• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

We have problems too.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

reader (the Second) said:
How long did you study it?
I hate to break it to you, but there's a lot more substantive things to life than studies. Even tho you all weighs like to inferiorize the rest of us with tails of you're skoolin. :lol:

I think you meant "... que usted es lo mas inteligente ..."
I said exactly what I meant. :D

I just heard it spoken around me for 30 years. How about you stud?
Sorry, but I'm not your 'stud'. But in spite of you trying to be condescending, as well as attempting to ascertain my age, it's sufficient for me to say: "Longer than that, Sugar." :lol:

Honestly, I love how you are spoiling for a fight.
Excuse me? Aren't you the one who has just addressed me in two posts back-to-back on this issue? Without any response from me in between? Are you having trouble letting this drop? I simply tried to answer Steve's post. Then you wanted to accuse me of butchering Spanish. Perhaps, because I'm certainly no professional linguist. And aren't you the one who started it with the sexist and demeaning name-calling by first referring to me as 'stud'? Be informed that if you desire to do so, I am quite capable of playing that game with you, Sweety. :lol:

Me spoiling for a fight? With you, I suppose? Have I missed something? Are you someone special? Does that happen to you often? Not sure if you think the World revolves around you, or if you were just having a bad day. If it's the former, you'll have to get over it. Or try, anyway. I can assure you that the World is just as easily equipped to get by without you as it is without me. If it's the latter, and you were just feeling a little sensitive, I hope you have a better day today. :D

I'm dropping it. I tried being civil in several posts and got little one liners cut and paste out of context for my efforts.

Have a good day.
You know, the amusing thing about you is how you always pull that 'poor, mistreated me' routine, as if you have no part in the condescending and demeaning remarks. You drop your little one-liners into the conversation, and then call it 'out of context' when I quote them? LMAO

Let me give you a few examples, 'cut and paste' style. :D Maybe since you said that you are dropping the issue, you will read my post and try to understand what I'm saying instead of thinking ahead to your next reply.

this is mangled Spanish in a few ways, which is why he deleted it
Let me see if I understand you. First you say that I 'mangled" Spanish. Now you say:

I said you obviously knew Spanish better than I do -- and I meant that sincerely --

tener gusto mean "to taste"
should have been "le gusta" (reflexive)

he didn't me el (what's that accent?), he meant estar (to be)

and so on
Then you started in with the Spanish lessons. Thank you very much.

Looks to me like you also are only so-so in Spanish.....
Wait a minute! Am I only so-so now? I'm really becoming confused.

I just heard it spoken around me for 30 years. How about you stud?
This is just an innocent remark? Misinterpreted by me? Not a one-liner intended to be demeaning or condescending? I guess I'm taking things wrong.

Pick away, X. I must have really pushed your buttons a week ago, huh? :roll: :roll:
I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I thought that you were complaining about being persecuted here. Now you're saying that in fact, you pushed my buttons?

This is a classic one-liner. It didn't even fit in the post where I quoted it from. I had to wonder if you put it in there by mistake. Read the entirety and see if you think that comment fits with the rest of the post:

By the way X, I can't help being interested in languages since that is my profession (linguistics) and you shouldn't take my interest as showing off. I love languages and am curious about them. I was curious as to why Steve's phrases didn't sound right to me and my Spanish isn't good enough for me to know for sure. Since your Spanish was better than mine (but seemed non native to me), I wanted to know how you learned your Spanish.

There are two languages I learned through immersion mostly (besides my native language) - Spanish and Hebrew - and I really love both languages and have undying curiousity about them.
I'll have to admit that it really stumped me. That's why I didn't address your inquisition about where I picked up any Spanish. That, and the fact that one's education is not the business of the entire World. Unless one chooses to deem it critical information. I choose not to.

I'm not sure what your problem is.
Another one-liner to deflect from you the possibility that you are the one with the problem? Or maybe neither of us have a problem? Is it possible that we just don't understand each other? Or is it more likely that we do? In any case, I thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that we have a better understanding of each other's feelings now. I know that I look forward to more civil dissent with you, and less uncivil discourse between us.

Now, for what it's worth, and my personal opinion is that it is worth nothing, I spent time in the Monterrey and Saltillo area as a child. We must not automatically assume that everyone on these boards is Anglo. I spent additional time in south Texas and central Texas as a child. I spent more time in southern California and southern Arizona as an adult. I've been exposed to Spanish from the northern Pacific Mexican state dialects encountered in Chula Vista, to the Cuban dialects in Florida, and most everywhere in between. Including the TexMex encountered in the border colonias in South Texas. What an eye-opener that is!

There is no right or wrong Spanish, in my opinion. I am quite certain that you can converse with Spanish-speaking compatriots that I would have much trouble communicating with. Such are the complexities of one all-encompassing language known generically as 'Spanish'. So much variation, not only from one country to the next, but even from one side of that country to the other. Or even one south Texas colonia to the other. Spanish is not something that one can ever consider to be learned, past tense. It is an ongoing process. A lifelong journey. But of course, these are only my opinions. While I am certainly not fascinated with it as a linguist might be, I do find it quite interesting.

But that's enough about Spanish, and well more than enough about me. I have no intention of ever discussing either of the subjects again. I am in the United States of America. I am an American citizen. English is my language of choice, albeit mine is in much need of improvement. So I shall continue to practice. Look for no more Spanish from me. Only on the rare occassion when I slip up. :wink:

Reader #2, I cannot even begin to imagine the complexities of the Hebrew language. You have my deepest respect for being interested and proficient in that. And I mean that sincerely. So many important doors to be opened by such an understanding. So much insight into Mankind's past, as well as into Mankind's future.

You have a nice day, as well. :D

vaya a casa

Translates to: go to house

"Ellos Lo Dijeron: Vaya a Casa, Ahorita,"

is:
They Said It: Go to House, Right now

Not what I was looking for,

vaya hogar

or Vaya a hogar

Translates to GO to HOME..

closer to what I think I was looking for.....

so all the ungrateful illegals......Vaya Hogar...

*(if I am still wrong please correct my inability to speak Spanish).....

R2,.... I believe the writer of your piece tried what I did at first, which was to look at the words and not thier "intended meaning"....which resulted in mangled spanish....

and I am not a bigot...I mangle muchas idiomas igualmente malas.. :lol:
or ich zerfleische viele gleichmäßig schlechte Sprachen.

stevec said:
Mike said:
stevec, did you get "Runover" again this weekend? :wink:

(In reference to the statement someone made that you were as crazy as a runover dog.)

The person seen dancing always seems crazy to those who cannot hear the music. -paraphrased, original by ?

:)

Listen, and you will hear the music, too.
Not sure Mike......but I think now it's asking you to dance? You shouldna never winked at it. :lol2:

Latest posts