• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

trying something new

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ok, the calves are behind Powder River Classic Panels. I have never had to rebuild anything doing this. Cheap panels or cheap fence would just have to be paid for again if I used them this way.

Should be pretty good memmories for sw and MCG,

PPRM

The cows won't go through a good electric fence-we pasture weaned and set it up so the cows had to walk a fair ways away to drink-after a day or two they hardly hung around the fence at all.

Our State hiway dept auctions off surpluss and damaged items twice a year and I was able to purchase about 700 pieces of hiway guard rail for about $750.00 several years ago and I have one pen made of them 5 feet high.

So far the only way anything has gotten out is if a gate is left open. Not very portable but very rugged.

Hanta I wean all my calves like you desribed,let em lick & touch noses all they want,seems to calm em down a lil,but no nursing and for that you need to have em in a good pen,cuz they do play hell with just a fence.............good luck

We have done it both ways, cows in, calves out; calves in, cows out, and it works both ways. The calves can come up to where the cows are, or vice-versa. But we do have a good fence separating them. Have very little trouble, if any. Still takes 3 days of bawling no matter how you do it. Our cows don't give up very easy.

Latest posts