• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Twins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have never had a nurse cow per say - - - I have even bought the odd orphan calf from neighbors and put it on with one of my better cows - - - at time it looks like I have all twins.

I do have a small herd ( never over 45 narmally about 30) so I can pay a little closer attention. I would move the cows with twins to an area with the first calf hiefers and put out a creep feeder to help them breed back quicker.

I can't wait till April, I never tire of calving time.

George said:
I have never had a nurse cow per say - - - I have even bought the odd orphan calf from neighbors and put it on with one of my better cows - - - at time it looks like I have all twins.

A lot of the old ranch's were built by all the cows having twins every year :wink:

I had heard of that kind of thing, but never saw it until we were on a place where the manager's cows had at least 100% calving rate every year. :wink: Don't know how he did that year in and year out.

The rate of twins in my experience is more due to the bull yur using,or his bloodlines.Also seems to change from year to year?For example had a paint stud a few yrs back that I bred to 6 paint mares-no color.Next year same stud,same mares-all foals major color?

Latest posts