• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Top three movies list

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Alabama said:
3 great ones Denny. Did you ever get a letter from me?

Yes sir I did thanks will add that to my others from other states thanks. Its snowing here so hard right now you can maybe see 1/8 of a mile got a cow calveing right now out in the snow will have to gather her up once she has it and get her in the barn.

I got 27 calves so far 7 heifers and 20 bulls should have a bunch today and tonight in this kind of weather.

My inlaws are going to winter in Alabama next winter.I will have to go visit them probaly look you fellows up when we get down that way..

Alabama said:
Come see us when you get to Alabama. What part of Alabama are you going to?

I think they want to winter near Mobile but not for sure.

You planting corn yet.

Only thing we can plant around here right now is "WILD OATS" but its a dirty job that NEEDS to be done...

Denny - I don't know what your windbreak situation is like but when we had Jan./Feb. calving 2 years ago, I would just take a small square bale of straw out to the momma and baby to keep it off of the snow, if they were out of the wind. It was sure a lot safer than trying to move a cranky momma cow.

We moved back to mid April again. Can't beat calving out in the warm spring sun in my opinion.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Denny - I don't know what your windbreak situation is like but when we had Jan./Feb. calving 2 years ago, I would just take a small square bale of straw out to the momma and baby to keep it off of the snow, if they were out of the wind. It was sure a lot safer than trying to move a cranky momma cow.

We moved back to mid April again. Can't beat calving out in the warm spring sun in my opinion.

The snow has quit and the sun is out talk about a fast weather change the calf is up and sucking so it should be fine where its at.

I planted my corn last weekend and got a little rain on it this week. the weather is still a little cool this year so I don't expect to see it poking up for two weeks. I ran out of seed so I will plant sweet corn in the last few short rows sometime in April.
My rye grass pastures are growing fast. I put 60 units of N on them 3 weeks ago and now the cows can't keep up. Several of the mammas have more milk than the calves can drink. I may have to milk some of them as the bag is geting over swolen.

Boy, Alabama, milking those cows is asking for it, in my opinion. We just leave them alone and nature runs its course. You start milking and you can cause mastitis, plus the more you milk, the more milk the cow will give. That has been our experience, anyway. We used to use milking needles and caused ourself some major problems, as that lets bacteria into the bag.

We have never spoiled a bag by NOT milking, but we have by milking a cow because we thought she gave too much milk. Will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

If a calf was sucking three quarters we got the cow in and broke open the fourth quarter. Don't do that anymore, either. All that work and you just add to the problems. The calf will take more on his own when he is ready. If he isn't getting any milk and can't break the seal on any quarter, that is a different story altogether, but we haven't had that happen except maybe a time or two.

On the subject of movies, Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor. His movie, THE FAR COUNTRY was top of the line when I was a kid. There was a bell he had tied to the bottom of his saddle horn in the movie, and the next day (I was in the fifth grade), when I went to school, I wore a small bell tied to the belt loop on my britches. It didn't take the teacher long to hurt my feelings, and rid the classroom of the disruption of the dinging bell. :(

James Stewart's movie SASKATCHEWAN was also pretty good, but THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB was better. Even HARVEY about the invisible rabbit was quite entertaining.

My wife talked me into going to a couple "chick flicks" a few years back, and I enjoyed both THE PRINCESS DIARIES and LEGALLY BLONDE (the first one). With the animal rights BS and queer overtones of LEGALLY BLONDE II, I wouldn't (and didn't) go across the street to see it.

One of the very best movies I ever saw is not "available" any more. It was a Gordon Eastman production entitled NEVER LOOK BACK, and was filmed in the Jackson Hole area with the ever fabulous Tetons for a backdrop. The movie had a lot of horse and packstring film footage, and some super stunt flying in airplanes. The "hero" of the show was both a packer/wrangler and a pilot. A few years ago, I went to quite a little trouble trying to run down a copy of this great film, but came to a dead end.

And now onto the subject of milking out cows with too much milk. My experience goes along with what Faster Horses has to say. One word, DON'T. You are just making extra work, and taking a chance of spoiling the bag. Of course, it might spoil anyway, but if we ever have to put a cow into the head catch to perform such duties, she gets a free one-way ride to town. After culling for this problem, it is no longer a problem.

My favorite all time movie is "Being There" starring Peter Sellers. The theme I took from it was that it doesn't take a genius to become big in the world, just say what people are wanting to hear.

Soapweed said:
And now onto the subject of milking out cows with too much milk. My experience goes along with what Faster Horses has to say. One word, DON'T. You are just making extra work, and taking a chance of spoiling the bag. Of course, it might spoil anyway, but if we ever have to put a cow into the head catch to perform such duties, she gets a free one-way ride to town. After culling for this problem, it is no longer a problem.

Amen, Soapweed. Worked for a large ranch 20 years ago and I kept telling them they should cull those kind of cows. They thought they were the best cows. When the people that made the decisions had to deal with them, they started culling. It also helped that I was promoted to be the "mouther" and most of the big baggers were sadly missing a tooth.

Soapweed, I'm with you on milking out "potential baggers," but when I need more colostrum in the bank I don't mind milking out the niccer cows. When i switched to Leachman bulls from MARC bulls, the bags really mproved. Its amazing how much a sound bag goes to help a frail calf get that first nitroblast

Anybody else wonder what job assignments must preceed ascention to "mouther"

3 flicks

1) The Outlaw Josey Wales. "pay me when you see me again Josey Wales" "there is iron in your words of death, and so your words of life" "Mahsourah scum"

2) Cowboys. "I'm more than twice your age, had my hip broke twice, my back broke once, and on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you before breakfast" I just like the coopers

3) Walstreet "sleep is for $#%^&*%"

Several have mentioned "The Outlaw Josey Wales" as among their favorite movies. Have you ever read the book? It is an awesome read. A lot of things are brought out in the book that was missed in the movie. The author is Forrest Carter who is among my favorite authors. His writings are so true to life; he even mentions packing grain for the horses--and using many elements to his advantage.Things like stratagic planning in giving an adversary the disadvantage of facing the sun when in a gunfight; he covered a lot of things that usually are left out.

Though he didn't write very many books, they are all excellent. "The Outlaw Josey Wales, "Gone To Texas"-Also known as "The Vengance Trail of Josey Wales", "Watch For Me On the Mountain"-the story of Geronimo and the Apace Nation, "The Education of Little Tree." All are fiction based on fact, except "Little Tree" is supposed to be an autobiography, though I have read where that is open to debate. I prefer to think it was a true accounting of his childhood. It is also an excellent movie, a great one for young and old. I just watched it last month. Forrest Carter has passed away and I am proud to say I own all his books. He had the honor of being Storyteller-In-Chief to the Cherokee Nation.

BTW, I missed when posting (what I thought was) my husband's favorite movies. He says they are "The Good Old Boys" (starring Tommy Lee Jones); "The Cowboys" and "The Rounders." But the others would be included in his top 6 favorties!!!

I wrote all the favorites down that were posted here because we haven't seen some of them. It is great when a movie is recommended. There are so many not worthy of watching. And these new actors, Whew! There are so many that you (I) never even heard of before.

Latest posts