• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tractor selection...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Curly

Reaction score
Looking for some advise on what tractor to get for my place. I have 65 acres that I use mostly for beef and some hay. The tractor will be used to feed round bales and to maintain a driveway that is about 3/4 of a mile long. The driveway takes quite a bit of dirt work maintenance so the loader will be worked pretty hard.

Requirements;

*4 wheel drive
*closed cab preferred
*loader
*scraper to clean paddocks
*roadside mower
*under $30k

Any recommendation or suggestions would be appreciated.

Curly

I wouldn't get less than 85-90 HP tractor for haying.

You'll prolly have to go used on that budget too. Be careful.

If your going to use a loader a lot be sure to get one with a joystick for the loader. I think most come standard now. It really makes it easy to run.

have a good one

Mike,
I wont be using this tractor for hay production. I will use it for moving round bales though. I would like to go as small as possible...

Lazy Ace,
Yes, the joy stick option is the way to go-- much easier.

Might look into a skid steer loader, with attachments ie. hydraulic mower.
If that won't move your snow, then do a lot of shopping.
Any specific units will gladly be analyzed fwitw.

Haytrucker, I assume you haul hay with a semi. If you do, is there any guys loading or unloading the second row with a skidsteer and having all 4 wheels touching? We've got a medium sized skidsteer and I think it is worthless for handling bid rounds. But then you go to the sale barn and thats all they use. I've never seen them unload any trucks, though. I was thinking of upgrading to something bigger, but I don't know if I could feel comfortable by handling all the hay without feeling like your going to tip forward all the time. They are really handy cleaning out barns and corners of the corrals where the tractor can't fit.

nd, if you are looking for a loader that will carry a heavy load high in the air and be stable check out some of the telehandlers. I bought a New Holland LM 430 a year ago and it is the most stable loader I have ever been in. I carry a 1.75 yard bucket full of manure and turn in and stop high enough to dump into a manure truck that is 9 ft. to the side rails and never have felt unstable. I was trying to find a skid loader that would work before I bought this loader and a couple dealers told me that number one their biggest loader would barely reach over the sides and number two it would only be a matter of time before I tipped it over if I tried that with a skid loader. The telehandlers are quite a bit more money than a skid loader but seeing how fast my neighbors can wear out a skid loader I think a used telehandler will outlast a new skid loader. The telehandlers will not turn as tight as a skid loader but with all wheel steering they will turn lots tighter than a tractor loader and with ( I think 6000 pound lift) it will lift way more than most tractor loaders. just a suggestion

I'm sorry for the delay.
I have been referred to a "big" skidsteer for handling the bales; but I haven't seen it. I have looked at the specs; and should do the job; but.
I'd much rather look acrost the hood of an M Farmall behind an F-11 (or even an F-10), than sit under the bale. I don't care how tough that roll cage is supposed to be.
Give me a 4020 (at least) with a #3000 rated loader anytime.

Once you get a feel for the skid steer, it is the best loader unloader around. Doesn't take 40 acres to load or unload, you can scoot sideways a bit if needed. I used to have a 1500 pound lift JD but got sick of it breaking, I now have a 2200 pound lift New Holland.

Latest posts