• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trying to hide it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Was USDA trying to hide something? Why be mad at the OIG that it ended up being positive?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8AU5K200.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Bill said:
Was USDA trying to hide something? Why be mad at the OIG that it ended up being positive?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8AU5K200.htm?campaign_i
d=apn_home_down

Bill, What does this do to the phrase "Sound Science"? Or better yet, "Best Available Science"? I vote for Phyllis Fong as Sec. Of Agriculture!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bill said:
Was USDA trying to hide something?

I really don't think so- anyway hope not....I think its just a totally disfunctional Department that has been dictated to by the big money for so many years that it has lost sight of what its function is supposed to be and the ability to perform those functions...

And Johanns is just realizing all this and taking out his frustrations......I think for a while he truly believed he was in charge :!:
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Was USDA trying to hide something?

I really don't think so- anyway hope not....I think its just a totally disfunctional Department that has been dictated to by the big money for so many years that it has lost sight of what its function is supposed to be and the ability to perform those functions...

And Johanns is just realizing all this and taking out his frustrations......I think for a while he truly believed he was in charge :!:

This all brings back into focus the CBC US/BSE documentary where Veneman ran away from the camera along with the claims of past USDA vets Friedlander and Schwockert. It will be interesting to see how they talk themselves out of this one and how extensive the traceout will be.
 

STAFF

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Location
Sarasota Florida
Too Bad our technology of traceback wasn't available for that animal as a traceout would take ten seconds.
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
STAFF said:
Too Bad our technology of traceback wasn't available for that animal as a traceout would take ten seconds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are assuming that Americans will comply! Oldtimer and others still figure a brand is all you need. :lol:
 

DJL

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
0
Location
southern Alberta
The worst thing about this article is the tone of, "I tried to keep it quiet, but she undermined my authority and let the cat out of the bag".

This is not the transparency needed to keep confidence in the safety of beef, and its unfortunate. Japan has already been there, done that, and is still trying to recover to pre-BSE beef consumption levels.
 

Jeannie

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
188
Reaction score
0
Location
Who Cares?
Bill said:
Was USDA trying to hide something? Why be mad at the OIG that it ended up being positive?


Whether the USDA was trying to hide something or not, their slipshod methods of testing was brought out in glaring detail by the OIG. Nobody wants to be made a fool of in front of the entire nation. This circumstances under which this new case came about is going to cost the USDA even more credibility and cause even more consumers to lose confidence in the USDA's ability to accurately detect BSE in the beef industry.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bill said:
STAFF said:
Too Bad our technology of traceback wasn't available for that animal as a traceout would take ten seconds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are assuming that Americans will comply! Oldtimer and others still figure a brand is all you need. :lol:

Bill according to the people in the know- Montanas and several other states current brand inspection system is much better than Canadas tag hanging in the ear system( if it stays)- Canada has the tag but no tracking system.... At least the inspection system has a paper trail record that traces the movement of those cattle from county to county and state to state where the Canadian tag only shows you who owned the animal when the tag was stuck in ( whichever time)... No pasture or county or Province or whatever movement-- Buyers are all telling me- give us a hot brand with affadavits and let the feeders put the tag in to do the further trace since most already have had their own system operating for years- and then if the tag falls out (90-95% retention rate) they have a positive way of telling which affidavit to match it up to....Individual ranch tags just make it better.......

Many have been doing that down here for the last several years.....

Story going around now is that this must have been another Alberta cow that came back in thru Mexico 10 years ago :wink: :wink: Just another case of our weak border policies.......US has been too lax for too many years on the borders....
 

don

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
ot: Bill according to the people in the know- Montanas and several other states current brand inspection system is much better than Canadas tag hanging in the ear system( if it stays)- Canada has the tag but no tracking system.... At least the inspection system has a paper trail record that traces the movement of those cattle from county to county and state to state where the Canadian tag only shows you who owned the animal when the tag was stuck in

we also have a brand inspection system ot. probably not as good as yours of course. seems to me the oie thought canada did a good job of traceback and we managed to positively identify the washington cow for you. didn't the oie tell usda to quit wasting time tracing cohorts because you didn't have a capable system? looks like if your just going to rely on brands you'll have to compel everybody to brand.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
don said:
ot: Bill according to the people in the know- Montanas and several other states current brand inspection system is much better than Canadas tag hanging in the ear system( if it stays)- Canada has the tag but no tracking system.... At least the inspection system has a paper trail record that traces the movement of those cattle from county to county and state to state where the Canadian tag only shows you who owned the animal when the tag was stuck in

we also have a brand inspection system ot. probably not as good as yours of course. seems to me the oie thought canada did a good job of traceback and we managed to positively identify the washington cow for you. didn't the oie tell usda to quit wasting time tracing cohorts because you didn't have a capable system? looks like if your just going to rely on brands you'll have to compel everybody to brand.

don- Does your system keep a record of cattle movement? No-- Is your system a Permanent (unalterable) system? No-- Were all your cattle being ID'd 10 years ago? No...Can most Canadians tell you where their 10 year old cows came from that the bought-- Some maybe- some maybe not---Even Good old Canadian Tam admits that she has illegal contraband US cattle in her herd (not Big Muddies tho :???: ) that were taken (illegally) out of the feeder program without her knowledge-- Where and how did they come to be ? Porker and Staff have commented about your system- Its a system that tells you who maybe raised or once owned the animal, but not a true tracing system which some states already have and the US is trying to institute-- So don't give me the holier than tho story......
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Talking about tracing with hot Brands ,they are one good local premises code for cattle and even www.scoringag.com has a place for them in their database.At least you can read a brand at 100 feet.
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
26
Location
BC
don said:
yeah you're right, your system is far superior. everybody says so.

ya... especially 'those in the know' :lol:

do all americans brand - no

can most americans tell you where their 10 year old cows came from that the bought-- Some maybe- some maybe not

fact is, the Canadian trace back system if far ahead of the US system and getting better.

fact is, if the US wants to be taken seriously on world markets they better get their house in order and raise their standards at least to Canada's level.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Oldtimer said:
don said:
ot: Bill according to the people in the know- Montanas and several other states current brand inspection system is much better than Canadas tag hanging in the ear system( if it stays)- Canada has the tag but no tracking system.... At least the inspection system has a paper trail record that traces the movement of those cattle from county to county and state to state where the Canadian tag only shows you who owned the animal when the tag was stuck in

we also have a brand inspection system ot. probably not as good as yours of course. seems to me the oie thought canada did a good job of traceback and we managed to positively identify the washington cow for you. didn't the oie tell usda to quit wasting time tracing cohorts because you didn't have a capable system? looks like if your just going to rely on brands you'll have to compel everybody to brand.

don- Does your system keep a record of cattle movement? No-- Is your system a Permanent (unalterable) system? No-- Were all your cattle being ID'd 10 years ago? No...Can most Canadians tell you where their 10 year old cows came from that the bought-- Some maybe- some maybe not---Even Good old Canadian Tam admits that she has illegal contraband US cattle in her herd (not Big Muddies tho :???: ) that were taken (illegally) out of the feeder program without her knowledge-- Where and how did they come to be ? Porker and Staff have commented about your system- Its a system that tells you who maybe raised or once owned the animal, but not a true tracing system which some states already have and the US is trying to institute-- So don't give me the holier than tho story......

You know Oldtimer I may know they were taken out of the US feeder program in Canada I don't know that it was a Canadian that did it! Maybe it was a US producer that brought them up here and thought he would get more money selling them as replacement heifers than fats. BUT where did I say I knew where they were born in the US. I have no Idea where they came from in the US. What State did they come from? The Brand doesn't tell me anything about what state to start looking or how many state records I need to look through. And you seem to forget we also have brand inspectors in Canada and have had for all years prior to have our tagging system so we can also go back to the brands if we must but the Tagging makes the majority of the search much faster as most cattle slaughtered are under the age of the first tagging done. And every year we have our system in place the less cattle we have that are not tagged at birth and our system is changing to meet the new requirements of the Industry. But if you ask anyone but you die hards in the US they will tell you that the US needs to get a NATIONAL ID SYSTEM in place and every delay puts you just that much farther behind the rest of the world including CANADA.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Tam said:
But if you ask anyone but you die hards in the US they will tell you that the US needs to get a NATIONAL ID SYSTEM in place and every delay puts you just that much farther behind the rest of the world including CANADA.

Then why aren't you exporting to the rest of the world :???: -- why are you complaining because the US won't take these "miracle cattle" and put the USDA stamp on them and sell them for you :???: :? .......You are a sovereign nation- test them and sell to the Asian rim- or did NAFTA sell out the identity of Canadian beef and most of Canadas sovereignty-- and you can't do anything without asking the Corporate world if its OK--Good old One World Order

We in this country are so evil because we fight for some safety guarantees from our government and the governments we import from- and fight for a US ID system that is a true traceback system and not a put together piecemeal "show" system that came about because of desperation--but at the same time your Canadian rancher neighbors are already suing your government and the feed industry for not implementing the firewalls that we are asking ours to guarantee.... But we are still the evil ones....OK :?
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
But if you ask anyone but you die hards in the US they will tell you that the US needs to get a NATIONAL ID SYSTEM in place and every delay puts you just that much farther behind the rest of the world including CANADA.

Then why aren't you exporting to the rest of the world :???: -- why are you complaining because the US won't take these "miracle cattle" and put the USDA stamp on them and sell them for you :???: :? .......You are a sovereign nation- test them and sell to the Asian rim- or did NAFTA sell out the identity of Canadian beef and most of Canadas sovereignty-- and you can't do anything without asking the Corporate world if its OK--Good old One World Order

Oldtimer we are not the ones rubbing the Product of Canada mark off,you are.Why does your country do that, is it so desperate for 1st class beef. It steals the identity of Canadian beef.

Hows your exports Ot
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Silver said:
You're whining again OT

No Silver- Canadians have been whining, and sitting for over 2 years waiting for the US to save them-- But many US producers and consumers are asking for results, facts, and guarantees -- which every new day shows up that they might not be there........ But every time we do, we here we are the EVIL AMERICAN.........
 

Latest posts

Top