• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

THIS is WHAT STARTED BSE and THE AUSSIES will get it TOO.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The missing link would seem to be scrappie , it has never occured in Australia. It has in UK, Europe, USA & Canada.
regards
Tully

Do you notice in the year 2000 who was importing and how much MBM! Alot of this data is hidden in files that the goverments want to keep quiet ,but it is found sooner or later.

And where on those pages does it say anything about cattle feed?

It's still legal to feed this stuff to non-ruminants in the United States as of today.

Perhaps someone can find figures regarding the American import of such products?

Poultry litter banned as cattle feed
By Casey Ritz, Extension Poultry Scientist, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Published by Poultry Science - In a January 26, 2004, press release, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced several new public health measures to be implemented to strengthen the existing "firewalls" that protect consumers from the agent believed to cause "Mad Cow Disease" or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and to help prevent the spread of BSE in U.S. cattle herds.

The FDA stated that the new safeguards are science-based and intended to further bolster existing prevention efforts and to strengthen FDA's 1997 animal feed rule.

A component of the new safeguards that strengthen the animal feed rule is a proposed ban on the use of poultry litter as a feed for ruminants. Broiler litter, used by many cattle producers over the past 4-5 decades as a low-cost protein feed source, is to be banned from use in ruminant feeding programs. It is still legal for poultry feeds to contain protein sources such as meat and bone meal.

However, these ingredients are prohibited in ruminant feed. FDA is concerned that spilled poultry feed as a component of poultry litter will be collected and fed to ruminants, posing a potential risk of BSE infection. Prior to this announcement, no federal laws or regulations have controlled the sale or use of poultry litter as a ruminant feed ingredient.

Broiler litter has been a good feed source for cattle during the winter or times of drought, particularly for brood cows and stocker cattle. Benefits of its use as a cattle feed have included: 1) environmental protection via responsible use of an animal by-product, 2) increased sale value of the by-product for poultry producers, and 3) economic benefit for production of beef cattle as a lowcost feed source. Despite these benefits, the feeding of poultry litter, however, is not a widespread practice. It is estimated that less then 1% of the total amount of poultry litter generated in the United States is fed to cattle.

While the chances of ruminants becoming BSE-positive from the consumption of poultry litter is highly unlikely, many in the industry have anticipated this ban for quite some time. Public misconceptions concerning the feeding of poultry litter coupled with heightened anxiety over BSE has now compelled FDA to enact this rule, despite over 40 years of use without any evidence of diminished safety of beef products or harmful effects in humans.

Since high quality poultry litter is usually much more valuable as a feed than fertilizer, the loss of this practice will affect the nutrient management planning efforts and cattle feeding programs of many farmers nationwide.

All I can say is, "Bout dam time"

:?

Bull Burger said:
Poultry litter banned as cattle feed
By Casey Ritz, Extension Poultry Scientist, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Published by Poultry Science - In a January 26, 2004, press release, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced several new public health measures to be implemented to strengthen the existing "firewalls" that protect consumers from the agent believed to cause "Mad Cow Disease" or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and to help prevent the spread of BSE in U.S. cattle herds.

The FDA stated that the new safeguards are science-based and intended to further bolster existing prevention efforts and to strengthen FDA's 1997 animal feed rule.

A component of the new safeguards that strengthen the animal feed rule is a proposed ban on the use of poultry litter as a feed for ruminants. Broiler litter, used by many cattle producers over the past 4-5 decades as a low-cost protein feed source, is to be banned from use in ruminant feeding programs. It is still legal for poultry feeds to contain protein sources such as meat and bone meal.

However, these ingredients are prohibited in ruminant feed. FDA is concerned that spilled poultry feed as a component of poultry litter will be collected and fed to ruminants, posing a potential risk of BSE infection. Prior to this announcement, no federal laws or regulations have controlled the sale or use of poultry litter as a ruminant feed ingredient.

Broiler litter has been a good feed source for cattle during the winter or times of drought, particularly for brood cows and stocker cattle. Benefits of its use as a cattle feed have included: 1) environmental protection via responsible use of an animal by-product, 2) increased sale value of the by-product for poultry producers, and 3) economic benefit for production of beef cattle as a lowcost feed source. Despite these benefits, the feeding of poultry litter, however, is not a widespread practice. It is estimated that less then 1% of the total amount of poultry litter generated in the United States is fed to cattle.

While the chances of ruminants becoming BSE-positive from the consumption of poultry litter is highly unlikely, many in the industry have anticipated this ban for quite some time. Public misconceptions concerning the feeding of poultry litter coupled with heightened anxiety over BSE has now compelled FDA to enact this rule, despite over 40 years of use without any evidence of diminished safety of beef products or harmful effects in humans.

Since high quality poultry litter is usually much more valuable as a feed than fertilizer, the loss of this practice will affect the nutrient management planning efforts and cattle feeding programs of many farmers nationwide.

All I can say is, "Bout dam time"

:?

BB- I may be wrong- and I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I am- but I think since then, USDA, AMI, and the administration has overruled FDA and that chickenlitter is back on the allowed feed that is going to cattle-- Tyson was losing too much money with nowhere for their factory contracted chicken plants litter to go-- anyway the folks down south are telling me its being fed again as the cheapest feed available......

And I agree-- Cows weren't meant to eat chickensh*t.......

The USDA doesn't want to quit the feeding of Chicken litter and Helped stall the FDA Firewall rule .To many pro voices in the USDA from then chicken and beef industry trying to protect their interests with a cheap feed supplement.Thats what happened with MBM sales from the BSE areas ,the BRITISH MBM industry just spread BSE worldwide with their cheap sales of of the rendering industry.

Oldtimer said:
BB- I may be wrong- and I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I am- but I think since then, USDA, AMI, and the administration has overruled FDA and that chickenlitter is back on the allowed feed that is going to cattle-- Tyson was losing too much money with nowhere for their factory contracted chicken plants litter to go-- anyway the folks down south are telling me its being fed again as the cheapest feed available......

And I agree-- Cows weren't meant to eat chickensh*t.......

When I said "bout dam time", I knew it was still in practice today. But I'm hoping someone is working on it's elimination in the US.

PORKER said:
Anybody know where NCBA stands or their position on cattle fed chicken litter ?Or don't they care?

Our local Cattlemen's Assoc. condones it as long as the chicken feed does not contain MBM. The chicken feed plant near me does not use MBM. But then again, I don't feed chicken litter either.
Have been thinking about spreading it on my hayfields though.

Latest posts