• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thoughts on Vaccine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Since the pandemic began, I haven't had a day off. I've shown up 7 days a week to work and I have done whatever it takes to feed my family and to feed yours.
Ya see, I am a rancher. My cattle require care and water and feeding everyday, regardless of what happens in the world. When you all went into lock down, I still went to work. When you all started getting unemployment payments to stay home, I went to work. When you went to the grocery store and found empty shelves, I was working hard to send beef and lamb and pork to the processor, so that it could be sent out to restock those stores.

You had a choice to stay home or go into work for a while. I did not. And I'd like to explain why.
I have had this bunch of cattle since 1997. I am a proud 5th generation rancher who follows in the same footsteps of my Great-Great Grandfather and Mother who started our ranch here in the desert in the mid 1800's. It's a challenge to make a living in a place where rain is often scarce and grass is hard to come by.
But my lifestyle is one based on freedom. I have spent my life outside, on a horse. My days start when the sun rises and some don't end until the moon is high. I do whatever it takes to ensure my livestock are cared for and looked after, rain or shine.
So when Covid showed up in all its glory, I did what folks like me all over America and Canada do everyday; I put my head down and kept working. Lots of people in many vocations did the exact same thing. Police and Fire. Nurses and Doctors. Grocery store workers and Truck Drivers. We all just did what we do. Work.

I take a lot of pride in my work ethic. And I am not writing this for accolades or praise. I am writing this so that you folks who vilify me and others like me who aren't planning to be vaccinated might pitch me some slack. Back before the vaccine was available, none of you all seemed to care much that I was working and not in a lock down. In fact, Many of the people i listed above were told they were essential and could not stay home.

So what has changed? You all still enjoy eating regularly right? And I am still doing my very best to provide healthy, nutritious protein to America and the world, Right?
The way I see it, if my work during the height of the pandemic was essential, it sure as hell is just as important now. I will never vilify you for wearing a mask or getting vaccinated. And I simply wish you might allow me that same respect and freedom.

There is never a set of rules or regulations that fits neatly over everyone. One size never fits all. While major cities most likely need mandates, those of us in rural America feel strongly that our independence and freedom carry more weight than some self-serving politician telling us how we ought to live.
Mr. Patrick Henry put it very succinctly when he said in March of 1775, "Give me liberty, or give me death"! Can I die from Covid? Absolutely! Can the vaccine protect folks? Without a doubt! But to quote the Pro-Abortion liberals- "My body, My choice"! If that applies to someone doing something as serious as terminating a pregnancy, it should hold the same exact weight when i decide what i want injected into my body! I was essential/expendable for the past 18 months while I was working to feed you, un-vaccinated. I reckon not a whole bunch has changed.

Leanin' H

Very well said. I did a little calculating the other day. I compared population density on Manhattan Island NY to that of Baker County OR. On Manhattan there is 389 square feet per person. Baker County has 54,663,529 square feet per person. My question is given this why would or should the same rules apply?

And yet the governor of Oregon does this? Not political????

And yet the governor of Oregon does this? Not political????
We have been known to ignore Kate over in this part of the state.

Like the great line from the Outlaw Josey Wales-"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!

I still don't know that I will have a choice as the DOD has mandated all employees and contractors will be vaccinated or tested. My choice will become do I give up my job that I happen to enjoy and be pretty damn good at for my principles? Or get vaccinated? Time will tell I guess

I feel the vaccine should be a personal choice. I would like to see it FDA approved although that doesn't always mean much as stuff they approved has been pulled off the market.
Up here they keep saying follow the science. Well they told us to get 2 shots of the same vaccine 28 days apart. Then they stretched it 4 months, then they said it was Okay to mix vaccines, Where are the studies that approved these changes in protocol.
Then the inventor of the mRna vaccine says it shouldn't be used in this way and he is censored. Any scientist or doctor that speaks out against it is silenced.
Don't get me started on masks.

A multi vitamin with a higher vitamin C and D percentage and 30-50mg of Zinc per day does the same thing as the vaccine.

Like the great line from the Outlaw Josey Wales-"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!

I still don't know that I will have a choice as the DOD has mandated all employees and contractors will be vaccinated or tested. My choice will become do I give up my job that I happen to enjoy and be pretty damn good at for my principles? Or get vaccinated? Time will tell I guess
Before Kate lifted the mask mandate probably 30-40% of the people at the grocery store would be maskless. My bet is there will be even more people not wearing a mask now.
The only good reason to wear a mask is if you are robbing a stage coach. And the stage stopped running here a little over 130 years ago.

I have a great immune system (I don't catch things, thank you, God) and I am choosing NOT to get the vaccine. However it is causing me problems with my one social outing. I play cards with some ladies, 4 of them being old schoolteachers.
So they have decided they aren't comfortable having me play even though they have been fully vaccinated. I either have to get vaccinated OR wear a mask, which I'm not going to do. I don't believe in masks. I believe in washing your hands, wiping off the grocery cart with the sani-wipes the store provides.

Doesn't seem to me that they trust the vaccine to protect them.

So I won't play. I am upset because they are making their problem, MY problem.
I'm going to add, they go to swim meets and school events to watch their grandkids,
they will go to AZ and Mexico this winter, they don't want to change their lifestyle but they want me to change mine. This is a form of bullying, from old school teachers!!!! MORE DIVISION!

None of our family. Even brothers, cousins, their wives, etc. NONE of them are getting vaccinated at this point. Like BMR, I feel getting vaccinated is a personal choice. Like he says, too, they keep changing things. I think it is because THEY DON'T KNOW! I heard on the radio yesterday that if you are immune compromised, you should get a third booster! Where is it going to stop??? This has been manipulated from the start. It's about money and control.

I saw a cartoon the other day where a guy was talking to his doctor. He asked the doctor, "how long do you think this covid will last?" The doctor said, "I don't know. I'm a doctor, not a politician."

I don't believe in masks. I believe in washing your hands, wiping off the grocery cart with the sani-wipes the store provides.
I have been an advocate against masks and pro-hand sanitizing for years. I use Everclear straight and buy it by the half-gallon. Besides covid and other viruses and flu, it is great for cleaning animal wounds.

Nice write up Leanin. That says it all. Is it OK if I share your write-up on a conservative-leaning seniors forum? I will post it just as you wrote it and give you credit as Leanin H. I think your message deserves more exposure. I wish Fox News would come and do a documentary on your ranch.

We have been known to ignore Kate over in this part of the state.
We ignore Kate Adolphia H. Brown up here also. It will be interesting to see how many are masked when I visit Safeways next visit. On my last visit, only 2 out of over 100 were masked. Only employees wearing masks were the pharmacy workers when waiting on customers.

I looked it up as a % of the population Baker County is in the lead or very near in the state for people who have been vaccinated. I didn't write the numbers down but it is about 75% have had one shot. Around 63% are fully vaccinated. But we are also leading in the number of new cases in the state based on the percentage of the population. So if the vaccine works why is this happening? Wasn't the vaccine going to save us all?

I looked it up as a % of the population Baker County is in the lead or very near in the state for people who have been vaccinated. I didn't write the numbers down but it is about 75% have had one shot. Around 63% are fully vaccinated. But we are also leading in the number of new cases in the state based on the percentage of the population. So if the vaccine works why is this happening? Wasn't the vaccine going to save us all?
If you listen to the news, and I don't listen much anymore, the vaccine was the only thing to save us. The news reporters have aided and abetted this whole thing. They have spread FEAR far and wide and according to them, if you aren't vaccinated, you are DEAD.

I have read two reports that differ in that one report states the Pfizer vaccine is the best protection against this new variant and the other report says Moderna is more effective against the new variant. You can read anything and hear everything.

I'll tell you what I think: NO ONE KNOWS! Fauci doesn't know, which is evident because of his flip flopping.
Now they tell the ones that have been vaccinated to wear a mask.

I'm so over it all.

Latest posts