• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Walking sticks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
With all the amusement about okra and with Alabama's mention of maypops which I think also might be a southern deal , I thought I'd post a picture of a walking stick. I am curious if it's a regional insect or if you have them up north? Obviously the date is wrong. I took the pic this morning.
In some years they are all over the yard and porch and in other years they are common but not everywhere.
100_8393.jpg

Those look a little different than what we sometimes call walking sticks up here. Ours have six legs. They may be a gray-green color or a light brown. They are also called Devil's Darning Needles or Devils Horse. I really don't remember of seeing any this summer, but sometime they are quite numerous.

We have some occasionally found around here, at least I think we do because I know I have seen them... We have had a lot of mntasis this year.. Love those things..

Hey, those praying mantises keep the wife's garden clean of all sorts of other bugs... Yep.. Gotta love those benificial insects...

NOw, if you really want some info to make you think of me as even less of a fine fellow, just wait, still waters run deep :wink: :shock: :?

I"m not in the North, but yeap we have those here in Texas...all over the place in the summer. They look like they only have 4 legs, but if you look at the left side of the photo, the two lil things are it's other two legs....Neat critters, they don't feed durin the day, just kinda hang out, then do their eatin at night, they eat leaves and such. Not a bad bug at all.

this reminds me.....Mr Lilly was tellin me he wanted to show me somethin....took me outside and showed me a small snake (dead) was a copper head, about 14 inches long. He said this mornin when he left to go to work, he opened our yard gate, and felt somethin brush his hand when he shut the gate. Looked down and had caught the snake in the latch part. Guess it made the snake mad, cuz he tried to bite him. But he won't be tryin to bite nothin else no more.

Clarence said:
Those look a little different than what we sometimes call walking sticks up here. Ours have six legs. They may be a gray-green color or a light brown. They are also called Devil's Darning Needles or Devils Horse. I really don't remember of seeing any this summer, but sometime they are quite numerous.

That one has 6 legs as well...two of them are folded up against him stretched out front. The ones here in Texas are very similar to the ones in South Dakota.

I've never seen walking sticks in the northeast however they must blend in so well with twigs they could easily be overlooked.
We have praying mantises-I saw a picture of a mantis that caught a hummingbird which seemed unbelievable.

Faster horses said:
Never seen one before...but you just gave me an idea for another
photo contest catagory!

Thanks!

OH, YUK!!! BUGS?????? :shock: We're being swarmed by those pine bugs, they STINK!! YUK!!

Oh, BTW, I've seen those walking sticks, they're kinda neat :p

I saw one here in Maine about three weeks ago, very rare to see one. I'm in Southern Maine, near Sebago Lake (second biggest in the state).

Latest posts