• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tyson cutting jobs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
Tyson Foods, the largest U.S. beef producer, said it will halt cattle slaughtering at a plant in Kansas and eliminate 1,500 jobs because of surplus production capacity and rising costs to buy livestock.

The 2,400-worker plant in Emporia, Kan., will cease slaughter operations in the next few weeks, Springdale, Ark.-based Tyson Foods said Friday. The facility will remain in use to process ground beef and as a cold-storage and distribution warehouse, Tyson said.

"There continues to be far more beef slaughter capacity than available cattle, and we believe this problem will continue to afflict the industry for the foreseeable future," Chief Executive Officer Richard Bond said in the statement. "We estimate the current slaughter overcapacity in the industry to be between 10,000 and 14,000 head of cattle per day."

The company said in November that it would earn 30 cents to 70 cents a share for the year that began Oct. 1, below analysts' estimates, partly because of lower-than-expected profit from its beef segment, which accounts for almost half of sales.

Tyson shares fell 23 cents to $13.26 Friday. The shares have fallen 16 percent in the past three months.

The U.S. supply of slaughter-ready cattle probably won't see "appreciable growth" for the next two to three years, Tyson said. Record grain prices caused partly by the use of corn for ethanol have increased costs for feed and land, and the number of cows being retained for calf production also is falling, Tyson said.

"At a time in the cattle cycle when cattle numbers should be at or near their highest, the level of production is not approaching its historic peaks . . .," said Jim Lochner, senior group vice president of Tyson Fresh Meats.

Think maybe Wal-Mart is putting downwards prices on Tyson beef?

Like they say, "When you lie with the dogs, you will get fleas". :lol:

They might just be seeking to outsource it ot other countries.

Tex said:
It's not really outsourcing if they own it. Broke cowboy I've talked to you about this very deal years ago I think. We have different ideas about a solution but in the end nothing will probably be done other than we'll be eating beef that speaks Spanish or Portuguese .

Hey, mrj, here is Tyson saying that the beef industry is declining...is it starting to sink in yet???????? NCBA/CBB has failed at promoting USA beef!!!!!!

As with our efforts to promote Canadian Beef Robert Mac. We all decided it was best to produce a generic product to fit global needs. Now we are going to all pay the price. Maybe even Tyson if they don't get busy and ramp up their South American plans.

Red Robin said:
Tex said:
It's not really outsourcing if they own it. Broke cowboy I've talked to you about this very deal years ago I think. We have different ideas about a solution but in the end nothing will probably be done other than we'll be eating beef that speaks Spanish or Portuguese .

If they are getting it from another country, rr, it is outsourcing the supply, just as if AT&T had their work or the govt. had their work done overseas it would be outsourcing those jobs even if they owned the companies overseas that was doing the work.

I really don't know what you mean by what you said, rr. Maybe you could explain further.

Red Robin said:
Tex said:

If they are getting it from another country, rr, it is outsourcing the supply, just as if AT&T had their work or the govt. had their work done overseas it would be outsourcing those jobs even if they owned the companies overseas that was doing the work.

I really don't know what you mean by what you said, rr. Maybe you could explain further.

Tex said:
Red Robin said:
Tex said:

From websters.
outsourcing
One entry found.

outsource

Main Entry:
out·source Listen to the pronunciation of outsource
Pronunciation:
\ˈau̇t-ˌsȯrs\
Function:
transitive verb
Date:

: to procure (as some goods or services needed by a business or organization) under contract with an outside supplier <decided to outsource some back-office operations>

Red Robin said:
Tex said:
Red Robin said:

From websters.
outsourcing
One entry found.

outsource

Main Entry:
out·source Listen to the pronunciation of outsource
Pronunciation:
\ˈau̇t-ˌsȯrs\
Function:
transitive verb
Date:

: to procure (as some goods or services needed by a business or organization) under contract with an outside supplier <decided to outsource some back-office operations>

They are outside the country.

Maybe some of you economists can explain to me how we can have a global economy and outsource our production and jobs and then blame economic woes on the US. If the rest of the world's economies would buy from us we'd have a booming economy. Maybe the WTO is nothing more than BS? Like I've said before we do not control our own fate anymore. So how is an economic stimulus package going to help anything?

cedardell said:
Maybe some of you economists can explain to me how we can have a global economy and outsource our production and jobs and then blame economic woes on the US. If the rest of the world's economies would buy from us we'd have a booming economy. Maybe the WTO is nothing more than BS? Like I've said before we do not control our own fate anymore. So how is an economic stimulus package going to help anything?

It's obvious the rest of the world isn't buying from us. However, I'm not sure we really have much to sell them. What to we make here, anymore?

I am no economist, but I would say that World Trade favors multinational companies not nations. America just so happens to be the country that spawns the most multinational companies. A lot of your citizens are the wealthiest in the world but truly are not patriotic enough to give a rats ass about their countrymen.

(I include Canadian citizens with wealth in this as well of course, but for now you guys are talking about America and it's problems.)

rkaiser said:
I am no economist, but I would say that World Trade favors multinational companies not nations. America just so happens to be the country that spawns the most multinational companies. A lot of your citizens are the wealthiest in the world but truly are not patriotic enough to give a rats ass about their countrymen.

(I include Canadian citizens with wealth in this as well of course, but for now you guys are talking about America and it's problems.)

:agree:

Sandhusker said:
rkaiser said:

Ditto.

Tex said:
Sandhusker said:
rkaiser said:

Ditto.

So what do we do about it boys and girls? The only way to compete with globalism is to take it on in a global way. Producers on both sides of the 49th and maybe even in more countries than ours need to work together to find a soultion.

The B5 Plan could cross borders.

Sandhusker said:
cedardell said:

It's obvious the rest of the world isn't buying from us. However, I'm not sure we really have much to sell them. What to we make here, anymore?

Are you lumping Canada in with the rest of the world and saying that we don't buy American goods?

rkaiser said:
So what do we do about it boys and girls? The only way to compete with globalism is to take it on in a global way. Producers on both sides of the 49th and maybe even in more countries than ours need to work together to find a soultion.

The B5 Plan could cross borders.

I always preach to treat the illness and not the symptoms. The illness here is Free Trade. We need to get out of them (they're illegal in this country anyway) and set up trade agreements that are beneficial to the citizens.

How is that going to happen? For starters, we're in an election down here and there are candidates that aren't afraid to call a spade a spade who have called Free Trade the pig that it is. Duncan Hunter was one, Ron Paul is another.

Latest posts