• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wanted: Used corral panels

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Judith

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase used corral panels. They will be used for thoroughbred horses. These monkies have chewed through almost everything. They even chew the posts betweeen the electric wire! AAAAA :mad: I can't afford new, but don't mind some rust etc. If anyone has any sitting around let me know,
Judith

Mrs.Greg

Reaction score
The best place to find used panels are a farm sale,prob is they're not much cheaper then new.

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Mrs.Greg said:
The best place to find used panels are a farm sale,prob is they're not much cheaper then new.

You got that right Mrs. Greg. New panels would have all the hooks and no broken spots to hurt a horse.

cowzilla

Reaction score
Mrs.Greg said:
Went to a auction sale 2 months ago where fence panels sold for more then new price :!: Get quotes for new ones first.

Denny

Reaction score
I would just turn the horses out in a bigger pasture they sound bored to me or they could be hungry they would rather eat hay than post's and plank.

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I think it has something to do with their diet. Perhaps too much energy in the supplement. We have been pm'ing each other and I hope she finds out what the problem is.

Chewing wood is a symptom. Putting up portable steel panels won't fix the problem, IMO.

Judith

Reaction score
I have been PMing back and forth with fasterhorses.

The horses are in a large area with free fed local hay.(15%) They get alfalfa (flake each) two times per day. They have loose salt and are fed an excellent mineral mixture from Otter Co-op.(they are known worldwide for quality horse feeds) The feed they are getting is a phase feed text pellet # 3. Wormed regularly and are healthy to the eye. The thoroughbreds chew, the standardbreds do not. All are off the track rejects :) (Whom I love dearly) Yup some weave, and do weird stuff but aside from that there is no reason to be eating everything in sight. It is sooo frustrating.

PPRM

Reaction score
They probably picked it up being bored in a stall at the track. Once they do it, it is a hard habit to stop if it is just a nervous or bored mannerism...

We have clean Bluegrass straw my horses eat free choice with some Alfalfa once a day. Full horses tend to not do this. Bluegrass has few enuogh calories to where they won't founder,

PPRM

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
A big part of it can be learned from one hores to another

Many ideas here
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Horses+chew+wood&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

When I was riding colts and Horses full time I had and still have a Pellet gun - Horses that were "Cribbin" or "Wind Suckin" would get a shot.

I've had 3 dogs that quickly picket up on my Chuckin Pebbles or Pellet shots and loved to jump at horses and stop "Cribbin" or "Wind Suckin" (24/7) - - I could count on Bay Medowes Race Track sending me 2, 3, or 4 troubled horses per month for my dogs to work on - - dogs loved it and it was good money - - in those Day $500 per momth each. About 1 momth would break the habit - - but if one in a Barn or Field starts they all pick-up the Habit quickly

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Faster horses said:
Well, these horses aren't cribbing or windsucking, they are chewing.

And I can't say as I think much of your training methods on this particular problem.

Oh I'm sorry - here for 67 years I've thought that Chewing = Cribbing
but then as you say -
"Smart people don't need advice, stupid people won't take it."

Denny

Reaction score
OldDog/NewTricks said:
Faster horses said:
Well, these horses aren't cribbing or windsucking, they are chewing.

And I can't say as I think much of your training methods on this particular problem.

Oh I'm sorry - here for 67 years I've thought that Chewing = Cribbing
but then as you say -
"Smart people don't need advice, stupid people won't take it."

Well we would give you advice but you won't take it.as your post state's

kolanuraven

Reaction score
This may or may not be helpful or useful. But....I've had App's for over 30 yrs and had one who was a HUGE gelding...and a 1500 lb termite to beat.

I took red pepper...a big can...and mixed it with KY jelly--MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES!!--and spread the goo all over his stall bars and anywhere he tended to chew. I put a fly mask on the horse to keep him from rubbing his face as a precaution.

He will hate you for a few days...but one or two nibbles and he will be DONE with that deal. I tried to use Wesson Oil/cooking oil but it didn't stick to the wood. The Vet was here while I was coming up with my idea and he had a tube of KY on his truck...we tried that and it is now part of his regime for chewing/gnawing/sucking horses.

It does sound a bit cruel....but so are splinters in the gums and broken teeth to horse! My horse had been stalled A LOT until I got him--was a barrel racer/header heeler....we all came to the conclusion that he was bored and didn't know what to do with himself. So I also put his flakes of hay in different parts of the pasture...that way he'd have to walk a bit and look for his goodies.

He was just a 7 yr old then....he's now 35 and his barn is still standing !!!

Judith

Reaction score
Stopped the little monkies clean today. an application of good ole engine oil!!! (a vet recommended it believe it or not :) Works like a charm. Not sure if it would stop a die hard cribber though. I have a sneaking suspicion this all started when I moved my stally from the pasture with the girls. I just can't remember for sure. Can't wait til the 15th of Feb to pop him back in with the girls.. Sheesh hormones......

Latest posts