• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thought's on a V-10

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AC Diesel

Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade the ranch pickup from a 91 f250 with a 460 to a V-10 99-05 f250. If I remember right don't some of you guy's have one? I love the super dutys I've got an 01 7.3 with 114k but it's too nice to convert to a beater. The REA that I work for had 2 that were in F450's and they were loaded to the hilt with a one man bucket and all the material that we carried and they were bullet proof. I'm just curious if anyone else had good luck with their V-10's. Thanks!

I've never had one, but I wouldn't be afraid of one.....except at the gas pump. Horses gotta be fed, whether they're in the barn or under the hood.

I have a 2004 F250 V-10, 95,000 mi. Mileage is about 7-8 mpg when hauling hay out with the bale bed or pulling a trailer. Before I added a grill guard, bale bed, and bigger mirrors I could get 14 on the hwy. Now maybe 12. 22 ft steel gooseneck loaded with cows weighed right at 30k gross, pulls it well enough. It's not a diesel but I don't need/didn't want a diesel.
The only thing I'd change is the transmission its paired with. Mine is a 4 spd auto, wish it was a manual or at least 5 spd auto.
I have no plans to upgrade vehicles for the forseeable future.

Next youngest brother has 2 of them. One with a DewEeze he has put a lot of use on. Bought them both on purpose. My nephew just got a new Hydra-Bed set up on his V-10, 02 I think. Bought that on purpose too. I want to know how bad your 460 is, but I'm cheap like that. Love my 94 F-350.

My 91 needs the front end rebuilt its probably not a big deal its got less than 120k, but I'd like to get into a Superduty I just think they are pretty hard to beat. I don't care about mileage but I'd guess I get 8 at best. I would think the V-10 would do a little better and pull harder.

My 09 v-10 is laying out in the yard. 135,000 miles the cam broke and caused ALOT of internal damage. The head is junk and every piston on the right side is junk. A used v-10 is $5000 on up for that year of truck got maybe 11 mpg highway but when the smoke cleared average mileage over all was 7 mpg. I 'd never buy another one.. We are about $11,000 into a 5.9 Cummins conversion it runs and drives but wont shift out of 1st gear it takes a lot of fidgeting to sync the 5r110 tranny to the new computer but we'll get it sooner or later.

Latest posts