• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the things that pop up off the net

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
was trying to find info on a old sheep company and here I find my Great Grandfathers obituary.
BAGLEY, William-----During the afternoon of Wednesday, August 9, while arranging a suitable place for a hay stack, a hay derrick was accidently dropped upon Mr. Bagley of Fairview, crushing him to the earth bruising him severely and breaking his left leg just above the knee. He was rushed home and Dr. West immediately summoned. The leg was properly set and Mr. Bagley made as comfortable as possible. He seemed to be recovering satisfactorily until Thursday of the following week, when severe gas pains and other complications set in, which resulted in the sad death of a beloved husband and affectionate father and a highly respected citizen, Monday August 21, at 5:30 a. m.

Previously and at the time of death the deceased was attended by Miss Rose Haggerly a trained nurse from Montpelier a loving wife his two brothers, Enoch and Joseph and their wives other loved ones and anxious friends.

In connection with Dr. West, Dr. Ellison, now of Sugar City and Dr. Beal were consulted. A Fast and prayer service was held, humble prayers and administrations ascended to Heaven for his recovery, but He who notes the sparrows fall and doeth all things well, called to His home one of his noblemen, at 5:30 a. m. Monday.

Funeral services were held in the Fairview meeting house a 2 p. m. Wednesday August 23. Robert Hillstead, President Clarence Gardner and Albert Barrus made timely and eulogistic remarks. The choir, under the leadership of Harvey Allred assisted by Mrs. Margaret Anderson and other embers of the stake choir rendered inspiring music. Mrs. Elden and Harvey Allred sang a duet and Mrs. Hood sang the solo part of The Beautiful City, the choir assisting with the chorus.

A beautiful white casket with a silver plate on which was inscribed with Father held the remains on which were heaped with beautiful flowers, tokens of esteem from relatives and friends. An exquisite wealth of roses, asters and pink gondolas were presented by the M. L. A. stake board.

Every member of the immediate family, a large crowd of friends from the home town, Afton, and other parts of the valley, besides the following were in attendance at the funeral.

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bagley, Mr. and Mrs. Andy Wells, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Orchard, Miss Mabel Orchard, Mr. and Mrs. James Kennersley, Misses Lucile and Margery Kennersley of Montpelier, Ida, Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Bagley, Mesars Rolland Livingston and Arthur Bagley, Mrs. Edna Bagley, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Bagley, Mrs. Rose Heckberth, Misses Grace and Martha Heckberth of Raymond Idaho, and Mr and Mrs. Jack Kelley of Burley, Idaho.

William Bagley was born May 22, 1862 in Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, England, his parents being George and Sarah Severn Bagley. His grandparents were Severns and both were members of the Church of England and sang in a celebrated choir of that church. They with their daughter and husband George and Sarah Bagley were converted to the faith of the L. D. S. They and William, Enoch and Joseph Bagley sailed for America in the sailing ship Colorado, being on the ocean six long tedious weeks. William was then nine years old and he and little brother passed some of the time fishing with cans tied to strings and pin hooks in the great Atlantic ocean.

They landed at New York in July and immediately took the train for Utah, landing in North Ogden where they made their home with an aunt, Hannah Randall. The following December the Father died leaving a widow and three sons in destitute circumstances. The mother having to go to work. William spent most of the time with his grandparents, who moved to Montpelier, Idaho. William and Enoch Bagley were boy pioneers of Thomas Fork being sixteen and fourteen years old. They put in a hard winter, living alone when the snow was four feet deep, feeding cattle, and bringing all the provisions they had to the hut on snowshoes. They were of sturdy character and never saw a sick day. On October 2, 1880 William Bagley and Eliza J. Godfery were married in Montpelier. They lived there 3 years when they took up the homestead now known as Low ranch on Crow Creek, Idaho.

After spending several years there in which time they erected substantial buildings, fenced, planted and reaped, they sold out and moved to Fairview where they build their present home.

The union proved to be very happy and congenial. They became the parents of five sons and five daughters, all of whom are living and were in attendance at their fathers funeral.

Mr Bagley efficiently served on the school board for several succeeding terms, and was active in any civic movement. Willed an honorable short term home mission in Freedom, assisted in teaching and settling difficulties in the ward and has for eight years stood faithfully by the wife while she has served as president of the Y. L. M. I. A. of Star Valley stake. In connection with friends and neighbors he will be greatly missed and mourned by a loving wife the following sons and daughters: William, Lester, Joseph, Eugene, Errol, Alice, Sidney, Gladys, Lucile, Ruth, Floyd, Severn and Helen Grace. Lester is married to Josephine Barton and they live in Etna, Wyoming. Alice is the wife of Dr. Fred Call and their home is in Yakima Washington. Eugene is extensively engaged in the sheep business but when possible makes his home in Fairveiw. Errol has been engaged as a teacher for several years in the Mound Fort Junior High School of Ogden, Utah. Sidney when not at the old home is engaged on his farm in Etna. Gladys taught school last year in Smoot and this year will teach in Plain City, Utah. The others will be at home with their mother. Of the family the following here graduated from High Academy, Errol from Montpelier High School, Gladys and Lucile from S. V. H. S. Alice taught school in Etna and Smoot before she was married.

The grandchildren are five in number, respectively, William Burton, Sarah and baby Bagley, Geraldine and Junior Call. There are the following brothers and sisters: Joseph Bagley, Montpelier, Enoch Bagley of Raymond, Utah, John Kelley of Burley, Idaho, Mrs. Rose K. Heckbirth of Raymond, Mrs. Alice K. Kennersley, of Montpelier. Star Valley Independent Friday August 25, 1922

http://genealogytrails.com/wyo/lincoln/obits2.html

This is the kind of discovery that leads to a lifetime of family history research. :p Trust me in this.

I've been doing research into the family for years now, and the net has been the best thing ever invented IMHO. An obituary so detailed is a real find. It's one thing to know the names of your family, but things like this fill in details that make it all so much more real and meaningful.

Kato said:
This is the kind of discovery that leads to a lifetime of family history research. :p Trust me in this.

I've been doing research into the family for years now, and the net has been the best thing ever invented IMHO. An obituary so detailed is a real find. It's one thing to know the names of your family, but things like this fill in details that make it all so much more real and meaningful.
I can find most all of my Family here, Not much of my Wifes family though.
https://new.familysearch.org/en/action/unsec/welcome

Latest posts