• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tuning into Jon Stewart

Help Support Ranchers.net:

koj, I certainly did not mean to criticize you. Obviously, you did not read down far enough to where I stated that I have been to the teachers and have felt rebuffed. I communicate all the time with teachers, I support the teachers when discipline is required, and I question why grades are slipping. Urban schools are different than rural schools, also, and comparing tenured rural teachers to a young teacher with 150 students is comparing apples to oranges. I do know that teachers hands are tied, too by laws and administrations. I certainly wish you the best of luck in your teaching. You brought up an excellent point that some schools do not have other programs that could capture our kids' interests. Our rural school also does not have an ag education program, and how weird is that? That goes back to funding, though. I think it goes to funding priorities personally.

reader the second, I agree with you about teaching girls different than boys. I heard a commentary once that addressed what you observed: that boys will be given Rittalin before being challenged academically. It was very interesting. I hope the NCLB act will improve public schools.

I'm with katrina, I wish I knew how to teach, too. Unfortunately, charter schools or private schools with different teaching methods are in urban areas. I'd start one myself, but, that would be a dismal failure :)

Cheers!

Oh, and just for the hell of it, koj, you might as well know:
I organized, volunteered, and donated money, time and food for a school beautification project. I got a National Guard unit to come in to rip out shrubs and install a basketball hoop. I contacted local businesses who donated concrete for a basketball court and pea gravel for the playground equipment that was purchased with donated money I drummed up. Guess how many teachers showed up on the scheduled Saturday work day? One. The others didn't "work" on the weekends.

So I guess I will do just what I always do, sit at home and criticize teachers before trying to get involved. :roll: [/img]

Good for you shadow. If you want to compare stories: I spend two weeks (10 hour days) every summer teaching a camp for underprivaleged inner city kids. I spend nearly all of my free time advising and helping FFA student (including weekends :shock: ). I spend time with Supervised Ag. Experience students, making sure that they are getting proper real life experience.

Don't try to martyr yourself. Other people (teachers included) try hard too. If you think you can do better, get a teaching certificate and contribute.

koj, why are you taking a discussion on teachers so personally? I thought I made it clear that you were not being criticized. I certainly did not take the comments about parents who use schools as a daycare personally because I know I am a parent who cares very much about my children's academic achievements and shortcomings. I care very much about what kind of people are hired to teach in my school. There ARE problems with teachers as well as parents and school administrations and the NCLB act.

Why don't you have some children and put them through school if you think it so easy. (Cheesy response to cheesy suggestion about getting a teaching certificate) :roll:

Shadow "koj, I certainly did not mean to criticize you. Obviously, you did not read down far enough to where I stated that I have been to the teachers and have felt rebuffed. I communicate all the time with teachers, I support the teachers when discipline is required, and I question why grades are slipping. Urban schools are different than rural schools, also, and comparing tenured rural teachers to a young teacher with 150 students is comparing apples to oranges. I do know that teachers hands are tied, too by laws and administrations. I certainly wish you the best of luck in your teaching. You brought up an excellent point that some schools do not have other programs that could capture our kids' interests. Our rural school also does not have an ag education program, and how weird is that? That goes back to funding, though. I think it goes to funding priorities personally.

reader the second, I agree with you about teaching girls different than boys. I heard a commentary once that addressed what you observed: that boys will be given Rittalin before being challenged academically. It was very interesting. I hope the NCLB act will improve public schools.

I'm with katrina, I wish I knew how to teach, too. Unfortunately, charter schools or private schools with different teaching methods are in urban areas. I'd start one myself, but, that would be a dismal failure "

I did not see this post. That clears up a lot. However, the certificate statement still holds true. No, I don't have kids and I'm sure that the way I feel about my students can never compare, but I have a very good idea of what parents go through. One day I hope to have kids and I hope I am lucky enough for them to have teachers like I had during K-12. If problems arise I will take it up with the teachers, if nothing happens, go higher. The problems can most always be worked out.

My statement holds true, too. A wise old woman who raised 10 kids in my hometown said, "You will never know what trouble is until your kids start school!'' My sister got her teaching certificate and teaches, but she has 4 kids, too. So she gripes about parents AND teachers, too. :lol:

koj,
Thank you for working with kids, especially the inner city kids, in your spare time. Agriculture people are losing ground and thanks to you, some kids who would never know how food is raised (humanely) is getting educated. I was never so surprised to find out when 3 bus loads of 4th graders from Rapid City visited a farm/ranch that many of them did not know that.
So, thank you.

Shadow
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is extremely difficult to get urban students (especially our demographic) interested in ag. As they say in FFA "It's not just cows and plows." Ag. engineering is one of the highest paid and underemployed industries in the U.S. With our current program we are seeing more and more students develop an interest.

Latest posts