• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Walt Heacock

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jmerson

Reaction score
I was looking for anything about Walt Heacock, a 1938 or so Saddle bronc rider. He was the years champion but don't remember what the organization was at that time. He and his wife Boots taught me and a neighbor girl to Trick Ride along with his son and daughter in Stockton, CA. That was about 1945 or so, not sure exactly what year. The girls name I think was Jolene but not sure of the son's name. It seems like they called hIm Sonny, but not sure. I would really like to contact them if possible?
Send a PM if any one knows about them, please, times running out?

Jim Emerson

I don't know of Mr. Heacock, but wonder if any records of the Turtle Association, predecessor to the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. might have records from that era at the Rodeo Hall of Fame in Colorado. Another possibility for information: Through the Livestock Brand Conferences my spouse was involved with years ago, we met Tuffy Cooper, father and grandfather of more recent 'roping Coopers' team and calf ropers originating in New Mexico. Tuffy was a state Brand Inspector, and earlier in his life, was a member of the Turtle Assoc. It might be worth contacting them if you have found nothing else. Roy is the only name of the younbger generations of Coopers I recall at the moment, but surely several still are active ropers and might have some history on the Turtles. At that time, rodeo was a pretty small group and it seemed the performers anywhere near the top of the game or in an area of the country more or less knew all the others involved.

Good luck with getting some information soon. Time sure flies and it gets harder to recall specific names, and all too often we just remember a face, comment, or event, from earlier years.

mrj

Thanks to both of you for the replies to an almost certain Dead Horse. We're about 40 years too late to try and dig up anything on the Heacock's, but it's worth a try. The older I get the more I like the old days. I didn't realize just how good they were until the went. I know that's not good grammar, but it sure sounds good. The kids of today are never going to realize all of the great things they could be doing instead of fooling with a cell phone.

Here is a story mentioning Walt Heacock, from the book FORTY YEARS' GATHERIN'S by Spike Van Cleve (it is a great book, by the way):

Art Orser died a few years ago. I was snowed in and couldn't get to the funeral. I was sorry, for I liked the son of a gun, and it'll be a long time before another like him shows up, if ever. Orser was—well, he was Orser!

A bucking horse man, if one ever lived, and he wasn't what you'd call bashful about saying so. "Askins invented bronc riding," he claimed, "but Orser perfected it!" I wouldn't go along with that completely, but Art was one hell of a bronc rider. He was wild when the chute opened, but hell, he was wild everywhere, and I still hump up a little when I think of some of the parties we had together. Art was a good guy, though a little raunchy at times, and he sure had a good sense of humor.

I was away at school one spring, either '29 or '30 I believe it was, when he was working for the Donald outfit down on the Sweet Grass, and Walt Heacock, the current bronc riding champion was breaking horses for my dad. A rodeo champion in those days could be a first class horseman, cowman, cowboy, and good ranch hand, to boot.

Anyhow, as Artie told it, he was out setting fence posts along the "Settlement" lane one morning when he saw some sort of rigging coming down from the west. After a while he could make out that it was a sheep wagon, with an old boy standing in the doorway driving. It was pretty early in the morning; the wagon was heading into the sun; and there was something in or on it that reflected back into Orser's eyes something terrible, so he just turned his back and went on building his post hole.

Finally the outfit got to where he was, whoaed up, and there was Walt Heacock handling the lines. The reflection had come from the big "World Champion Bronc Rider" buckle on his belt!

They chatted awhile, then Walt picked up his lines and said, "Art, I won't tell if you don't," and clucked to the team and drove off.

It was just too good for Orser to keep quiet about—two champion saddle bronc riders, one digging post holes, and the other driving a sheep wagon!

To Jim Emerson,
Not sure how this forum works, might never find my way back to it. I saw your note re Walt Heacock. He was my grandpa, Boots was my grandma. My dads name is same as my Grandpas, "Walter" that's probably why you couldn't recall it. If you wish, you may contact me at
Lynne Heacock Granberg
PO Box 215
Troutdale, OR

Interesting how far reaching this forum is!! Now if jmerson would check back, he would find what he was looking for!!!!

Enjoyed the excerpt from Spike Van Cleve book, Soap. I have read them all, but since I don't recall what you posted,
I think I will go back and read them again. We own them, gave them to Mr. FH father some time ago. When he passed,
we received the books.

Bootsiesgranddtr said:
To Jim Emerson,
Not sure how this forum works, might never find my way back to it. I saw your note re Walt Heacock. He was my grandpa, Boots was my grandma. My dads name is same as my Grandpas, "Walter" that's probably why you couldn't recall it. If you wish, you may contact me at
Lynne Heacock Granberg
PO Box 215
Troutdale, OR

jmerson asked for a PM to be sent to him. If you haven't done so, perhaps it would be a great way to reach him in case he doesn't
check back here. So great that you replied. IF you need help knowing how to PM him, we will direct you. It's easy.

I just wrote Lynne Heacock a letter in response to her answer to my search. A little late but an answer just as well. Thanks for your help as well. It sure would be nice to go back to 1948 and start over again!!!!

Jim

To Jim Emerson,
Lynne Heacock Granberg
PO Box 215
Troutdale, OR

Walt Heacock was also my grandfather. He was divorced from my grandmother when my mother was 4 years old. I did not meet him until I was in my twenties and he was in his eighties. He came to Arkansas for a visit at that time. He also taught my grandmother to trick ride. She placed second in a national competition in Madison Square Garden in the early 1930's and is in the Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Fort Worth. I have some photos and general information on Walt if you are interested.

Ernest Pender
3501 Tiffany Lane
Texarkana, AR 71854

Walt Heacock was also my grandfather. He was divorced from my grandmother when my mother was 4 years old. I did not meet him until I was in my twenties and he was in his eighties. He came to Arkansas for a visit at that time. He also taught my grandmother to trick ride. She placed second in a national competition in Madison Square Garden in the early 1930's and is in the Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Fort Worth. I have some photos and general information on Walt if you are interested.

Ernest Pender
3501 Tiffany Lane
Texarkana, AR 71854
It would be neat to see those old photos if you were inclined to share them with us here.

To Jim Emerson,
Lynne Heacock Granberg
PO Box 215
Troutdale, OR
I hope you are still well and I apologize for not contacting you sooner? If you are still well and so desire. Please contact me? I would really like to find out how my old Trick Riding partners have survived through the years? You would never believe how much I enjoyed knowing Walt and Boots? I really miss those good times? It's hard to believe I actually knew and associated with a World Champion Bronc Rider? I also knew Doggie John Markham from Oakdale, CA. The 1940's a d 50's were great times!!

Latest posts