• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Urgent Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BTW, Murph, I too believe all cattle buyers are not crooks. We have dealt with many that try to portray cattle to the best of their ability. We had a dishonest one many years ago. We still won't buy any cattle if he is the rep even if the cattle are good and the price is right.

Northern Rancher wrote The rep can only pass on the information the seller gives him-glad your deal worked out for you Feeder for sure.[/quote]

I disagree with that statement. Having been a cattle salesman once upon a time, if the rep doesn't know the integrity of the seller, then he is responsible for knowing the integrity of the cattle. The cattle need to be as he represents them, period.

i used to be a rep for Superior myself-we don't know for sure the seller was crooked here myself-it sounds like the deal was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties-might of been more some bad decisions rationwise on the sellers part. I like to poke fun at cattle buyers and politicians-I have some good friends that are both.

640 pound calves at 12 to 14 month old sounds like poor calves to me. I always felt a yearling should be 1000 to 1400 pounds.
Well I am glad to hear things have worked out for you.

Northern Rancher said:
i used to be a rep for Superior myself-we don't know for sure the seller was crooked here myself-it sounds like the deal was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties-might of been more some bad decisions rationwise on the sellers part. I like to poke fun at cattle buyers and politicians-I have some good friends that are both.

Like they say 99% of cattle buyers give the other 1% a bad name. :wink: :D

Very few buyers see the actual cattle anymore. Too many calves are booked over the phone and they all weigh 600 pounds at weaning.

I bet the calves were 400 pounds or less at weaning, were fed a diet designed for a bigger animal and they just couldn't convert.

By the time someone who actually knew cattle saw them it was too late to change what had been done, and the result was everyone had to change plans.

Some supposedly experienced "cattlemen" missed my neighbors calves by over 150 pounds last fall. The feedlot was happy as he got calves closer to finish and at a timeframe he could lock in a profit.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Northern Rancher said:

Like they say 99% of cattle buyers give the other 1% a bad name. :wink: :D

LMAO.....

OK, I buy calves a bit and know a lot of the buyers around here personally...Most of the pissing and moaning I hear is from guys with poor calves. With one caveat I will explain later....

An example is my new partner in this cattle feeding. The calves we own are sperate....I bought some lighter thin calves for near nothing (Maybe 350 dollars average for 450-500 pound calves). He gave me a bit if grief over it....Then he comes to me saying his dad always gets screwed by the buyers at the sale and what did I think about him buying them.

OK, tons of red flags, but I can't talk him out of it....Soooooo......He asks me what 5 wieghts are worth and last fall it was about $95/cwt here....He and his dad decide these calves likely wiegh 500 pounds and he decided to give his dad $500 a head for them.....

On the feed deal we have, he will sill make money, but......Only a few black calves, mostly some Saler/Limosouin/Hereford calves that had never seen a goo mineral program and wieghed about 450 pounds....

I have straigthened most of these out with good ntriton, but he coulda picked the same calves up at the sale for under $350.....The buyers weren't crooks, just knew the value....

Here is my caveat. I buy my own calves because I notice two things about buyers....They get an order and tend to fill it rather than wait if someone else is hot on calves....Also, I kinda like to buy some value calves that I can straighten out, yet the buyers tend to put these in thier own pen rather than on someones order. Likely because most people they are buying from would give them the same grief this guy gave me..

Yes, I have heard some things. But for the most part, I think most of the pissing and moaning is either the guy doesn't really know his calves value or they don't like that a buyer makes a living,

PPRM

Latest posts