• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Test to see where you are from

Help Support Ranchers.net:

You are suprised to see a farmer/ rancher in shorts? If you have ever spent a day in an Alabama hay field in July on an open tractor, you would no longer be suprised. Lose fitting cotton shirt with short britches and a wide hat are the only way to go. Back when I was a kid all I wore was a pair of shorts and they had holes in them. My rake tractor is an old JD 2020 where you sit with one leg on each side of the transmition.
It is just to dang hot for boots and jeans.

Don't be offended, I meant nothing by it! It's just that around here, everyone including myself, wear jeans all the time. Hot or not! BTW, your legs aren't spindly or knobby!

Thank you darlin. You should try wearing shorts in the summer. When you get too hot just stop the tractor and jump in the pond to cool off. And right back on the tractor. I have to stand up for a round or two and let my shorts dry.

Don't have a pond! I'd only sink to the bottom if there was one, anyways. I swim like a rock! I have to stand up, too, once in a while to let my jeans dry on the backside. The air-conditioning doesn't get to that spot!

air-conditioning? It would just not seem like farming with Air-conditoining. I may have to get a tractor with AC when I get old though. :wink:

No pond? hummmm. If you had hot muggy summers like we do I bet you would dig one. How do your cows cool off in the afternoon. Mine like to stand in a pond. Or walk up and down the creek splashing cool water on themselves.

In the one pasture, they hang out in the shade of the trees. In the other one, which is 15 miles or so from here, there is lots of water and they stand in it when it's hot. There's free flowing natural springs, so there's LOTS of water! We were thinking about stocking it with fish.

And what's with that old, wink wink, comment? I'm not as old as you might think I am! I'm just spoilt, need my air-conditioning! I get really cranky when it doesn't work, been known to go on strike a time or two.

Alabama said:
air-conditioning? It would just not seem like farming with Air-conditoining. I may have to get a tractor with AC when I get old though. :wink:

Don't wait too long- air conditioning is hell on arthritis-- I'd just as soon have an open tractor or best one with a cab that has all the windows that will open......But we usually only get a couple weeks of 90 and 100 degree days- never even got the air conditioning charged in anything last year.....

On strike? With hay on the ground? Around here we often have to hurry to get hay in before it rains. Striking with hay on the ground just might get you fired. No matter how young you are. :wink:

Latest posts