• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Walden Colorado poetry trip.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Had a blast!!! Amazing cattle country. Lots and lots of snow though. Which isn't a surprise at 8800 feet. Gotta go back in summer time and see it again. Met some wonderful people who are ranchers and understand the things that happen and are happening in agriculture. Boy are they fed up with the politics in CO and the liberals trying to push wolves down their throats! Even got to meet and visit with the President of the Colorado Cattlemen's Association. Awesome guy who invited me over to Steamboat in June to speak at their state convention. Hope it will work out with scheduling and such. Pictures to follow.
4F2125B6-7C8E-4DF4-B9A3-EEAA585E80AB.jpeg

Hotel we stayed at was called the Antler Inn. Like going back in time. We loved it

967A8673-8529-42AE-8508-480D0089A3CF.jpeg

Restaurant downstairs and rooms up.

9B51DCC3-44A6-4693-87E8-E5238F770486.jpeg

The decor was neat.

11491A24-4F3A-407E-850E-E23B0117A37A.jpeg

6429AAE5-424C-49F3-80D2-C20A744F670A.jpeg

ECC06E2A-7CB7-4405-9827-78FD58D7290D.jpeg

469975C4-3C37-4DC5-B2FB-CA7A85265B28.jpeg

We had a great trip. Took my sweet wife and wonderful mom with me as chaperones.

D0BEABF2-EB35-42DA-83A6-E1CB0E1036E1.jpeg

They pump lots of oil up in North Park. Really neat country.

36FDC0A5-79D9-439A-96A1-DCFBABEC0AF1.jpeg

Was a quick and fun trip. Would love to go back. Thanks to everyone from Walden and the ranches throughout North Park, who supported and put on the gathering.

Lived on a Ranch in Laramie. The rancher in his younger time worked on a place down Waldon way. Said they use a needle to load lose hay. A long crowbar with a eye in one end that they force up thru the hay. They leave one end on the hay rack and tie a rope thru the eye. Throw the robe back over rack and pull it with the team flipping a bunch of hay onto the rack.

That is a neat area. I usually deliver bulls to a ranch a few miles down the road, in Cowdrey, every spring. This year they didn't need any. Dang bulls are lasting too long 😆. Last year we unloaded into a field he said wolves had killed some elk in. There were a lot of neighboring ranches that lost calves to them that winter.

I hope I don't sound arrogant with this but here goes-
I'm much more comfortable at stock grower meetings and cattlemen association events than going to gatherings. I think it's because the people are authentic and real there. Not that gatherings aren't, but many more people play dress up and haven't experienced ranching and long days. A person doesn't need to own a single cow to have a great love of western tradition and culture. But, I feel like my poetry connects better with people who know what it feels like to lose a cow or install a pipeline or haul hay. So if any of you friends from Ranchers need a slow, dim witted cowboy poet at a stock growers meeting, I work really cheap. Which is about what I'm worth.

I hope I don't sound arrogant with this but here goes-
I'm much more comfortable at stock grower meetings and cattlemen association events than going to gatherings. I think it's because the people are authentic and real there. Not that gatherings aren't, but many more people play dress up and haven't experienced ranching and long days. A person doesn't need to own a single cow to have a great love of western tradition and culture. But, I feel like my poetry connects better with people who know what it feels like to lose a cow or install a pipeline or haul hay. So if any of you friends from Ranchers need a slow, dim witted cowboy poet at a stock growers meeting, I work really cheap. Which is about what I'm worth.
the Oshoto Fire hall benefit.... is all ranchers, well maybe one or two oil field hands, and a coal miner. but they come off the ranch too.

Latest posts