind of a "smokie-free zone" up here. They seem to be discriminated against quite harshly at the area sale barns. If I get any (by mistake), I usually put them in a local carcass contest. They seem to do fairly well there, and the end value is comparable to blacks or reds.

Try to look for some marbling in them.

CSU used (and still does) some of the newer Limmies over their commercial Black Angus cows. The Limi/Angus cross calves qualified for 2x as much CAB as the straight Angus calves (40% vs. 20%), and averaged $101 more feedlot and carcass value than did the straights.

Most folks don't realize that crossing with Continentals can do that, but it works pretty good. Totally different story than you get from typical sources.

Badlands

Broke-T said:

Johnny

Nothing wrong with smokies, except for the price dock at the sale barn. It is getting better, but you can still see 10-15/cwt off the black and red calves.

I cringe when I get a smokie or a rat tail. Same amount of labor and expense and a big deduction at the sale barn. :mad:

Strange though... If you look at the nationwide sales reports the Smokies tend to outself blacks.. Them and the yellows from char X red cattle.. Seems as if I catch them on the Superior sale they do pretty darn well.. Not talking rat tails or anything like that but just the smoke collored calves...

Here's a bull I used 8 or 10 years ago frenchie. Got some good bulls and cows that are still in my herd and doing a good job. If you really want some punch and want to add some muscle, I can run down some semen for you up there maybe. He aint a limi though. Sorry about the picture quality.
Fernando.gif

thanks for the help cert

Latest posts