• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the Big 8 was at one time just as powerful as the SEC.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
In 1995, four teams from the Big 8 finished a combined 42-6 with all six losses coming from within that four-team group. They were Nebraska (12-0), Colorado (10-2; lost to Kansas and Nebraska), Kansas (10-2; lost to Kansas State and Nebraska) and Kansas State (10-2; lost to Nebraska and Colorado). All four finished in the final AP top 10 that year

this is a time when the Big 8 was king. before the SEC had ESPN promoting them, and before Texas came in and sent Nebraska packing .....

Jigs happens to be right on this one. Just about any team who wanted a national championship during that era had to beat a Big 8 team to do it. If you look at it geographically and population wise, the Big 8 at that time was more powerful than the SEC ever will be, and there were no major networks in the conference's back pocket, pimping and pumping the hype.

But we're comparing apples and oranges, I'm afraid.

apples and oranges?? I thought we were comparing good solid football teams against a corrupt pay for play ESPN league.

1995 was certainly the end of an era.

I'll say this, when ya'll screw something up, you do one helluva good job.

Jealousy & infighting will get you no where...........and conference rivalries will get you everywhere.

loomixguy said:
Jigs happens to be right on this one. Just about any team who wanted a national championship during that era had to beat a Big 8 team to do it. If you look at it geographically and population wise, the Big 8 at that time was more powerful than the SEC ever will be, and there were no major networks in the conference's back pocket, pimping and pumping the hype.

But we're comparing apples and oranges, I'm afraid.

Well said I wish the Big 8 would have never changed!

Infighting didn't doom the big 8, it was a revenue matter. If you draw a ring around Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, include some rural Missouri and Iowa country then north east Colorado, you are looking at a fraction of the population of Texas alone. So, the remedy was link up with some population centers. It will always be a challenge for these rural areas to keep up with modern revenue demands.

Look at 1971, NU, OU, CU

I was very interested in an article I read a few weeks ago, talking about how ESPN is running the show and pushing everyone around. the guy said the BEST option he saw for the Big 12 was for a Big 12 / ACC merge...would give a greater football dynamic than the SEC and the basketball would dominate.... while the logistics and other things would be a bit tough, knocking ESPN and the SEC out of the cat birds seat made my mouth water..... I am getting so tired of the typical ESPN worship of the SEC

My God! Jigs.....are you saying that ESPN/ABC is the George Soros of college football? Holy chit....that would make the SEC....OBAMA!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

East your heart out guys. Unfortunately for you it's been almost 20 years sins you glory days. You don't need ESPN. You need some athletes and more coaches that will move out of the 90's as well.

TexasBred said:
East your heart out guys. Unfortunately for you it's been almost 20 years sins you glory days. You don't need ESPN. You need some athletes and more coaches that will move out of the 90's as well.

Maybe they need some competition? I hear the better the competition is, the more you have to prepare.

I still want to know how it's even remotely possible that ESPN makes the SEC better than the rest. Or even better than some?

ESPN likes the SEC because of money and the SEC likes them for the same reason. So.... they have collaborated on a TV network, do you think they should have partnered with M-G-M or Twentieth Century Fox instead?

If you could see the new classrooms and dorms at AU built by athletic money you would understand.

Don't shed too many tears. It'll turn around again in maybe another 20 years................................... :lol:

While the Big Ten had the two top schools in terms of home attendance, there was no question which conference dominated overall. The SEC averaged 75,674 fans per game in 2013, which beat the Big Ten by more than 5,000 fans. No other conference topped 60,000 per game. In terms of raw attendance, the SEC drew over 7.5 million—roughly one out of every five people who attended a college football game last season; the Big Ten drew about 6.1 million; the ACC, about 4.8 million; the Pac-12, about 4.3 million; and the Big 12, about 3.9 million.

The attendance numbers certainly illustrate the vast chasm between the various tiers of college football. Consider the SEC's average attendance of roughly 75,000 per game with the Mid-American Conference, which averaged the lowest total in FBS with 16,739 fans per game. And as low as the MAC average appears next to the SEC, it still beats every other division of college football. The top finishing conference in the Football Championship Subdivision averaged just over 12,000 fans per game; in Division II, it drops to roughly 6,600 per game; and in the "pure" amateur football of Division III, it's roughly 3,300 per game. (If you're looking for the "Mr. Irrelevant" of college football attendance, it's likely Minnesota's Martin Luther College, a Division III school that drew 333 fans per game last year.)

A&M vs Ol' Miss last week....110,000 +....Aggies averaging 105,000 for home games.

I think the Big 12 has plenty of athletes. Kansas State gave Auburn all they wanted and basically beat themselves. OU took Bama to the woodshed last year. the SEC is good. but ESPN has a circle jerk each week bragging up their sweetheart conference.

TexasBred said:
While the Big Ten had the two top schools in terms of home attendance, there was no question which conference dominated overall. The SEC averaged 75,674 fans per game in 2013, which beat the Big Ten by more than 5,000 fans. No other conference topped 60,000 per game. In terms of raw attendance, the SEC drew over 7.5 million—roughly one out of every five people who attended a college football game last season; the Big Ten drew about 6.1 million; the ACC, about 4.8 million; the Pac-12, about 4.3 million; and the Big 12, about 3.9 million.

The attendance numbers certainly illustrate the vast chasm between the various tiers of college football. Consider the SEC's average attendance of roughly 75,000 per game with the Mid-American Conference, which averaged the lowest total in FBS with 16,739 fans per game. And as low as the MAC average appears next to the SEC, it still beats every other division of college football. The top finishing conference in the Football Championship Subdivision averaged just over 12,000 fans per game; in Division II, it drops to roughly 6,600 per game; and in the "pure" amateur football of Division III, it's roughly 3,300 per game. (If you're looking for the "Mr. Irrelevant" of college football attendance, it's likely Minnesota's Martin Luther College, a Division III school that drew 333 fans per game last year.)

A&M vs Ol' Miss last week....110,000 +....Aggies averaging 105,000 for home games.

That's nice. The school with the most consecutive sellouts isn't in the SEC. How about Academic All Americans? No SEC school leads that, either. :wink:

The SEC look like a bunch of Johnny Come Latelys in those categories. :wink:

That's nice. The school with the most consecutive sellouts isn't in the SEC. How about Academic All Americans? No SEC school leads that, either.

One school does not make a Conference. I take that back. One school does not make 2-3 Conferences. (however many your team has been a member of in recent years)

Consecutive sellouts mean little to nothing in the big picture. Nebraska ranked a whopping 9th nationally in 2013 attendance.

Of the top 15 attendance rankings 7 were SEC schools and only 4 were B1G schools.

Michigan was #1 in attendance in 2013, but will not make that distinction this year. They suck. Big time.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf

• The SEC attendance averaged 75,674 per game to lead all conferences. The Big Ten (70,431), Big 12 (58,899), Pac-12 (53,619) and Atlantic Coast (49,982) rounded out the top five in conference attendance

Those feats were accomplished by one school without regard to conference in those categories, even during the Callahan tenure. Hope the SEC enjoys the ride. There's only one way to move when you're on top. We know. We've been there. :wink:

Stadium capacity might be just a smidge related to attendance. Hard for a stadium with 85-90,000 capacity to compete with a stadium with 105-110,000 capacity. But, the ability to sell out the seats you have, every home game, since 1962, regardless of conference, record, or coach, says a little something about the school and its fans. :wink:

Sec has way more atheletes of high quality than anywhere else. Look at nfl draft. Nfl scouts aren't paid by espn but every year more first round picks are from sec than anywhere else. These kids want exposure so they can get paid also when picking a school you have to be at most of the year why wouldn't you pick the south east. No snow and freezing your balls off when your "suposed" to be at class. :wink:

3 M L & C said:
Sec has way more atheletes of high quality than anywhere else. Look at nfl draft. Nfl scouts aren't paid by espn but every year more first round picks are from sec than anywhere else. These kids want exposure so they can get paid also when picking a school you have to be at most of the year why wouldn't you pick the south east. No snow and freezing your balls off when your "suposed" to be at class. :wink:

I guess it is easier to sign autographs and jerseys, etc. when your hands aren't cold. :wink:

loomixguy said:
3 M L & C said:

I guess it is easier to sign autographs and jerseys, etc. when your hands aren't cold. :wink:
Didn't seem to be a problem in Ohio:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-21/chronology-ohio-state-scandal

Latest posts