• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Two thumbs down for John's Prime Rib

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
Well I started out on my bucket list deal by booking a table at John's supposedly the best steakhouse in saskaton. Well two out of five steaks were unacceptably tough-these are $39 entrees which i can't afford but wanted to give thge familky a nice supper. My steak was medium rare-dripping blood-and tough as shoe leatgher. I'm not a complainer but this really frosted me and disappointed me. Had steak and eggs for breakfast today for $11.99 and the steak was melt in your mouth tasty and tender. They d9id write off a $7 dessert at John's but I'd opf tore up the bill if it was mt establishment-was ashamed to be raising beef last night.
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
Thats to bad. Seams like people who know how beef should be raised and prepared get disappointed when eating out.

Hope your feeling ok. My brother has been battleing cancer for 5 years now watching that makes a guy see how tough you guys really are. Hang in there.
 

Hayguy

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Alberta
what get's me is how they can charge as much as that for a sub standard meal, don't eat out much , too cheap, and tired of getting scr..d

sorry for your experience NR

how's the hunting going?
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Alberta,Canada
Northern Rancher said:
Well I started out on my bucket list deal by booking a table at John's supposedly the best steakhouse in saskaton. Well two out of five steaks were unacceptably tough-these are $39 entrees which i can't afford but wanted to give thge familky a nice supper. My steak was medium rare-dripping blood-and tough as shoe leatgher. I'm not a complainer but this really frosted me and disappointed me. Had steak and eggs for breakfast today for $11.99 and the steak was melt in your mouth tasty and tender. They d9id write off a $7 dessert at John's but I'd opf tore up the bill if it was mt establishment-was ashamed to be raising beef last night.

If this is any indication of their cuisine I think I will pass ,cherry-wood smoked double cut bacon on vanilla bean ice-cream.
22241_264613619710_93331769710_3159827_3323518_n.jpg
YUK

Sorry it was not what you expected NR ,especially when it is something you have been looking forward to for a long time.

Ambiance does not make the meal taste good ,especially when serving sub par food and charging an exorbitant amount for it .
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
29,282
Reaction score
490
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Bacon and Ice Cream? REALLY?
Was that dessert?

You know, I don't think any of us mind the price, when we go
out for a special occasion as long as the food is good.

It's so disappointing to be disappointed.
Sorry for your eating experience, NR. That's a bummer.
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
sask
To bad poor beef had to spoil a special outing. Getting to be all to common these days.
We went to a supposed top notch steak house in Nebraska for the pre wedding get together for my son and his bride to be and had the same results. Fortunately they had some great ones after the wedding the next day.
Traveling man that you are there NR, you might want to give Golf's in Regina a try next week. They Dry age there and have been good the few times I have been there.
People used to say "I think I'll just have a steak" if they were undecided, because it was almost always good. Now you don't know what to expect.
Yer a real character NR. Always enjoy your posts!
 

burnt

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
0
Location
Mid-western Ontario
It's worse than disappointing to get a poor steak when you pay good money for it, especially at a "high end" place. Bin there done that, got the grease stains . . .

One of the best steaks I ever had on the road was at the restaurant at the Super 8 at Vermillion AB - it was the size of a small roast and tender as could be. Almost matched my home-raised Ontario Corn-fed. :)
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
You know I yhink I've been to Golf's with a buddy of considerable circumference-Jake's in Billings and Bozeman Trail in Buffalo, wyoming has been good. The only travelling I do now is to dr's pretty much have about three weeks to CFR trying to rest up for that I guess!
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,463
Reaction score
194
Location
west chilcotin bc
There is a Mr. B's? in Lloyd that I have eaten in after Creech's sale for several years now. Never a bad steak. The Makwa gang may correct me on the name.

The squid is good too. :D
 

RSL

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
0
Location
48 5W4
gcreekrch said:
There is a Mr. B's? in Lloyd that I have eaten in after Creech's sale for several years now. Never a bad steak. The Makwa gang may correct me on the name.

The squid is good too. :D

Mr. Bill's is always good and very affordable.
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,463
Reaction score
194
Location
west chilcotin bc
RSL said:
gcreekrch said:
There is a Mr. B's? in Lloyd that I have eaten in after Creech's sale for several years now. Never a bad steak. The Makwa gang may correct me on the name.

The squid is good too. :D

Mr. Bill's is always good and very affordable.

That's it, thanks for the correction.
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
While I don't know what Zilmax is, I do know that there are MANY things that affect tenderness of beef. Some controllable, and aren't some genetic, so would take longer to control.
 

perfecho

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
Location
Just south of Edmonton, AB
A few years ago, I sold bulls at the Lloyd bull sale and had taken a young, burly, cowboy type fellow to help me. One night for supper, I had order calamari for an appetizer and offered him some. As he was chomping away, he asked what this was.....I replied "squid"....he turned green, started coughing, hacking, spitting and upchucking. After he was done, he said "nothing but beef touches these lips". Thinking he may be related to "Faster".
Prayers are with you NR.
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
I saw a T shirt I liked so I'm having my sister make a bib for my grandson that says

" When I get teeth
:D
feed me beef "

With a cow face in the middle.

I will post a picture when she gets it done for me.
 

Latest posts

Top