• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Sherry Arnold case

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds said:
Remember that saying back in WWII? Loose lips sink ships? well loose lips kill investigations too. Not sure but I am betting the LE were busy trying to figure out what happened and which way they went once they found her shoe.

Well many hands make light work and why do they have neighborhood watch programs if you don't know what you were to be looking for.

They had the men in custody the next week I heard more in the barber shop that turned out to be true then I did in the news papers. :roll:

Big Muddy rancher said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
BMR they were not sure if she was buried in MT or ND and those 2 dope heads were only saying a row of trees in a windbreak at first. Also there was a storm coming in and they did not want a bunch of people out in it endangering themselves and others.

Other then a few cold days we haven't had a "storm" all winter. Once they got this information out of Spell it should have been made public. 5 ND counties and North eastern Montana. :roll: They didn't even release the make and color of the vehicle so that someone might have remembered seeing it on a back road ect.

Yep I luv Herfrds is right-- about a day or two after they asked for help checking farmyards a snowstorm moved in and hung in here for 2 days...It was predicted to stay south of the Missouri- but instead went right down it... From watching the radar I didn't think the border area got much... I remember because I thought at the time, thats all those ND fellas need right now...

Then just last week we had another snow session (when the weatherguessers had predicted 20% chance) that dropped anywhere from 2 to 6 inches around this area...
Much of it went with the 40+ temps yesterday- but we still had an inch or two here- and last night we picked up another shot of snow-- and its predicted as a chance every day this week- with the possibility of a major snowstorm this weekend....I've been waiting for the highways to get all melted off so I could haul my old mares to pasture... They don't need to be around when calving starts next month....
With these February snows- we are actually above normal for moisture for the water year... :)

A rumor going around eastern MT is that this Spell is- (how do I say it)- slow- severely mentally challenged- a burned out doper and has no idea exactly where they went as he doesn't know the area- and Waters was doing the driving....But claims if he sees the place again he will recognize it.. And Waters ain't talking...
But like I say- that is only rumor so take it as that....

You might have got 6 inches of snow but we didn't over here.

I heard about the green Explorer from the barber when it was taken to Sidney on the tow truck but they never announced it to jog peoples memories in case they had seen it around.

BMR it really depends upon who was out that same morning she disappeared and if they even saw the vehicle. And eye witnesses are not 100% reliable to testify.

I Luv Herfrds said:
BMR it really depends upon who was out that same morning she disappeared and if they even saw the vehicle. And eye witnesses are not 100% reliable to testify.

They didn't have to testify but they might have seen a green Explorer out and about where it shouldn't have been when they were burying the body.

You do know they haven't even found they body?

I know they haven't found her body yet. If she was buried in a rural area there is no guarentee anyone saw them. there are areas out here where you have no idea if anyone was there.

they never found that one woman who was supposedly murdered outside of Miles City and her body thrown in the Yellowstone River. Never found that Ramsey boy who disappeared in Great Falls and was supposedly murdered and eaten by a neighbor. Never found that sheriff that was supposedly murdered down by West Yellowstone and buried in a gravel pit.

BMR.....what's up with all the nosey questions?

Did you know this lady?

You sure seem to be anxious to find out what it known and not known?

jingo2 said:

Did you know this lady?

Whats up with your nose in it anyway kolo=jingo=lulu=allie?? You sure seem to have the hots for BMR and Tam :wink: :wink:

jingo2 said:

Did you know this lady?

Did think I had many questions except why they haven't kept the public informed.
NO I didn't know Sherry but Sidney MT is quite close and the circle around Sidney, Williston and Plentywood has a fair bit of oil activity. My daughter works nights at the hospital in Plentywood so I guess you could say it is fatherly concern that has made me interested in this case. I have always liked Sidney as a place to shop as we have bought haying equipment from there.

BMR I can understand your concern. Do not mean to scare you but before Sherry's disappearance I had talked to a trucker who had just come out of that area. He had heard and seen things there that flat out scared him. He told me that the women that worked at Mc D's were not allowed to go outside and throw out the trash alone nor were they allowed to walk to their vehicles alone at night, they have to have at least 3 other guys with them.
That trucker pulled out even with a full log book he said he didn't want to spend the night there and he would rather get a ticket then sleep there.

as soon as I heard about Sherry's disappearance all I could think was it was not going to end well.

Sherry Arnold's Alleged Kidnapper Lester Van Waters Led Michael Spell Astray

MATTHEW BROWN and P. SOLOMON BANDA 02/28/12 01:53 PM ET Associated Press

SIDNEY, Mont. — Family and friends of one of the two suspects in a brutal Montana kidnapping described him as an illiterate young father who was eager for work when he fell under the sway of a convicted criminal promising lucrative employment in the Bakken oil fields.

Court documents filed by the prosecutor in the case indicate 22-year-old Michael Spell of Parachute, Colo., has confessed to his role in the crack-fueled abduction and presumed killing of 43-year-old Sherry Arnold of Sidney, Mont.

Spell and co-defendant Lester Van Waters Jr., 47, are to be arraigned Tuesday before state district Judge Kathy Irigoin. They will be asked to enter pleas on charges of aggravated kidnapping, although they do not have to immediately answer, Richland County Attorney Mike Weber said.

Arnold was abducted – apparently at random – while she was jogging near her home early on Jan. 7. Her body has not been found, but Spell allegedly told investigators Arnold was choked to death and buried in a shallow grave.

Spell's father, Harry, told The Associated Press that his son had travelled with Waters to the Bakken oil fields of Montana and North Dakota after Waters guaranteed work paying up to $2,000 a week.

Harry Spell said his son – who can't read or write and has no driver's license – was anxious to prove himself to his parents and girlfriend Angel Cruz, with whom he has a 1-year-old son.

Michael Spell had found past work in the oil fields near Parachute and on a fire damage cleanup crew, but was unable to keep the jobs "because he didn't quite understand what to do," Harry Spell said.

"He might be 22 years old, but he has an education less than a kindergartner," Harry Spell said.

Authorities say that may be a factor in their being unable to locate Arnold's body. Sheriff Scott Busching of North Dakota's Williams County says FBI investigators have taken Michael Spell out to find where Arnold is buried, but he has been unable to find the spot.

"He has no concept of time or distance and is unable to return to the spot with investigators," Busching said. "I think he's trying to help but doesn't really know how."

Michael Spell and Cruz had lived with family members while Spell looked for ways to support his family, Cruz and others said.

Tina Godwin, who describes herself as Cruz's aunt, said Michael Spell would help out around her house – doing dishes, pulling weeds from the driveway and painting. He was around children and would often play with them, Godwin said. And he liked the kids' simple video games, including Sonic the Hedgehog and Kingdom Hearts.

"He was like a kid playing those games. You saw the light on his face," Godwin said.

Michael Spell met Waters about a year ago. Waters had come to Colorado in the months after his release from prison in Florida, and moved into an apartment complex on a bluff overlooking the Colorado River in the bluish grey mesas of the Grand Valley in western Colorado, according to interviews with friends and family.

Chadwick McConnell, 25, a distant cousin of Michael Spell, said Waters started a conversation with one of his friends at the complex and offered him work as a roofer. With jobs in the nearby gas and oil fields more difficult to get, McConnell said he and three others, Spell included, jumped at the chance to get paid in cash.

But working with Waters proved difficult. He would often tell McConnell, Spell and other workers to be at a location at 7 a.m., then not show up until around noon, failing to answer his cellphone.

"He's the kind of guy who'd talk to you and make you believe he's your friend," McConnell said. "But he won't live up to any of the things he says."

Waters told Michael Spell the jobs in the oil fields in North Dakota were a sure thing, Harry Spell and Cruz said. Waters also tried to recruit another man to travel with them but he declined.

Spell "was going down there for work, and he was going to be making money to support us," Cruz said. "He didn't know there was nothing down there."

When Spell left Colorado, he was awaiting arraignment on charges that he encouraged a middle school student to text other students and ask them if they wanted to buy marijuana. He reportedly told the judge in the case his brother had been in a car accident in Texas.

Barry and Nadine McConnell, the parents of Angel Cruz, described Spell as a person who wants to be helpful.

But getting a straight story out of him was always difficult, Barry McConnell said, especially when they asked him whether he would get a job to help support his son.

"He would talk in riddles," Barry McConnell said, adding that at some point they stopped believing anything he said.

Nadine McConnell says she is angry, astonished and horrified.

"To think that I let him into my house, I fed him, invited him to birthday parties," she said.

Prior to Arnold's abduction, both suspects had been using crack cocaine, according to witnesses quoted in a court affidavit. After Spell grabbed Arnold off the street, Waters allegedly choked her before the pair buried her body in a shallow grave along a line of trees in rural North Dakota, the affidavit says.

Spell and Waters are being defended by court-appointed attorneys. Telephone calls to their lawyers were not immediately returned. Attempts to reach family members of Waters were unsuccessful.

Sounds like the story I had heard about the kid- Spell- being a little "slow" was correct- and that has been what has kept him from leading the LE to the body...

After reading that I have to wonder what Spell's parents were thinking to allow a clearly mentally handicapped person to get into a car with a unreliable known felon and go off to another state where drug use is high, there is no housing for the people that live there let alone for those who continue to seek work there, to get a job that takes alot more knowledge than he clearly has. This KINDERGAREN EDUCATED young man needed to be in a controled setting not out on the road with a crack head. :roll: His parents should be ashamed of themselves as they failed to protect him.

Body found in ND, may be missing Montana teacher Sherry Arnold

Posted: Mar 21, 2012 2:15 PM by KTVQ (Billings)
Updated: Mar 21, 2012 2:35 PM

Federal and multi-state law enforcement officers have recovered a body believed to be that of missing Sidney, Montana, teacher Sherry Arnold.
The body was found east of Williston, North Dakota, on Tuesday, more than two months after Arnold was reported missing.

On Wednesday morning, the body was flown to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Montana, where it will be examined and positively identified.

Here is information from the FBI press release:

On March 20, 2012, Special Agents assigned to the FBI Evidence Response Team began efforts to recover human remains in the vicinity of Williston, North Dakota. During this operation the FBI received support and assistance from several Montana and North Dakota law enforcement agencies to include, the Sidney Police Department, Richland County Sheriff's Office, Williams County Sheriff's Office, Williston Police Department, and the North Dakota Highway Patrol. By the early morning hours of March 21, 2012, Special Agents had recovered the physical remains of a female. While a positive identification has not been made at this time, it is believed the remains are those of Sherry Arnold of Sidney, Montana. Further efforts to verify the identity of the remains are currently underway by law enforcement. After a positive identification is made, a news release will be issued.

Arnold was reported missing on January 7th after she failed to return from a Saturday morning run.

Lester Waters, Jr., 47, and Michael Spell, 22, both from Colorado, have been charged with felony kidnapping in the disappearance of Arnold, and are behind bars in the Richland County Jail awaiting trial.

In court documents, Spell confessed that the men were high on crack when they drove through Sidney on their way to the oil fields of North Dakota. Spell says Waters wanted to kidnap and kill a female. The two spotted Sherry jogging along Ninth Ave., commonly known as the Truck Route, and Spell grabbed her and pulled her into their vehicle. Spell told authorities Waters got in the back seat and "choked her out."

According to the report, Spell says Waters told him he would kill Spell and his family if Spell ever told anyone what happened.

The two then drove across state lines to Williston, North Dakota. Spell confessed that the two men then apparently threw Arnold's clothing in a dumpster at Lonnie's Truck Stop across the street from Walmart in Williston.

Spell said he and Waters drove to a rural area outside of Williston and dropped off Sherry Arnold's body. The two then returned to Williston and purchased a shovel at Walmart. The two returned to the female's body, and Spell said Waters made him dig a hole two or three feet deep, and then they placed the her body in the hole. Spell said the grave site was at the end of a shelter belt on an old farmstead in a rural, isolated area outside of Williston.

We will update you as we learn more.

I would think this would about cook Waters goose...With all the evidence they have now and Spells testimony they should be able to put him on Montanas death row....

Sidney teacher murder suspects plead not guilty
The suspects in the disappearance and killing of a Sidney teacher have pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted kidnapping.

Lester Van Waters Jr., 48, and Michael Spell, 23, were arraigned Tuesday on new charges filed since the March discovery of Sherry Arnold's body in a shallow grave in North Dakota.

The two Colorado men face the death penalty if convicted on charges of deliberate homicide.

State district Judge Richard Simonton in Sidney vacated trials for the two men originally set for July. They were not immediately rescheduled.

Arnold, a high school teacher, disappeared Jan. 7 while on a morning jog in Sidney, a once-quiet boom town in the Bakken oil field.

Court documents indicate that Spell has blamed Waters for choking Arnold to death; Waters allegedly said Spell did it.

Each one says the other did it- but they were both together, so it should be an easy decision- fry them both...

H*ll must have frozen over :shock: as after how many years Oldtimer I finally found something we can agree upon.

Tam said:
H*ll must have frozen over :shock: as after how many years Oldtimer I finally found something we can agree upon.

While we might agree- I doubt very much that either the jurors, Judge, and/or the appeal courts will all go along with a death sentence on Spell-- who according to all is so DD that he only has the mentality of a kindergartner...

Sherry Arnold case moves forward on 1-year anniversary of abduction/murder

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 4:47 PM by Angela Douglas - Q2 News
Updated: Jan 7, 2013 4:47 PM

Sherry Arnold case moves forward on 1-year anniversary of abduction/murder

UPDATE: SIDNEY - It has been exactly one year since the abduction and murder of Sidney school teacher Sherry Arnold, 43. On the morning of January 7, 2012 Arnold was out on a Sunday morning jog when she was kidnapped and murdered by two men. The accused suspects are Lester Waters Jr. and Michael Spell. They had no connection to Arnold.

Ironically, the case moved forward Monday afternoon in Richland County District Court on the one year anniversary of the crime that devastated the eastern Montana community.

An omnibus hearing was held for accused murderer Michael Spell at 1:30 p.m. During his arraignment in early 2012, Spell pled not guilty to the charges of Deliberate Homicide and Attempted Kidnapping.

During Monday's hearing, Judge Richard Simonton scheduled Spell's trial date for January 6, 2014. Richland County Attorney Mike Weber expects the trial to last four weeks.

Spell did not make an appearance for the omnibus hearing.

The omnibus hearing of Lester Waters Jr. was held immediately following Michael Spells hearing.

Waters is also charged with Attempted Kidnapping and Deliberate Homicide. He pled not guilty to those charges at his arraignment in early 2012.

Judge Richard Simonton set Waters' trial date for November 4, 2013. The trial is expected to last three weeks.

Waters was not present for his hearing.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for both suspects.

Supporters of Arnold were in the courtroom Monday, including her husband, Gary.

This is one of the sad things of our criminal court system-- where Judges are so shorthanded-- because of overwork/lack of funding for more Judges- or their appointments have set for years without getting Congressional approval because of partisan game playing... And every year we go further behind in the process.... And its years before the criminals -complainants/defendants get their day in court...

Oldtimer said:
This is one of the sad things of our criminal court system-- where Judges are so shorthanded-- because of overwork/lack of funding for more Judges- or their appointments have set for years without getting Congressional approval because of partisan game playing... And every year we go further behind in the process.... And its years before the criminals -complainants/defendants get their day in court...

Judge Richard Simonton was appointed by Congress?

Whitewing said:
Oldtimer said:

Judge Richard Simonton was appointed by Congress?

Really. :roll:

If lying was a virtue, OT would win a Pulitzer.

Latest posts