• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA wants to let the NCBA control the database

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MRJ,

With all the NCBA people in the USDA I am begiining to get them mixed up. I have talked to many of them personally and that was before I knew about all this R-CALF stuff.

Since the USDA is being run by proxy by the NCBA, we should get some real action out of agencies like GIPSA. I haven't seen that happen yet. Chuck Lambert of NCBA is in Bill Hawk's position and supposed to be watching over the regulatory agencies. I haven't seen any action on economic issues yet. I will give them a little more time.

Go read my arguments with Agman. In it you will see me critisize GIPSA's lack of use of its regulatory authority and fact gathering. If GIPSA does not gather the facts necessary, there will be no empiracle evidence to study and we are back in the same boat we started in. This, by the way, is the biggest gripe of people over at the ERS. You have to ask the right questions to get the right answers. I haven't been impressed with GIPSA's ability to ask the right questions or of the economists that work there to be able to understand the economic concepts of the Packers and Stockyards Act.

The whole process at GIPSA has been made to not allow them to regulate the industry for market power abuses. 3 months of NCBA in these important positions will tell all. I think I already know the answer.

Did the packers take over the NCBA and start running the USDA?
We will know by their actions. Quite honestly, I think GIPSA is about a big rathole as the checkoff program. I hope they prove me wrong.

Let NCBA build it and then let www.scoringag.com run it to keep the ranchers and the farmers data safe for the species groups and the APHIS vets.Porker
Porker, we sure don't need some computer hack working to build a database for NCBA that can't interface a real time system such as ours. We see all of the other database systems out there running an wonder why they don't have any security for the person using it.No wonder every Tom Dick and Henry hacker steals credit card data.Not one other ID and Traceback system running in any other country carrys the security we do.Also we are the only Agriculture database running that offers secure on line account signup around the globe in any country. Why should we , Porker, want to run somebodys database when ours has been running with millons of animals and they haven't got a clue how a chicken flock record will fit in with a cow .

I see your point Staff,not just anyone can build a web-based system and turn it over to someone else.
I get your point of; we sure don't need some computer hack working to build a database for NCBA that can't interface a real time system such as ours.
Also we are the only Agriculture database running that offers secure on line account signup around the globe in any country.*****you are right one that account too.

Econ101 said:
MRJ,

With all the NCBA people in the USDA I am begiining to get them mixed up. I have talked to many of them personally and that was before I knew about all this R-CALF stuff.

Since the USDA is being run by proxy by the NCBA, we should get some real action out of agencies like GIPSA. I haven't seen that happen yet. Chuck Lambert of NCBA is in Bill Hawk's position and supposed to be watching over the regulatory agencies. I haven't seen any action on economic issues yet. I will give them a little more time.

Go read my arguments with Agman. In it you will see me critisize GIPSA's lack of use of its regulatory authority and fact gathering. If GIPSA does not gather the facts necessary, there will be no empiracle evidence to study and we are back in the same boat we started in. This, by the way, is the biggest gripe of people over at the ERS. You have to ask the right questions to get the right answers. I haven't been impressed with GIPSA's ability to ask the right questions or of the economists that work there to be able to understand the economic concepts of the Packers and Stockyards Act.

The whole process at GIPSA has been made to not allow them to regulate the industry for market power abuses. 3 months of NCBA in these important positions will tell all. I think I already know the answer.

Did the packers take over the NCBA and start running the USDA?
We will know by their actions. Quite honestly, I think GIPSA is about a big rathole as the checkoff program. I hope they prove me wrong.

Econ, doesn't it seem a bit strange that there is complaint of FORMER employees of NCBA being hired by USDA, when not all that many years ago, there were many Farmers Union "graduates" in USDA? Did you complain and worry about that? I was definitely troubled by the attitude of "government, pleast help us, because we can't farm successfully on our own" back then.

Times changed. Leadership seeks more independent, less "government help" oriented staff. I believe that is good for the country and good for agriculture.

BTW, what makes you think FORMER staff of NCBA cannot sort out their loyalties and work for the outfit paying the salary when they leave NCBA? I do not believe their is any "loyalty forever" oath required of staff at NCBA. However, any business or government office seeking great staff would be well served in recruiting from NCBA beccause of the level of personal character and expertise found among leaders and staff of that organization, IMO.

You say the Beef Checkoff is a "big rat hole".......yet you do not state your basis for that statement, so I have to believe you have none! Just like the rest of your assertions in that post.

MRJ

NCBA financials are probably more probed and scrutinized by those opposing them than you can imagine. For starters, USDA watches to assure compliance with firewalls between the Federation division and the Policy/Dues division. I think they are on the website, in any case

Why shouldn't I know the financials of R-CALF. I've been asked to donate, they are tax exempt, and I'm a tax payer, for starters.

BTW, I did not quote Pat on anything in particular. He had friends among the auction people more than willing to spread the mis-information. It may not have been a planned sequence of the events leading to the start of R-CALF, but I do believe it was a cause and effect and lucky timing and seizing of an opportunity by R-CALF to morph their lawsuit organization into a membership organization. Your choice to not believe it changes nothing. There may have been additional stated reasons for the start of R-CALF, however the sequence and events and result remain the same, IMO.

MRJ

Please post financials. Thanks for admitting you lied.

rancher said:
NCBA financials are probably more probed and scrutinized by those opposing them than you can imagine. For starters, USDA watches to assure compliance with firewalls between the Federation division and the Policy/Dues division. I think they are on the website, in any case

Why shouldn't I know the financials of R-CALF. I've been asked to donate, they are tax exempt, and I'm a tax payer, for starters.

BTW, I did not quote Pat on anything in particular. He had friends among the auction people more than willing to spread the mis-information. It may not have been a planned sequence of the events leading to the start of R-CALF, but I do believe it was a cause and effect and lucky timing and seizing of an opportunity by R-CALF to morph their lawsuit organization into a membership organization. Your choice to not believe it changes nothing. There may have been additional stated reasons for the start of R-CALF, however the sequence and events and result remain the same, IMO.

MRJ

Please post financials. Thanks for admitting you lied.

rancher, I believe you clearly understand that I did not lie.

Did you see anything in my post in quotes as being a direct statement from Pat or anyone else? I certainly did not say he admitted to setting out to found a new organization. Herman Schumacher stated in a radio interview that "we had to go after the Beef Checkoff to stop NCBA", when asked why LMA attacked the checkoff. Did you attend any of those "informational" meetings in SD and other states? Did you ever read any of Goggins papers during that time period? I believe starting a new producer organization was another attempt "to stop NCBA". I stand by my opinion based on many media statements by LMA spokespersons where they used lies about the checkoff and NCBA to turn ranchers against both. There may not have been a sequential plan to use that means to start a new organization. As stated previously, I believe it may have been simply a cause and effect, an opportunity siezed. Yet the opportunity was created by the same players. And doesn't it seem at least a bit ironic that a movement to save the "little rancher" owes it's existence to one of the biggest cattle producers, and to some of the biggest auction markets in the country, while they criticize "big" packers??????

MRJ

MRJ, The proof is in the pudding. We will see if the people running GIPSA can interpret or enforce the PSA. I haven't seen the kind of action necessary yet. I have talked to some of the economists at GIPSA and they are either corrupt or incompetent. I like to think it is unintentional so I lean towards incompetent. Corruption is obvious with Jo Ann Waterfield and some of the USDA OGC staff put on GIPSA issues. This is from my personal experience. There needs to be some real reviews of the work produced by GIPSA economists. They need to take a few tests.

Every phone call from a member of congress should be logged and EVERY discussion with Tyson or one of the big boys must be taped and reviewed periodically. GIPSA must stop selling out the farmer to retalitory actions. GIPSA is supposed to be regulating these industries and all I see is their help in hiding the evidence of the frauds. There needs to be some kind of accountabilty. If GIPSA can't do its job, we need to fire the people that work over there and get someone who can do the job. If there was corruption in the ranks, there needs to be some jail time. We don't need to see musical chairs as an answer to their problems. The NCBA'rs are now the policy makers. We will see if they have the "nuts" that Taylor had.

That is my personal opinion.

MRJ, I edited what I wrote back, erased for eternity, it is easier just get hit my head on the wall. Have a good day!

mj...Why shouldn't I know the financials of R-CALF. I've been asked to donate, they are tax exempt, and I'm a tax payer, for starters.

Where do you get that the donations to R-CALF are tax exempted? Please provide proof of what you stated mj.
Thanks

Tommy said:
mj...Why shouldn't I know the financials of R-CALF. I've been asked to donate, they are tax exempt, and I'm a tax payer, for starters.

Where do you get that the donations to R-CALF are tax exempted? Please provide proof of what you stated mj.
Thanks

Sorry. I should have made clear that I was NOT saying donations are tax exempt. That is not what I meant. I meant that R-CALF is tax exempt as a non-profit organization, isn't it? A 501 C3, or whatever?

I should also have pointed out that whenever asked for a donation by an organization with no track record, or that I do not know about, I ask to see the financial information. Some provide it, some do not. I will not donate to any that fail to provide the info, nor to any that have practices with which I cannot agree.

MRJ

Latest posts