• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Toyota to add 10 hybrids to lineup

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
You did see that Bush's energy bill didn't do anything to help with gasoline prices or make a dent in American's dependence on foreign oil! Watch and see, he's going to push for taxpayers to build a pipe line from ANWAR so the oil companies can afford to pump that small field. At this point, I don't know of a hybrid that can pull a loaded stock trailer. So it'll probably be a while before one sets in my front yard. :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
There ought to be a law that the president and vice president can't both be connected to the same big business :D :D

We wish! Though you have to be careful what you wish for sometimes.

I am realistic enough to know that ALL politicians are beholden to lobbyists but here we have certain lobbies holding the cards.

Actually, I think Bush is on anyone's side if they're big business. Look at what he's done for the drug companies.

And people said gasoline prices would go down and the economy would benefit in a war in Iraq.

Well, when you have our elected leaders saying that the Iraqis will welcome us with open arms, that they can fund their own reconstruction, and that the war will only last about six weeks, it made the invasion an "acceptable" risk to a lot of people. The problem is that our elected leaders were completely wrong in their assessments. And it's their own fault, Gen. Shinseki told then what was needed for a successful operation. They didn't like what he said, so they replaced him and went on with their own foolish plans.

Well, when you have our elected leaders saying that the Iraqis will welcome us with open arms, that they can fund their own reconstruction, and that the war will only last about six weeks, it made the invasion an "acceptable" risk to a lot of people. The problem is that our elected leaders were completely wrong in their assessments. And it's their own fault, Gen. Shinseki told then what was needed for a successful operation. They didn't like what he said, so they replaced him and went on with their own foolish plans.[/quote]

My son said that when they pulled into Baghdad, they were welcomed with open arms, by most of the citizens. You've been getting too much of your info from the wrong sources, evidently.

Those who think that PR and jingoistic beef ads and electing conservative congresspeople will bring back the past are dreaming.

while niether has any thing to do with a company choosing to build hybrids, it shows that your views are to attack the beef industry and those that "vote conservatively"...

If you read the article carefully you will soon see that you will have to wait, as it is "only planning" on "adding" ten models over the next decade,,But many of the new introductions slated are from, other manufactors with out the same coverage given to "japanese manufactors"...unless you are for increased trade deficits (LOL),, While I commend Toyota for "leading" the auto inustry, it may find there are other factors, such as price and hauling needs that hinder a lot of people from buying hybrids....something US manufactors are addressing....with little credit of fanfare...

Daimler-Chrysler
Dodge Ram

Daimler-Chrysler
Mercedes S-class

Ford
Escape

General Motors
Chevy Equinox

General Motors
Chevy Silverado

General Motors
GMC-Sierra

General Motors
Saturn-VUE

Maybe Dis you should try out the Dodge "contractor special" hybrid Ram pickup

""We're focusing our efforts on delivering real-life benefits to the consumer in the vehicles we know they want," Eberhardt says. Knowing people want a V-8 gasoline engine in their trucks, Chrysler is trying to make the Hemi "as fuel efficient as possible. That's why we come up with things like MDS that provide real-life 10%, 15% to 20% (fuel-economy) benefits.""

Disagreeable said:
You did see that Bush's energy bill didn't do anything to help with gasoline prices or make a dent in American's dependence on foreign oil! :lol:

You were hoping for price controls, and requirements to build cars consumers don't want, perhaps?

reader (the Second) said:
To me, this is forward thinking on the part of this JAPANESE company, of the sort that I would like to see US companies do to keep us competitive. When we discuss organic beef and other special markets and I tell you all about the trends I see in young consumers, I am saying HAVE AN OPEN MIND TO CONSUMER TRENDS IN ORDER TO STAY COMPETITIVE. Those who think that PR and jingoistic beef ads and electing conservative congresspeople will bring back the past are dreaming.

Note that there are certain test markets in the U.S. such as California where new trends are forecasted and validated. Y'all should be paying attention to them, not hiding your heads in the sand, as this article illustrates for the automobile market.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota to add 10 hybrids to lineup

By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAYThu Aug 4, 6:54 AM ET

In its attempt to be the leading environmentally friendly automaker, Toyota (TM) says it will add 10 hybrid cars to its lineup and plans to sell 600,000 hybrids annually, or 25% of its total sales, in the USA in the next decade.

Hybrids are a key part of Toyota's effort to reduce the automotive industry's dependence on foreign oil, said Jim Press, the company's North American president and COO.

The company is also developing vehicles that use clean diesel, natural gas and hydrogen power.

Consumers are demanding more environmentally friendly cars, and Press called on the auto industry to come together and find ways to address consumer concerns.

"To do that, I propose we put together a meeting of top automotive leaders in a neutral location where we all leave our company name badges at the door," Press said at the Center for Automotive Research's Management Briefing Seminar. "That way, we can engage in candid dialogue, unify and come out with a positive direction."

The auto industry historically bristles at the thought of governmental regulation, especially when it comes to increasing average fuel economy.

Even Toyota recently complained in a federal filing that an increase in corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, standards would hurt its profitability and could affect the number of vehicles the company offers in the USA.

"Think of what we could do with issues like CAFE and global warming if we join hands and develop our own vision for the future, rather than waiting for regulators to do it for us," Press said. "Let's drive the process and not get run over by it."

Sales of the company's Prius hybrid car are booming, especially with gas prices staying over $2 a gallon. Sales are up 133% this year, and dealers continue to have waiting lists of buyers looking to purchase the car.

Toyota's hybrids, which are powered by an electric motor at slow speeds and a gasoline engine at higher speeds, can save about 20% on fuel consumption.

But Press said drivers aren't concerned only with the cost of gas.

"Hybrids are a simple way to make an important difference in curtailing foreign-oil dependence, air pollution and greenhouse gases, plus they're a lot of fun to drive," Press said.

"Being able to thumb your nose at gas stations on a regular basis is an added bonus."

Has anyone done the math lately to see how many miles it takes for a hybrid to be worth the extra money? A couple years ago it was like 140,000 miles. I'm sure it's less now. I will stick to tried and true Diesel for now, although if I remember correctly, it still takes from 80 to 100,000 to recoup that cost. Wish there were more choices for diesels in cars and light duty pickups, though, as in other countries. I have read where more models are expected in '07. Does anyone on here have an E85 compatible by any chance, or used bio-diesel blend exclusively?

Cal said:
Disagreeable said:
You did see that Bush's energy bill didn't do anything to help with gasoline prices or make a dent in American's dependence on foreign oil! :lol:

You were hoping for price controls, and requirements to build cars consumers don't want, perhaps?

No, I was hoping for "real" incentives to encourage the use of solar and wind power, for a couple of examples. Bush continually lies and says he can't do anything about the price at the pumps. Richard Nixon froze gasoline prices, Bush can, too. But he'll wait until the prices start back down (if they ever do), then he'll freeze them to protect the oil company's huge profits. I saw that GM bought an auto parts plant in India. More jobs lost to that country.

Disagreeable said:
Cal said:
Disagreeable said:

No, I was hoping for "real" incentives to encourage the use of solar and wind power, for a couple of examples. Bush continually lies and says he can't do anything about the price at the pumps. Richard Nixon froze gasoline prices, Bush can, too. But he'll wait until the prices start back down (if they ever do), then he'll freeze them to protect the oil company's huge profits. I saw that GM bought an auto parts plant in India. More jobs lost to that country.

"Real" incentives for solar and wind power, which are questionable anyway, probably aren't terribly important compared to energy needed for transporation. There are several ways to generate electricity that don't require oil, unless you're thinking about a solar, windpowered car??

Freezing gasoline prices? What a great idea! That is if you really want demand to exceed supply, like what happened in the 70's. Or maybe like the electricity outages in CA.

You're worried about a price cap when prices start back down? Are you sure about that?

In New Jersey the proposed off shore wind generation plant was hailed by the enviromentalists as:

Representative (Democrat) Frank J. Pallone Jr., who represents much of coastal Monmouth County, one of the proposed wind farm sites, has said that he plans to introduce a bill that would establish a moratorium on mid-Atlantic offshore wind farms until a comprehensive study of all potential environmental and socioeconomic impacts has been completed.

In mid-December 2004, New Jersey Acting Governor (Democrat) Richard Codey announced he would sign an Executive Order (EO) establishing a moratorium on windmills off the coast

Clean Ocean Action (COA) supports Acting Governor Codey's initiative as a responsible and reasonable good governance approach to this proposed ocean based activity.

So if Wind Power generation is so important to the Liberal energy policy why are the Liberal leaders shutting it down with out even a chance to review it's benifits???

and elsewhere in the great Dem state of Vermont, again no to wind power:

In Vermont, the Agency of Natural Resources concluded that large-scale wind plants should not be built on state-owned lands.

add in Massachusits and it seems all the Democratic strong holds don't want anything to do with Wind power....why?

it is not the Republicans holding up wind power it is the liberal democrats,

Steve said:
In New Jersey the proposed off shore wind generation plant was hailed by the enviromentalists as:

Representative (Democrat) Frank J. Pallone Jr., who represents much of coastal Monmouth County, one of the proposed wind farm sites, has said that he plans to introduce a bill that would establish a moratorium on mid-Atlantic offshore wind farms until a comprehensive study of all potential environmental and socioeconomic impacts has been completed.

In mid-December 2004, New Jersey Acting Governor (Democrat) Richard Codey announced he would sign an Executive Order (EO) establishing a moratorium on windmills off the coast

Clean Ocean Action (COA) supports Acting Governor Codey's initiative as a responsible and reasonable good governance approach to this proposed ocean based activity.

So if Wind Power generation is so important to the Liberal energy policy why are the Liberal leaders shutting it down with out even a chance to review it's benifits???

and elsewhere in the great Dem state of Vermont, again no to wind power:

In Vermont, the Agency of Natural Resources concluded that large-scale wind plants should not be built on state-owned lands.

add in Massachusits and it seems all the Democratic strong holds don't want anything to do with Wind power....why?

it is not the Republicans holding up wind power it is the liberal democrats,

Yes, but you KNOW that it has to be Bush's fault, somehow.

Hey Steve, have you found time to go boating this summer or do anything else fun? Keep up the great work!

Hey Steve, have you found time to go boating this summer or do anything else fun?

Not much the darn economy keeps getting in the way....I have sold my boat (huge profit) and plan on just using a real nice Chapperall 240, that the company owns for the rest of the season,, it was a really good summer, had to hire extra help, I am ussually a bit slower by now, and getting some fun in, but so far I've had three days off this summer, ( since April 1 ) if you exclude my vacation to Alaska,

I am waiting to see the 06 line up to order a new boat for next summer,,,

Steve said:
I am waiting to see the 06 line up to order a new boat for next summer,,,

Great! So can next years ranchers.net get together be at your house? I'll bring my canoe and tractor tubes. :lol:

Sounds good, The more the better,,

I am sorry that I can't make this years as it would be great to get out to South Dakota, but my work load is way to heavy this year...

Latest posts