• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tractor of choice???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

our local NH dealer sells a few of them. I like the cab on them. they work great for baling hay. we went to a JD 8100 to bale with....miss the Genesis

We have three JD 4455's, a 4255, and a 4960. I love that series and vintage of the JD line. I figure I can own several good used tractors for the price of a brand new one.

i had a JD 4630 as my main loader/haying tractor for years. it seen alot of hours with very few problems. the only complaint i had with the 4630 is that it was very cold blooded. i have since moved "up" to a JD 4450 MFWD and after about a year, i am very please with it so far. i farm with a 1982 Verstile 835, and it has been close to trouble free.

I have a couple of Green, a couple Red and a couple blue. I like the cabs of the 100 - 110 hp JDs, the dealer service too, but dont like the fuel consumption. The Caseih puma has an air ride cab and can go 20+ mph and is very good on fuel at 140 hp and very comfortable - even leather seat. Puma Cab is big too -capable of carrying passenger - but dealer service is not nearly as good as the JD Service. The NH bidirectional is very handy and noisey with the 18 ' conditioner on the front. Don't really want to listen to radio - just more noise and the rads need blowing out every 4 - 5 hours. Great on snowblower and fel. Little tractor is blue and rough to ride. New holland dealer service is very good as well. In all fairness to Case dealer thats the only piece of theirs we have and we are close to heavy clay where the business priority is clearly farmers and selling $200,000 to $300,000 pieces of equipment.

oh yes - we have iron disease, but getting treatment for that. How many tractors does it take to run your operation? :wink:

We use 2 JD. A 7400 and a 7420. I like the 7400 the best, the loader a 740 regular works great for loading bales and manure where the 7420 has a newer version still non self leveling but it seems to have slack in the linkage and doesn't scrape up very good. Always digging or skipping. I did just buy an older pay loader yesterday a Cat 926 as we seem to be doing more digging and loading since Lane has a big end dump trailed for hauling dirt and gravel.

I would like to find a smaller 2 wd drive to use for raking to save unhooking baler or mower to rake. Last year I rented a very old Duetz from a neighbor that worked OK :? and I may be forced into that deal again. Those 80 HP tractors in this area are hard to find.

in response to Gomez post it seems to take 6 or so tractors run around here, but i'm like BMR and don't like to unhook very much at haying time . we run older but well maintained tractors of many colors. 2-4020's' one on the bale wagon the other on a rake. 1-allis 8030 on the square baler. 1 case 1070 on the discbine and the round baler. 1ihc 706 on the windrow fluffer. 1ihc 624l loader spear for making round bale back stops for the square bale stacks.only two stay out for the winter. have 2 antiques as well a massey 25 and an allis B. i figure that in a few years they will all be antiques! :D

haven't got as much tied up in all of them as most do in half of one

:D :D

We run a green 4240 and a green LA105 (lawn tractor). Our last tractor was a 4430 that we sold with 35000 hours on it. I know of a 4020 with 47000 hours that is still running. I expect I will never have to worry about how the newer models and colours work, but I do see a lot of blue and several Kubotas showing up around.
To my way of thinking the VERY BEST tractor is the colour that is paid for. :D

rancherfred said:
CaseIH Magnum 7200 series tractors are the best ones ever made. They may not have as many bells and whistles as their green counterparts and they sure don't cost as much as their green counterparts. But if you are looking for a bullet proof tractor these are the ones to buy. A Case mechanic told us once that the company got it "too right" with those tractors. The mechanics were setting around twiddling their thumbs all day so the company came out with the MX series. That fixed the problem of bored mechanics.
True.

Silver said:
I also cant imagine going back to tractors without FWA.
True, especially on loader tractors and tractors you need to go through the mud and snow.

We haven't had any problems with our NewHolland T9040 yet. Our mxm 125 has been in the shop for two months because apparently case qit making parts for the planetaries. We run an allis 8070 for haying, picking rocks, pulling out the aprayer and the big tractor. It's by far my favourite. Over 19,500 hors on it and she's still running strong. The tractor was torn apart and completely went through just after the hour gauge rolled over

Latest posts