• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Undersirable Weeds/Plants

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TSR

Reaction score
A while back we had a good thread on what everybody used to purge their hayfields of the undersirable plants. What does everybody use to get rid of nutsedge. I just planted a field of crabgrass and it is infested with nutsedge. I feel like now is the time to get rid of it if possible, as its easy to see coming up through the dirt before my crabgrass at this time. I don't really care what else the chemical kills just so long as it doesn't bother the crabgrass as it is just starting to come up. I've used Basagran in the past (pretty effective but expensive) anybody got any other ideas. Thanks.

"Manage" is a excellent herbicide for nutsedge. I don't know if it is rated for pasture/hay in crabgrass but it sure works good in bermuda.

The label indicates that all it kills is purple/yellow nutsedge and kyllinga?.

The "old folks" used to fence the garden area in a put hogs in, they would root up all the nuts on the nutsedge. I think they used geese too.

:wink:

South Dakota removed Field Bindweed from it's Noxious Weed list this year and added Saltcedar, which sounds like it's worse than Leafy Spurge and Canda Thistle combined. Any experience with it on here?

Mike said:
"Manage" is a excellent herbicide for nutsedge. I don't know if it is rated for pasture/hay in crabgrass but it sure works good in bermuda.

The "old folks" used to fence the garden area in a put hogs in, they would root up all the nuts on the nutsedge. I think they used geese too.

Mike I've been unable to find this"Manage" except for lawn and turf applications which would be way too expensive for a 10 -12 acre field. Do you know anyone that sells it in a concentration that would be suitable for my needs. I've done a Google search but it wasn't much help. TIA

TSR

how expensive was the crab grass and can that be grazed super hard for most of the year??

I like to rotate cattle around to maximize my grazing, but am getting too strung out. need to find a good balance and leave the cows!

besides, by grazing off wheat and oats, I still get the govt. payment. and the bank just loves that!

jigs said:
TSR

how expensive was the crab grass and can that be grazed super hard for most of the year??

I like to rotate cattle around to maximize my grazing, but am getting too strung out. need to find a good balance and leave the cows!

besides, by grazing off wheat and oats, I still get the govt. payment. and the bank just loves that!

Getting payed to graze Wheat and oats. Isn't that a cattle subsidy?

TSR said:
Mike said:

Mike I've been unable to find this"Manage" except for lawn and turf applications which would be way too expensive for a 10 -12 acre field. Do you know anyone that sells it in a concentration that would be suitable for my needs. I've done a Google search but it wasn't much help. TIA

I buy it in 8 oz bottles which I think? is around $75 and will cover an 8 acres.
Golf courses around here use it and they are several acres, so it must be available for large plots. I'll check on it.

The old guys tell me the only wat to get rid of nutgrass is to "run hogs on it or move off from it."

jigs said:
TSR

The crabgrass is about $8 lb if my memory serves me right for the higher quality. I put it down mixed with the fertilizer at 4lb/acre. I only graze it during the end of the haying season when I turn my cows in after the last cutting of hay. It is about the best I've found so far to replace my alfalfa. I simply don't like to spray pesticides, and around here if you don't spray the alfalfa you'll lose the first cutting to weevils. If they ever come up with a weevil resistant alfalfa, I'll go back to it. The crabgrass is supposed to be pretty drought tolerant and it will make some good hay IF you fertilize it. I've never tested mine but it is supposed to run ~ 14% protein. I do know the cows do well on it in the winter.

Big Muddy rancher said:
jigs said:
TSR

I suppose it is.......but with these low cattle prices, I need every penny I can get :wink:

jigs said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
jigs said:
TSR

I suppose it is.......but with these low cattle prices, I need every penny I can get :wink:

But But I thought only Canadians and Europeons got subsidies

Latest posts