• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Top 10 Most Heavily Armed States

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
May be surprising! Wyoming......wow!!!!!!!

Here's the complete top 10 list of the most heavily armed states in America:
1.Wyoming – 195.7 guns per 1,000 residents
2.District of Columbia – 66.4 guns per 1,000 residents
3.Arkansas – 41.6 guns per 1,000 residents
4.New Mexico – 40.5 guns per 1,000 residents
5.Virginia – 30.1 guns per 1,000 residents
6.Idaho – 24.2 guns per 1,000 residents
7.Alabama – 20 guns per 1,000 residents
8.Nevada – 19.5 guns per 1,000 residents
9.Alaska – 15.2 guns per 1,000 residents
10.Louisiana – 15.1 guns per 1,000 residents

I have no idea where USA Today got these numbers. Surprising to me is the Washington D.C. figure.

The numbers do seem too low. Assuming just on gun per owner, and less than 200 people, per thousand of population would own guns in the highest state listed, down to under 15 in the lowest. Most gun owners I know own more than one, granted that isn't a whole lot of gun owners, but making a point that the numbers don't seem reasonable. And it seems to me that quite a few gun owners have them for the craftsmanship and/or antique value, or design, as much as for the utility of them, so get into sort of a collector mode, which can add quite a bit to many individuals' gun ownership.

mrj

You might be surprised at the number of inner city people who have never been around a gun. That's where most of the people in the USA live. Miami, Atlanta, New York, etc. etc.

The number of rural folks ain't a drop in the bucket.

Supposedly, there are 80 million civilian guns in the U.S. total.

jedstivers said:
I'm doing my part.
Trying to do my part on ammo too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm working on that myself. Try to make a habit of reloading at least 100 rounds every weekend.

One thing this report doesn't count is, just how many gun owners jump and say "you didn't count me, please count me. Please, purty please"

aint no one knows how many guns ive got or calibers,,, or for that matter where some of them are stashed along with ammo

another link says we have 88.8 guns per 1000
https://top5ofanything.com/list/de09aa45/Countries-with-the-Most-Guns-%28firearms%29-Per-Capita

Civilians own approximately 650 million guns (firearms) worldwide, roughly 75 per cent of the known total. US citizens alone own some 270 million of these, with about 90 firearms for every 100 people. There is roughly one gun (firearm) for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, this drops to about one gun (firearm) per ten people. (a.)

I would bet the DC number is because of the mandatory registration.. and other states being lower due to many folk not telling nor giving that info out..

in NJ they pretty much know who owns guns .. as you have to get a "NJ firearm purchaser ID card"
there are exceptions but to "purchase a gun" you have to have a valid card and they KNOW who bought guns...
DC is worse.. so they KNOW who legally has guns. all the rest are considered criminals

Latest posts