• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

To all the Texans and southerns

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tamarack

Reaction score
Just thought i would like to hear from the far south whats the weather like there? Heard there was a drought going on and hope it has given some relief to you in the spring.I am from the far north in Alberta Canada[eh] and we are still covered in 2ft of snow in our area calving is just starting on my ranch hope it warms up soon even if it makes lots of mud.Not really normal for here as we usually have water running and lakes with water and geese and ducks on them right now we just have lonely geese walking on frozen water.

I live in North Texas right along the Oklahoma-Texas border. It was 92 degrees here the other day. We are still in grips of drought.

Thanks nortex wish i could send some snow your way cool it down and give some moisture.Hows the feed situation,do you have to supplement with grain or is there any hay? We had a bad drought 2 yrs ago and almost shut us down had to sell half the herd but we got alot better at feeding with straw and supplements. Hope you get rain soon.

Thanks, Tamarack. We have been in this thing for 3 years. We have gotten a couple of rains in the last 21 days so hopefully we can break out of it. 50% chance tomorrow night. I'm already praying....

nortexsnook,did you get your rain tonight? Is raining here now but will turn to snow before morning as forcast for tonight is -7c and a high of -4c for tomorrow well must go for another cold quad ride to do my checks .

Tam..........you didn't give that snow a hard enough push,it just made it to the Dakota's!
The South Dakota boys are probably happy for the moisture..........nuff here for now..........

Sorry about that will try harder looks like there will be more had a storm most of week broke up some on weekend but forcast calling for more snow towards end of week please send some heat would like to do some haying and seeding this year.picture of some sun finally on saturday but cold and windy -13c last night 50kph wind.

What a differance a couple of weeks make today had a high of+29c and this evening its droped to +12 and calling for snow tomorrow hope it misses us just getting geared up for working in field disked about 20 ac tonight.Any rain for the texans?

redrobin said:
http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/14053/size/big/ppuser/3652

Wheat harvest is running a month or so behind here too. We had finished cutting the wheat and baled the oats/ryegrass by this time last year.

Combines rolling south on 281 by here all day yesterday and today.

They must imagine there will be something to harvest?

I live about an hour outside of Waco, Texas right in the heart of Texas. We're not really in a drought but not an abundance of rain either. Got 2 inches last week which was nice. Just right for grazing. Farming country is East of me I drove thru it last Monday and it looked really good. Our wheat is already drying and some corn will tassle in a week or so...milo will begin putting on heads in a few weeks. Haven't seen any cotton yet but sunflowers seem to be getting to be a good cash crop. More and more acreage every year it seems. Hopefully the rain will come just at the right times like it did last year. Everyone had record crop yields and prices were good. Cattle prices are still strong with a shortage of good cattle due to the '11 drought. Sale barns having small runs I understand.

Sounds like a promising year, just finished seeding canola and corn for winter grazing starting barley tomorrow we must be just about opposite if your crops are ripe or do you grow two crops a year?

We just plant a lot earlier down here. Most only get one crop a year but will have corn, milo, wheat and cotton in various places then rotate the next year.

TexasBred said:
We just plant a lot earlier down here. Most only get one crop a year but will have corn, milo, wheat and cotton in various places then rotate the next year.

When do the corn planters roll in central Texas?

We planted into warm, dry ground on May 8th and then promptly got 2" of snow the next weekend! Kinda shocked everything to a standstill. So now it's just starting to poke through.

Planting soys tonight or tomorrow morning, whenever the planter finishes at the neighbor's place.

burnt said:
TexasBred said:

When do the corn planters roll in central Texas?

We planted into warm, dry ground on May 8th and then promptly got 2" of snow the next weekend! Kinda shocked everything to a standstill. So now it's just starting to poke through.

Planting soys tonight or tomorrow morning, whenever the planter finishes at the neighbor's place.

Not a farmer but if memory serves me right most of the corn is planted by th end of March, followed by milo then cotton. Wheat harvest should start next week if it doesn't get rained on.

didnt get all barley seeded got rained out but forcast is calling for snow tonight hope they are wrong not unheard of this time of year still have some calves dropping but they bounce up fairly fast as it warms up fast once the sun comes out the days are long now.

Latest posts