• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the Big 8 was at one time just as powerful as the SEC.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Quick, can anybody explain the demise of the big8/12 teams? Hint, UT insisted on uppity academic standards. PAC vs teams like Boise, dirty little secret is admissions standards. Rust belt vs sec, same ol same ol. It's way past time, every conference needs to race to the bottom academically - the money is just too great.

Don't believe everything you hear out of Texas.

Academic rankings of the Conferences & teams:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/us-news-rankings-of-top-six-football-conferences-092012

The SEC's 14 team average is better than the Big 12's 10 team average -- in fact, if you put the top ten of the SEC against the top ten of the Big 12 to equalize the conference sizes, the SEC's average is 80.28, which demolishes the Big 12's 113.1 even more substantially. Even if you remove the top two SEC schools from the tally, Vanderbilt and Florida, the bottom 12 SEC schools are still better than the Big 12's top ten. So that Texas academics argument? Yeah, like most things trotted out by the Longhorns, it's complete crap.

Brad S said:
Quick, can anybody explain the demise of the big8/12 teams? Hint, UT insisted on uppity academic standards. PAC vs teams like Boise, dirty little secret is admissions standards. Rust belt vs sec, same ol same ol. It's way past time, every conference needs to race to the bottom academically - the money is just too great.

in ten years, I really think the game I love will be ruined by ESPN and the cash grabbing universities.... and yes, I blame KSU right along with the other universities. it is all about the money. no prestigious academic awards or academic all American award has a damn thing to do with it. ADVERTISING, BRANDING, MERCHANDISE..... that is what drives college football, think otherwise and your a fool.

jigs said:
Brad S said:

in ten years, I really think the game I love will be ruined by ESPN and the cash grabbing universities.... and yes, I blame KSU right along with the other universities. it is all about the money. no prestigious academic awards or academic all American award has a damn thing to do with it. ADVERTISING, BRANDING, MERCHANDISE..... that is what drives college football, think otherwise and your a fool.

BUT those monies from big sports support all the other sports on campus especially women's programs. Some ever goes to academics. It has always been about money. There is just much much more of it these days.

I'm not sure how that analysis refutes Boise recruits partial qualifiers that ucla can't. Ut insisted on partial qualifiers losing a year and sitting out.

I'm not sure how a partial qualifier reflects on an institutions quality of education anyway because that happened before the athlete even entered the university.

I believe the PQ's are handled by the conferences all though the GPA requirements are blanketed overall by the NCAA.

But that's about giving a young, dumb high school kid another chance anyway.

TexasBred said:
East your heart out guys. Unfortunately for you it's been almost 20 years sins you glory days. You don't need ESPN. You need some athletes and more coaches that will move out of the 90's as well.

Give me a break! :roll:

Latest posts