• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tracto H.P. loss at elevation?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bverellen

Reaction score
I'm working on some equipment numbers for hay equipment. While matching up PTO H.P. size to a mower conditioner it struck me that there may be a loss of H.P. at higher elevations (8000ft.)

Any of you folks know about this or does it not matter?

Thanks.

bart. †

Cedarcreek said:
Not on a turbocharged engine. There will be on a naturally aspirated engine but I don't know how much.

are you sure about that? i think it would affect a turbo, don't know for sure though. i'm not good with engines and stuff. :wink:

If you have a good exhaust system on an engine with a turbo you should have no problems as the turbo should produce way more boost than is needed and dump the rest - - - as you go higher there is less to dump.

Gas engines work the same way except almost nobody turbo charges them. My sister has a super charged pontiac and it does great at higher elevations.

If I was going th have to work at higher elevations I would just make sure all equipment be turbo charged - - - see what the others in the area are using.

Hey Bart, I'ts 7800' elevation here where I'm at and I've never really thought about it but I'm sure you lose some power but have never noticed a problem. I'd just match your power plant to the task at hand plus give your self 10 to 20% more horsepower for capacity sake and you should be fine.

For example, the manufacture recommends, on a 4x4x8 baler like I'm running, a 160 PTO HP minimum and I'm assuming that's at sea level. I used for years a Case 2390 that's rated at 165 pto hp and it ran like a charm, with lots of baling capacity. That tractor went to heck on me so I'm using a NH 8970 210 PTO HP tractor... and yeah I can drive some faster on doubled windrows but the main reason I got a bigger HP tractor was to cover the same acres faster when doing field work in the spring.

Latest posts