• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The #2 food farmers are afraid to eat.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed said:
Good job, Leanin' H. :) They picked the right guy to lead your county cattle association.

I second the motion! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I recently told my tenant that my grass was going to cost him $50/acre to rent this season. If he's not interested, somebody else will be, and they will get to pay $60/acre. The days of getting stuff on the cheap are over. I guess if they think the rent is too expensive, they can buy their own grass and see just what it will cost them.

So loomixguy your one of them money hungry landlords? Hope you come back down when everything else does. I guess if you dont think your getting enough for your rent you could buy some cows and see just what it takes to make it work without supplemental income from another job or farming.

Around here 60 dollars an acre will BUY you all the land you want :shock:

Silver said:

Okay, that's not true, but it would way more than make the payment, which makes $60 an unworkable number for rent based on those figures alone.

Silver said:
Silver said:

Okay, that's not true, but it would way more than make the payment, which makes $60 an unworkable number for rent based on those figures alone.

Land here can be bought as an outright purchase from the govt. for $150+- per acre. They limit you to a quarter per transaction.

They ranches that have sold in the immediate area haven't brought any more than $1500 for deeded land with buildings and range permits thrown in on the deal.
4 acres of grass here will summer a cow.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:
Silver said:

Land here can be bought as an outright purchase from the govt. for $150+- per acre. They limit you to a quarter per transaction.

They ranches that have sold in the immediate area haven't brought any more than $1500 for deeded land with buildings and range permits thrown in on the deal.
4 acres of grass here will summer a cow.

but the "summer" is only one month long, the rest is just tough sledding :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eatbeef said:
I recently told my tenant that my grass was going to cost him $50/acre to rent this season. If he's not interested, somebody else will be, and they will get to pay $60/acre. The days of getting stuff on the cheap are over. I guess if they think the rent is too expensive, they can buy their own grass and see just what it will cost them.

So loomixguy your one of them money hungry landlords? Hope you come back down when everything else does. I guess if you dont think your getting enough for your rent you could buy some cows and see just what it takes to make it work without supplemental income from another job or farming.

With the real estate taxes rising like they are here, you gotta get what the traffic will bear. Remember, your RE taxes in Kansas are much lower than what we pay here. I know guys right now paying $55/acre for much poorer pasture than mine. It's simply business. I do know all about 2nd jobs and supplemental income, but at the end of the day, nobody is feeling sorry for me or cutting me a good deal because I'm such a nice guy. My tenant runs around 200 or so registered Angus cows and farms over 2,000 acres. I think he can afford the rent increase.

Big Muddy rancher said:
This is more the conversation I was hoping for. :D
While I appreciate the commitment and effort it takes to market your own beef and we have a few on here that do it quite well. I don't think it is something everyone could do now. I know it would be tough to go back to marketing 3 yr old grass strs off the ranch as we used to do. Just the interest on one would get ya. :shock:
I just think the self marketers should promote beef , themselves, humane treatment and healthy environment, whether it be Alberta grass or Iowa corn fed. I don't care for the ones selling "Natural" Antibiotic free beef then sell the animals they had to treat into the commodity market. Either they are safe or they are not.

Agree BMR !

Is not that what we all strive for ,or should strive for . As producers it is in our best interest finacially and productivity wise, if our animals are born healthy and stay healthy. However this is not a perfect world and stuff happens . Also we have (I hope) strong regulations that make our beef very safe to eat even if they needed a course of antibiotics at some time in their life. As long as withdrawl periods are met I have no problem eating beef from an animal that required a shot of Nuflor, Draxxine etc .

I enjoy both grass finished and grain finished beef, they are both delicious when done properly ! We are an equal opportunity family here and so are our friends, especially when I am providing the beef . :p

i looked into grass finished beef a couple years ago. i thought maybe i would switch with corn so expensive, there is an art to it. the calf needs to be weighed every 30 days after weaning from mom, if he looses weight in that period from weaning, to finish he will cut tough don,t ask me why i don't know. and like some of the others said the type of grass makes a diffrence as well, feed him ky 31 fescue for 2 years and when you try to eat the piece of meat it will get larger in your mouth the longer you chew it.

Latest posts