• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Todays the day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

joaker

Reaction score
I bought our farm in 1986. Today I'm going into farm credit and paying it off. It's very big 145 acres, but tonight she's all mine!

That farm is going to look even better to you tomorrow. Congrats.

The borrower is slave to the lender.

Joaker, Congratulations! I paid off my home place last Friday. First time is 37 years I haven't had to write a check each month for the place I live. Feels good.

joaker said:
I bought our farm in 1986. Today I'm going into farm credit and paying it off. It's very big 145 acres, but tonight she's all mine!

This is a big deal to many of us.

I do not care how big or small or small it is - you own the ground now.

Congrats.

BC

Congratulations!!!! I remember that feeling of making that last land payment, it's a mixture of joy and relief. Time to do a "happy" dance!

I meant to say NOT very big. Tonight after work, when I turn up the drive it sure felt GOOD. I grad high school in 1976 near Decorah Iowa. Dad farmed and worked in town and I started at a filling station, remember those? Anyway the state of Iowa decided they needed most of dad's farm for a state recreation area and "bought" us out. Still about 40 acres left. The company Dad worked for decided to close the plant he was at in 1978 and moved him up to Minnesota where we live now. I got a job there too and lived with the folks, Salted the money away and really enjoyed the interest rates of the early 1980's.

Fast forward Farm Credit was almost giving farms away (didn't seem like at the time). I found this 225 acres I liked, Dad gave his approval. Dad bought 80 acres with some of the money form the Iowa farm and I bought the rest.

We didn't know it at the time and growled alot but the state of Iowa did us a HUGE favor. Bought out our farm at nearly the high of the market and we bought back in at nearly the low. Best move I ever made. Today I got 3 girls 2 in college, one in high school and so far none of them have had to borrow to go to college. Hope it keeps up

Thanks to everybody here.

Latest posts