• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Texas bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Burnt - yes I spent Jan 24th to Feb 1 in the Alsace region - North, West and South of Strasbourg. In one of the posts I wrote :
"From the Alsace region a quick summary of the towns I visited: Strasbourg and points North and West at; Sarreguemines, Meisenthal, Dierneringen (Vincent's home), Hinsengen, Drulingen, La Petite-Pierre and Wiwersheim. South of Strasbourg; Griesheim, Blaesheim, Geispolsheim, Obernai, Erstein (Florence's home), Gertwiller, Daubensand, Dambach-la-Ville (Mathieu's home) and Haut-Koenigsbourg plus all the wonderful people that allowed us to visit their farms, vineyards and the hospitality and warm welcome into their homes."

There were likely 50 additional villages/towns that we passed through. I got a kick out of the "no left" turns ... the circular exit system! Just like those we have seen in the movies!

Which town/area is yours?

The trip was beyond words and I'd be back there 'yesterday' if my life permitted. A "different perspective" - right you are Burnt. I'll bite my tongue when I hear negatives comments about those @#$^&* Europeans because I know they are wonderful people, fighting, perhaps somewhat different obstacles ( and yet many similar challenges) - they are hard working rural families .... just like you and I.

Faster horses said:
I'd never put that pedigree to work in our cows. But that's just
my opinion.

i'm with ya, FH.

edited: i guess i would consider it if i didn't keep any heifers for replacements, but seems i do, i would stay away from Hoff.

SSAP we had relatives visit last summer and hubby`s dad brought a friend with him as he wanted to see Canada, he is a cattle farmer in the Netherlands and he has never even heard of Angus. He raises Limos and Chars and yes they are big. My FIL raises full blood Lakenvelder and how they process calves is they ween at around 9-10 months and the calves are slaughtered immediately ,no finish. They have contracts with local butcher shops in the area.

I must admit that I am not a fan of European beef though, most places do not know how to prepare it and I like my beef finished.

The cheese is to die for.. :D

SSAP, without looking it up, I don't remember what town we came from. The only one from our family (that I know of) who has been back to visit is my oldest brother and his wife.

They were met at the train station by a man who makes a point of receiving visitors who originated from that area and making them feel right at home. He questioned my brother about his ancestry and based on his references took him to the exact locale where our great, great (?) grandfather came from.

Everything over there is sooo old, he said. And expensive, too. They had a cup of coffee and a desert at one little boutique and it cost something like $30 or $40!! Just a coffee was over 4 bucks.

A trip to those parts is definitely on my bucket list!

Latest posts