• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Toxic gas hides meat spoilage, firm says

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
STAFF said:
MRJ should read what was explained.

Who "explained" it that you are telling me is worth reading? I haven't much time right now. Set to leave for Omaha in minutes. I will read the research material when I return home Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, everyone!

MRJ
 

Beefman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
Sandhusker said:
]Sandhusker: You think that selling BSE tested beef to people who actually ask for it is deception, but pumping chemicals into packages unbeknowest to consumers is not.

Beefman, "(Note: Fly that “pumping chemical” flag. Works every time)

Am I wrong, Beefman?

You're fundamentally correct, yet technically flawed. How's that!?!?! Life is one big chemistry set. You're asking the question the same way Oprah would, as if something's wrong. "Pumping chemicals" in the manner you're using it, and have used it in this thread, has an intended negative connotation. Do you tell the good citizens of Cody NE you "pump chemicals into their drinking water?" There goes your freshness argument, so I guess it's not possible to get a glass of "fresh" water in Cody. This is a play on words much like when Haymaker, even more inaccurately started this thread with “toxic gasses hide meat spoilage”.
Sandhusker: The issue is consumers wanting (and believing they are paying for) fresh beef. If they are using color as an indicator of freshness and that color is not due to the beef being fresh but rather because of chemical reaction, there's a hoodwinking going on.

Beefman, "NOTE: see comment on refrigeration. "

You didn't address the question. Is that meat red for the reasons they are buying it?

Of course. Just like any other red meat purchase, with the added benefits of MAP packaging.

Another observation; Do customers link the words "fresh" with "preservatives"? I certainly don't. I do the opposite - fresh means no preservatives. I expect certain products on the shelf to have preservatives, but go to your local meat counter and count how many times you see the word "fresh".

Your turning this into something it isn’t. I would suggest you’d walk out of the grocery store empty handed if you only bought “no preservative” items. Otherwise, you’d better plan on eating only food you;ve grown and harvested yourself.

Beefman
 

S.S.A.P.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
863
Reaction score
1
Location
Saskatchewan
Econ101 said:
S.S.A.P. said:
Econ101, I have to ask; Did you take it back to the store? And what were the results of that return? Did you report the fly eggs to the FDA or whoever fly eggs should be reported to?

Curious .....

No, I didn't. It was not worth the trouble. I had to get rid of the mess in the house and I wasn't going to to where the store was. Some things just are not worth the trouble but you should always learn from an experience. I am just sharing that experience.

I will not be buying anything from that store again or any fresh or perishable products from that chain of stores again. Live and learn.

I'm surprised! After reading all your posts I find it hard to believe that in your own words "it wasn't worth the trouble" to take back a whole, seasoned, pork loin covered with fly eggs which you also suspect was pre-packaged. A man with your knowledge and gift of words should have, at the very least, been able to get it replaced, if not a considerable free supply.

You missed your chance to make a retailer and a packer pay for destroying a fresh or perishable product market. :wink:


I had to get rid of the mess in the house

What did you do? Throw it on the floor and kick it around trying to knock the seasoning off? Here I thought I was a messy cook. :roll:
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Beefman, "Do you tell the good citizens of Cody NE you "pump chemicals into their drinking water?" There goes your freshness argument, so I guess it's not possible to get a glass of "fresh" water in Cody."

You're wrong, Beefman. You still can get a glass of fresh water in Cody, Nebraska. We put nothing in it, other than lots of love.

Quote:


Sandhusker: The issue is consumers wanting (and believing they are paying for) fresh beef. If they are using color as an indicator of freshness and that color is not due to the beef being fresh but rather because of chemical reaction, there's a hoodwinking going on. Is that meat red for the reasons they are buying it?

Beefman, "Of course. Just like any other red meat purchase, with the added benefits of MAP packaging."

Whoa up there. "With the added benefits..."? There should be no added benefits needed if the beef is fresh as the consumer is being led to believe it is. If the reason that meat is red is because of MAP packaging but the consumer thinks it is because of freshness, there needs to be some communication because the consumer is NOT getting what they think they are. I don't see that as good for selling beef long term.

Quote:


Another observation; Do customers link the words "fresh" with "preservatives"? I certainly don't. I do the opposite - fresh means no preservatives. I expect certain products on the shelf to have preservatives, but go to your local meat counter and count how many times you see the word "fresh".


Beefman, " I would suggest you’d walk out of the grocery store empty handed if you only bought “no preservative” items. Otherwise, you’d better plan on eating only food you;ve grown and harvested yourself."

I agree with you that preservatives are in about everything. However, you can't tell me that the word "fresh" does not carry with it certain ingrained expectations - one of them being that there would be no preservatives as they are not needed.
 

Beefman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
Sandhusker said:
Whoa up there. "With the added benefits..."? There should be no added benefits needed if the beef is fresh as the consumer is being led to believe it is. If the reason that meat is red is because of MAP packaging but the consumer thinks it is because of freshness, there needs to be some communication because the consumer is NOT getting what they think they are. I don't see that as good for selling beef long term.
MAP is just what it is, superior packaging. If the eating experience is positive, the customer will be back. That's what matters. Added benefits refers to items mentioned in the OK State file I referenced this morning. Additionally, fewer people are handling the product prior to the consumer's table, thus potential of contamination is reduced.

I trust Herbie Husker will take his A game to Colo on Fri. I'll be a Neb fan on Fri. Can't stand the Buffs. Got to see Coach Snyder's final game at KSU last Sat. That was basically our bowl game for the year. The man went out in style.

Beefman
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Beefman said:
Sandhusker said:
Whoa up there. "With the added benefits..."? There should be no added benefits needed if the beef is fresh as the consumer is being led to believe it is. If the reason that meat is red is because of MAP packaging but the consumer thinks it is because of freshness, there needs to be some communication because the consumer is NOT getting what they think they are. I don't see that as good for selling beef long term.
MAP is just what it is, superior packaging. If the eating experience is positive, the customer will be back. That's what matters. Added benefits refers to items mentioned in the OK State file I referenced this morning. Additionally, fewer people are handling the product prior to the consumer's table, thus potential of contamination is reduced.

I trust Herbie Husker will take his A game to Colo on Fri. I'll be a Neb fan on Fri. Can't stand the Buffs. Got to see Coach Snyder's final game at KSU last Sat. That was basically our bowl game for the year. The man went out in style.

Beefman

If it's altering the product, it's more than packaging. :wink: If consumers are looking at color as an indication of freshness, and we know they are, and they find out that color is a product of manipulation, will they be pleased? If MAP is such a great deal, why not promote it? It looks to me that it is more of a "they'll never know" type of deal. Regardless, it's certainly less than honest.

I don't know if Big Red has an "A" game this year. Our run D has disappeared and our O line is a patchwork of Freshmen and backups. I, too have no use for the Buffs. They are the epitome of no class, fans and program both. I've heard the same from Sooner, Clone, Cat, and Rams fans - they all act like a bunch of 16 year old punks on their first six-pack.

I was surprised Snyder left on the note he did - I would of thought he would leave after this latest swoon was corrected. Are they going to promote or go outside the program?
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
S.S.A.P. said:
Econ101 said:
S.S.A.P. said:
Econ101, I have to ask; Did you take it back to the store? And what were the results of that return? Did you report the fly eggs to the FDA or whoever fly eggs should be reported to?

Curious .....

No, I didn't. It was not worth the trouble. I had to get rid of the mess in the house and I wasn't going to to where the store was. Some things just are not worth the trouble but you should always learn from an experience. I am just sharing that experience.

I will not be buying anything from that store again or any fresh or perishable products from that chain of stores again. Live and learn.

I'm surprised! After reading all your posts I find it hard to believe that in your own words "it wasn't worth the trouble" to take back a whole, seasoned, pork loin covered with fly eggs which you also suspect was pre-packaged. A man with your knowledge and gift of words should have, at the very least, been able to get it replaced, if not a considerable free supply.

You missed your chance to make a retailer and a packer pay for destroying a fresh or perishable product market. :wink:


I had to get rid of the mess in the house

What did you do? Throw it on the floor and kick it around trying to knock the seasoning off? Here I thought I was a messy cook. :roll:

SSAP, I can be a butt when I want to.

There are a lot of stores in our area and I would rather vote with my pocketbook on this one.

Sometimes it is just not worth picking up a hundred dollar bill for some people, as an economist acquantence of mine once says.

It is a rabbit and I like big game.

I didn't even feed it to the dogs. I wrapped it up and threw it out. My wife doesn't like me to cook things for the dogs. She says that is what dog food is for. Now you see why I am so interested in making sure dogfood is made well.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Conman 101: "I bought a pork loin once from Save a lot. Left it in the frige for 2 days and then took it out to cut up and cook. The package was one of those marinated deals that was sealed. When I opened it up and took it out of the package I saw all of these little brown rice looking things. At first I thought it was the seasoning. Then I looked a little closer and saw that it was fly eggs. Needless to say, I don't buy any meat from Save a lot any more. Those fly eggs were more of an indication that the meat was not handled properly than color. I don't mind paying for good handling of meat."

Conman 101: "Beefman, that was a whole pork loin, seasoned, in a vacum packed plastic package. There was no smelling it as it was sealed. In addition, when I opened the package, it was a little smelly, not a whole lot. It was as if someone re-pckaged it."

How many of you actually believe this????

An allegation of fly eggs in meat from the guy who thought his phone was being tapped when the phoneman was working on it. Hahaha!

This allegation of fly eggs is bullsh*t!

First, flies don't blow eggs on meat until the meat is tainted. I know because we taint meat on a regular basis for coyote bait.

Second, if the meat is sealed, the flies don't have access to the meat to blow eggs on it.

Third, if it was tainted enough for the flies to blow eggs, the smell would knock your socks off when you opened the vacuum sealed package.

Those are facts people!

This is just one more example of Conman 101's conspiring mind.

Readers, stop and think about this. This is a "no brainer".


~SH~
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
~SH~ said:
Conman 101: "I bought a pork loin once from Save a lot. Left it in the frige for 2 days and then took it out to cut up and cook. The package was one of those marinated deals that was sealed. When I opened it up and took it out of the package I saw all of these little brown rice looking things. At first I thought it was the seasoning. Then I looked a little closer and saw that it was fly eggs. Needless to say, I don't buy any meat from Save a lot any more. Those fly eggs were more of an indication that the meat was not handled properly than color. I don't mind paying for good handling of meat."

Conman 101: "Beefman, that was a whole pork loin, seasoned, in a vacum packed plastic package. There was no smelling it as it was sealed. In addition, when I opened the package, it was a little smelly, not a whole lot. It was as if someone re-pckaged it."

How many of you actually believe this????

An allegation of fly eggs in meat from the guy who thought his phone was being tapped when the phoneman was working on it. Hahaha!

This allegation of fly eggs is bullsh*t!

First, flies don't blow eggs on meat until the meat is tainted. I know because we taint meat on a regular basis for coyote bait.

Second, if the meat is sealed, the flies don't have access to the meat to blow eggs on it.

Third, if it was tainted enough for the flies to blow eggs, the smell would knock your socks off when you opened the vacuum sealed package.

Those are facts people!

This is just one more example of Conman 101's conspiring mind.

Readers, stop and think about this. This is a "no brainer".


~SH~

SH, I know a lot more about the fly reproductive cycle than you will probably ever know. I have had a real interest in entomological studies and spent a lot of time in the labs at the university when younger.

It is obvious to me that in the repackaging process for the meat, there was some cross contamination probably with a dirty work area. There was no indication that those fly eggs came from that piece of meat. There were no larvea in the meat or crawling around anywhere nor were there any dead ones. That is what made it pretty puzzeling when I saw the eggs. They were definitely eggs and not some exotic spice as I excised one of them (I say eggs but what I really mean is pupae, my wife doesn't really know the difference and so it is with most people). They were about the size of a piece of rice, sloping down from larger one side than the other. They were a light brown kind of orange color-not the dark brown you would see in an about to be hatched pupae. The meat was extra slimy but the odor was not one that indicated that there was any reproduction within that piece of meat. Probably happened in the marinade.

And yes, you were correct in the assumption that if they fly eggs had hatched from the meat in question, they would have made it smell real bad and as I stated this was not the case.

They were not bow fly eggs, but regular house fly eggs. Yes, SH, I know the difference.

The problem with you, SH is that you don't know what to do with evidence if you see it. If it does not fit with your line of thinking, then it does not exist. While this type of critical thinking is good, your packer backer excesses you go to are obvious.

Any one can see your biases.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Conman: "SH, I know a lot more about the fly reproductive cycle than you will probably ever know."

Hahahaha!

Well bully for you! Would you like me to send you a "Bucky Beaver Badge"?

Ok Conman, whatever you say. Fly eggs in your meat and someone tapping your phone line. BROWN EGGS TOO! LOL!

What an imagination!


~SH~
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
~SH~ said:
Conman: "SH, I know a lot more about the fly reproductive cycle than you will probably ever know."

Hahahaha!

Well bully for you! Would you like me to send you a "Bucky Beaver Badge"?

Ok Conman, whatever you say. Fly eggs in your meat and someone tapping your phone line. BROWN EGGS TOO! LOL!

What an imagination!


~SH~

No, you didn't earn it.
 

Latest posts

Top