• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Way to go Haley B..............

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jingo2

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
907
Reaction score
0
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0111/Did-Haley-Barbour-s-pardon-spree-go-too-far

A law-and-order Republican governor, Haley Barbour of Mississippi, has given full pardons or clemency to 208 inmates, including 14 convicted murderers, setting off a political uproar over the limits of executive power in the traditionally patriarchal South.


Haley Barbour shocker: 'I'm not running for president'
Topics

Mr. Barbour, a popular two-term governor who was term-limited from serving more, signed the pardons before leaving office on Tuesday. The surprise spree caught both Republicans and Democrats off stride, and it suggested that Barbour, who had flirted with running for the White House last year, may be leaving politics for good.

The release Sunday of one convicted killer, David Gatlin, raised fears among those who knew his victim, a slain wife and mom, that he would try to "finish what he started,"


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Barbour


Isnt' he the Chairman of some Rep. bunch?

Yeah, we need more 'conservatives' like this...............
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I saw an article last night where the State Attorney General had called the pardons/clemencies Unconstitutional- and a Judge had put them all on hold... Several were against the parole boards recommendation..

But they said the murderer they considered the most dangerous was one of the ones that had already been released- and had disappeared...
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
Barbour, a Republican, released a statement Wednesday evening saying that 189 of the 215 people pardoned were already out of prison.
"My decision about clemency was based upon the recommendation of the parole board in more than 90 percent of the cases," the statement said, according to WTVA-TV.
Thirteen on the 26 inmates released from custody were costly to the state because of medical expenses and can be returned to custody if they commit another crime.
Another three pardoned inmates were listed as receiving a suspended sentence, according to the statement All 16 are said to still be under the supervision of the Mississippi Department of Corrections. Information on the remaining 10 of the pardoned inmates wasn't included in the statement.

Not saying I agree with the pardons, but the media that you got your info from did not exactingly print ALL there was to the pardons!!! 189 already OUT??
Looks like a witch hunt by a few again, not researching before opening mouth :D :D :D :D
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Almost sounds like what obama and Dems, like Jingo2 and OT, want to do, with the terrorists at Gitmo.....wasn't it obama that pushed for the release of that terrorist due to him having health issues.......kind of like a "suspended sentence" for medical reasons, don't you think?
 

Steve

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
16,547
Reaction score
0
Location
Wildwood New Jersey
there is no polite way to put it.. the former governor ------ up...

the decision was either stupid or not well thought out..

One of these men shot his estranged wife in the head while she held her 6-month-old baby,

if the criminals were already released, then why bother pardoning them..

the idea behind penalties is to punish, rehabilitate and prevent others from committing crimes..

as for the early releases.. some may be justified.. but..


Barbour said the people were "not threats to society, but if any of them commits an offense — even a misdemeanor — they'll be returned to custody to serve out their term."

with the media, it is hard to find the facts.. who was pardoned, who was early released,.. and of those pardoned were they already out of jail?

to me it doesn't mater much as I am against early releases and pardons. unless the evidence shows justice was miscarried.. or the law applied was wrong. and one of the main reasons I strongly support the death penalty is because of crap like this..

it seems more and more criminals get breaks..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
if the criminals were already released, then why bother pardoning them..

They weren't released- they just were allowed to work on jobs outside the prison during the day...I think at least 4 of them worked for Barbour in the Governors Mansion...

The negative is that he went against the parole board recommendations to release some of these 4- and now have some very scared victims out there...

I do have to admit that the Parole/Prison staff told me that some of the safest prisoners to release back into society and least likely to recommit a crime were the murders/assault crime convictees that had committed a crime of passion (ex- catch their wife in bed with someone else- and shoot him or her- or both)....

Many of those working at the Montana State Prisons ranch over the years- and pretty much with little supervision except spot checks have been convicted murders- crimes of passion type....

But most who have spent years in prison need a supervised gradual working back into society as they have been so far out of contact for so long...
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Oldtimer said:
if the criminals were already released, then why bother pardoning them..

They weren't released- they just were allowed to work on jobs outside the prison during the day...I think at least 4 of them worked for Barbour in the Governors Mansion...

The negative is that he went against the parole board recommendations to release some of these 4- and now have some very scared victims out there...

I do have to admit that the Parole/Prison staff told me that some of the safest prisoners to release back into society and least likely to recommit a crime were the murders/assault crime convictees that had committed a crime of passion (ex- catch their wife in bed with someone else- and shoot him or her- or both)....

Many of those working at the Montana State Prisons ranch over the years- and pretty much with little supervision except spot checks have been convicted murders- crimes of passion type....

But most who have spent years in prison need a supervised gradual working back into society as they have been so far out of contact for so long...


So like obama releasing terrorists from Gitmo......you agree with obama releasing prisoners from Gitmo, correct?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I wonder how the good conservative folks of Wyoming feel about a convicted murderer being allowed to move into their state... :???:

Pardoned Mississippi murderer found in Wyoming


(CNN) -- A convicted murderer who was pardoned this month in a controversial move by outgoing Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, has been found in Wyoming, Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood announced Monday.

Joseph Ozment was served with papers at a hotel in Laramie, Wyoming, where he had been staying under another name,
his office said. As he was fleeing in his girlfriend's car, Ozment bumped an officer and sped from the parking lot. He later returned to the hotel on foot, denying he had been behind the wheel, Hood said. The officer was not seriously hurt.

Ozment's whereabouts had been unknown since he was picked up by his mother on January 8 after his release.

"We said we would find him, and we did," said Hood. "Now, we will let the court decide what happens from here."

Ozment is one of four convicted murderers Barbour pardoned this month. He did not appear at a court hearing in a case challenging the pardons. Hood has said officials wanted to serve Ozment with a document telling him to appear in court. If he does not comply, a judge has the authority to hold him in contempt, the attorney general's office said.

A Jackson, Mississippi, judge is expected to hear the case this week.

As he closed out his second term as governor, Barbour granted "full pardons" -- meaning the convict's record is effectively wiped clean -- to more than 200 people found guilty of a variety of crimes. All four of the convicted murderers he pardoned were serving life sentences and worked as trusties at the governor's mansion.

The move stirred outrage among relatives of the pardoned murderers' victims.

"It's just an every minute, constant, in the back of your mind, where is he? What is he doing?" said Mary McAbee, sister of Rick Montgomery, a store clerk shot to death by Ozment in 1992. Ozment pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

"I'm fearful. He's a cold-blooded murderer to do what he's done, and if he thinks that he may go back to prison, what's he got to lose?" she said.

Hood has been particularly outspoken, earlier this month calling the pardons "a slap in the face to everyone in law enforcement and (saying) Gov. Barbour should be ashamed."

The attorney general is questioning the pardons for "failure to sufficiently meet the publication requirements of the Mississippi Constitution," his office said.

Late Monday, Hood spoke to CNN's "AC360," slamming the former governor and questioning the motives behind his pardons.

"He ran the office of the governor as if it was Mississippi in the 1950s," said Hood. He said many of the inmates Barbour pardoned came from influential families or had connections to the Republican party.

"There's not any logical explanation other than it was just a whim, and by doing it on a whim at the last moment that's how he violated our Constitution," Hood said.

Barbour has defended his pardons. On Friday, he appeared on CNN's "John King USA," saying Ozment and the others have been rehabilitated.

"He has no obligation to do anything. He's been pardoned. He's a free man," Barbour said.
 

TSR

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
0
Wonder how many presidential contenders will be wanting the governor's endorsement????
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
TSR said:
Wonder how many presidential contenders will be wanting the governor's endorsement????


obama?




US officials: Release of Taliban prisoners at Gitmo may promote talks; Afghan objections fade

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-ap-us-us-afghanistan-taliban,0,5253714.story
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
in one breath oldtimer says

I do have to admit that the Parole/Prison staff told me that some of the safest prisoners to release back into society and least likely to recommit a crime were the murders/assault crime convictees that had committed a crime of passion (ex- catch their wife in bed with someone else- and shoot him or her- or both)....

Many of those working at the Montana State Prisons ranch over the years- and pretty much with little supervision except spot checks have been convicted murders- crimes of passion type....

In another he is worried about the citizens of Mt and one in their midst!!!!!!

Confused oldtimer?? oh just head in a dark spot???
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Not MT- if you could read its Wyoming...Probably same as Timbuktu to you... I just wondered how the folks in Wyoming like having an unsupervised murderer running around that was previously turned down by the parole board...
The ones in MT were parole released back into the world- with a program, plan and supervision- and often gradually from a half way house...Not just dropped on the world...


Maybe this can help you out with your geography- its written in language you can understand:
432209_240590819351865_132003493543932_557010_356344111_n.jpg
 

redrobin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
103
Location
arkansas
greatest amount of hate groups per capita... and the winner is???

Montana.

Geographical Analysis of Hate Groups Listed by SPLC Released
Posted in Hate Groups by Heidi Beirich on May 11, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

Today, The Atlantic magazine published an analysis of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of hate groups, which hit a high in 2010 of 1,002 groups. The analysis provides a “geography of hatred” in America and looks at what factors correlate with areas that are hotbeds for hate groups.

Written by Senior Editor Richard Florida, the research found that hate groups, when population is taken into account, are most highly concentrated in the Deep South and the northern Plains states. The states with the highest per capita concentrations of hate groups are Montana and Mississippi. Hate groups are least concentrated in the Northeast, the Great Lakes region and the West Coast. Minnesota has the lowest per capita concentration of hate groups of all.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
redrobin said:
greatest amount of hate groups per capita... and the winner is???

Montana.

Geographical Analysis of Hate Groups Listed by SPLC Released
Posted in Hate Groups by Heidi Beirich on May 11, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

Today, The Atlantic magazine published an analysis of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of hate groups, which hit a high in 2010 of 1,002 groups. The analysis provides a “geography of hatred” in America and looks at what factors correlate with areas that are hotbeds for hate groups.

Written by Senior Editor Richard Florida, the research found that hate groups, when population is taken into account, are most highly concentrated in the Deep South and the northern Plains states. The states with the highest per capita concentrations of hate groups are Montana and Mississippi. Hate groups are least concentrated in the Northeast, the Great Lakes region and the West Coast. Minnesota has the lowest per capita concentration of hate groups of all.

I can believe that with some of the nutcase radical rights that are up in the NW corner of the state (Flathead, Yak,) and down the Bitterroot...Many are imports to the state and have a lot of connections/affiliation with the old Aryan Nations, NeoNazis, and White Supremecists...

Its supposedly the reason that the Reverend Chuck Baldwin moved from Florida last year to Montana- to try and create a new white conservative only area up the Flathead and nutty Yak area...
I'm sure he's one of the main ones being tracked by the Southern Poverty Law Center...

In 2010, Baldwin retired from his position as pastor of Crossroad Baptist Church and announced his intention to move to Montana, because he believed God had told him that the Mountain states were the "tip of the spear in the freedom fight." In March 2011, he wrote an article in support of the American Redoubt concept originated by novelist and blogger James Wesley Rawles. This plan designates five western states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington) as a safe haven for conservative Christians. In a June 9, 2011 article, Baldwin outlined his reasons for choosing the Flathead Valley of Western Montana for his family's home. He cited Montana's freedom-loving people, its recognition of the right to keep and bear arms, and a feeling of strong conviction, following prayer

The American Redoubt is a relocation concept formulated by New York Times best-selling survivalist novelist and blogger James Wesley Rawles.

This plan designates five western states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington) as a safe haven for conservative Christians and Jews. The concept was endorsed by former Presidential candidate Chuck Baldwin, who had recently relocated his entire extended family to western Montana.
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Oldtimer said:
redrobin said:
greatest amount of hate groups per capita... and the winner is???

Montana.

Geographical Analysis of Hate Groups Listed by SPLC Released
Posted in Hate Groups by Heidi Beirich on May 11, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

Today, The Atlantic magazine published an analysis of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of hate groups, which hit a high in 2010 of 1,002 groups. The analysis provides a “geography of hatred” in America and looks at what factors correlate with areas that are hotbeds for hate groups.

Written by Senior Editor Richard Florida, the research found that hate groups, when population is taken into account, are most highly concentrated in the Deep South and the northern Plains states. The states with the highest per capita concentrations of hate groups are Montana and Mississippi. Hate groups are least concentrated in the Northeast, the Great Lakes region and the West Coast. Minnesota has the lowest per capita concentration of hate groups of all.

I can believe that with some of the nutcase radical rights that are up in the NW corner of the state (Flathead, Yak,) and down the Bitterroot...Many are imports to the state and have a lot of connections/affiliation with the old Aryan Nations, NeoNazis, and White Supremecists...

Its supposedly the reason that the Reverend Chuck Baldwin moved from Florida last year to Montana- to try and create a new white conservative only area up the Flathead and nutty Yak area...
I'm sure he's one of the main ones being tracked by the Southern Poverty Law Center...

In 2010, Baldwin retired from his position as pastor of Crossroad Baptist Church and announced his intention to move to Montana, because he believed God had told him that the Mountain states were the "tip of the spear in the freedom fight." In March 2011, he wrote an article in support of the American Redoubt concept originated by novelist and blogger James Wesley Rawles. This plan designates five western states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington) as a safe haven for conservative Christians. In a June 9, 2011 article, Baldwin outlined his reasons for choosing the Flathead Valley of Western Montana for his family's home. He cited Montana's freedom-loving people, its recognition of the right to keep and bear arms, and a feeling of strong conviction, following prayer

The American Redoubt is a relocation concept formulated by New York Times best-selling survivalist novelist and blogger James Wesley Rawles.

This plan designates five western states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington) as a safe haven for conservative Christians and Jews. The concept was endorsed by former Presidential candidate Chuck Baldwin, who had recently relocated his entire extended family to western Montana.


"Nazism, the common short form name of National Socialism"



PoliticalSpectrumDiagram-ForeignRelations.jpg
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
That report failed to include a retired sheriff from Valley county MT, his hate of anyone who does not support obama is monumental :roll: :roll: In fact not sure he does not hate himself
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Oldtimer said:
I can believe that with some of the nutcase radical rights that are up in the NW corner of the state

I think we can all testify that the NW corner is not the only corner filled with hate. The NE corner/ Valley County has it's very own radical left nutcase with a hate for Bush of the likes seldom seen. :roll: Everything is Bush's fault It's the BUSH BUST. Anyone want to guess who the Pres, VP, Sec Treasure of the group who meets at the wateringhole daily is?
 

Bullhauler

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
843
Reaction score
0
Location
South Dakota
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
I can believe that with some of the nutcase radical rights that are up in the NW corner of the state

I think we can all testify that the NW corner is not the only corner filled with hate. The NE corner/ Valley County has it's very own radical left nutcase with a hate for Bush of the likes seldom seen. :roll: Everything is Bush's fault It's the BUSH BUST. Anyone want to guess who the Pres, VP, Sec Treasure of the group who meets at the wateringhole daily is?

The hate must go north too. Since you have admitted to having an intense hatred for the current president.
 

Latest posts

Top