• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trailer building 101

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
100_0558.jpg

Frame and some uprights

100_0559.jpg

sidesheets going on

100_0581.jpg

rear view building gates

100_0588.jpg

nose going together

100_0592.jpg

done welding ready for cleanup and primer

100_0594.jpg

all primed

100_0595.jpg

all painted

and now the finised product

100_0597.jpg

rear view notice the rollers all canadians shoud know that hockey pucks have other uses I drill a 3/4" hole in them then drive a 1/2" pipe bushing in them they make great rollers and they don't pound a hole in the gate tube after awhile.

100_0584.jpg

100_0598.jpg

side view 80x20 stock trailer

100_0602.jpg

Another shot I have about 55 hours in this trailer I had help putting on 3 roof sheets and hanging the axels. Now here I sit waiting for the new owner to show up to claim his prize.

Good job Denny,that is one nice trailer,it's plain to see you take pride in your work.............good luck

Faster horses said:
Man, Denny. You do a very professional job!!

That looks better than good. Congratulations!

Thanks thats the 792nd trailer to roll out of my little farm shop in the last 16 years.

Holy smokes! Real nice, Denny. So the question that I think I already know the answer to is, do you make a better trailer than the big companies do? I suspect you do, but what I'm getting at is whether you use heavier stock for the so and so and cheaper but stronger stock for the so and so? I mean besides the hockey-puck rollers. :D Also, price is always in the equation somewhere. Are you better and cheaper or better and worth the little extra price that a person is going to pay for your trailers? Putting you on the spot here. :wink:

HP

High Plains said:
Holy smokes! Real nice, Denny. So the question that I think I already know the answer to is, do you make a better trailer than the big companies do? I suspect you do, but what I'm getting at is whether you use heavier stock for the so and so and cheaper but stronger stock for the so and so? I mean besides the hockey-puck rollers. :D Also, price is always in the equation somewhere. Are you better and cheaper or better and worth the little extra price that a person is going to pay for your trailers? Putting you on the spot here. :wink:

HP

I have worked on about every trailer there is I have seen some real corners cut.The most important thing I have seen is the under carriage and neck assembly most all are about the same but they don't weld the cross members solid.The gussets on the neck should run clear to the bottom of the frame that is where the load is and many trailers dont tie the frame in with the neck assembly.I feel I make as solid of trailer as you can find,I don't sell to dealers which helps keep every trailer priced right.I dont sell cosmetic stickered up show trailers and absolutely no HORSE trailers stock trailers for cattlemen I don't have patience for the Horsey crowd.

The trailer pictured sold for $6895

That's a swell look'in trailer Denny. And a good price too. Paid more than that for my 20 foot 6 years ago. I like the high divider gate, bulls sometimes try to jump over mine when they're locked in the front.

NICE, NICE, NICE-- Might have to give you a call someday and get an order in...Give me an excuse to make a trip east..... I've seen some goodlooking ranchbuilt trailers before- but nothing that nice....

I agree with Oldtimer Denny. I think that is a VERY nice looking trailer. Your craftsmanship shows up well. I weld a little myself, and you have my seal of approval. :!: For whatever that is worth. lol.

jigs said:
can I get one in purple??????

Katrina would love to borrow it !

Sure can we built one about 5 years ago MN Vikings Fan :roll:

But we paint alot more Husker Red :wink:

Denny said:
jigs said:

How about Tennessee Orange??lol Do you build any like the gooseneck brand I see around here , without all the sheet metal and bars instead across the top and down the sides basically??

TSR said:
Denny said:
jigs said:

How about Tennessee Orange??lol Do you build any like the gooseneck brand I see around here , without all the sheet metal and bars instead across the top and down the sides basically??

We can but up here its pretty cold in the winter we don't do much summer hauling our hot weather would be your cool weather.

Your idea for the rollers is so ingenious that I think most Canadians will forgive your desecration of the Rubber Disk! Great job, Denny. Your work shows real craftmanship.

Denny, don't you just love the guys that invented the mig and plasma? :wink:
Do you fab your own sheet metal?
Having built several pieces of equipment(and modified just about everything else), I have to say, "EXCELLENT WORK!"

Good point on the gussets(I love gussets! :oops: )...going to look at my trailer now!!!! If you depend on a weld to carry the load, they love to break on the weld line.

Latest posts