• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weather Variety

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Richard Doolittle

Reaction score
How's this? Extreme fire danger today. Blizzard watch for Monday and Tuesday. You don't often see those two combinations in a 48 hour period. Monday and Tuesday could be down right nasty, but at least we don't have the sub-zero temps any more.

Luckily it sounds like the nastiest of this will go south and east of us- with a little cooler temps and snow flurries possible...And wind :( :(
Predicting 60's today and thunderstorms...

But it sounds like Wyo, SD, Neb. could end up with a regular calf killer March blizzard- and a foot of snow in some areas...

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=4

And now a flood warning:
SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR RAIN AND MELTING SNOW IN...
DANIELS COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MONTANA...
ROOSEVELT COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MONTANA...
SHERIDAN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MONTANA...
VALLEY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MONTANA...

* UNTIL 1115 AM MDT SUNDAY

* THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING OVER THE AREA.
SOME OF THE RAINFALL MAY AGGRAVATE RISING STREAM LEVELS FROM
SNOWMELT AND CAUSE STREAMS TO FLOOD. THIS WILL BE ESPECIALLY TRUE IN
AREAS WHERE SNOW DEPTHS EXCEED A FEW INCHES IN SHERIDAN...DANIELS
AND ROOSEVELT COUNTIES. EXPECT THESE CONDITIONS TO SUBSIDE BY LATE
SUNDAY MORNING.

BRING IT ON!!! I'd gladly take 2 feet of the wet stuff. As warm as it's been, it would go right into the ground :wink: . Luckily I'm 83% done calving, and can easily fit my heaviest heavies into the barn. My pairs have pretty good shelter, so they should be fine. This time of year, it shouldn't last forever, and it's getting very dry again :D . I'd trade a little calf health if that's what it leads to for green grass at this point.

Hope I don't have to eat my words later on :lol: .

WyomingRancher said:
BRING IT ON!!! I'd gladly take 2 feet of the wet stuff. As warm as it's been, it would go right into the ground :wink: . Luckily I'm 83% done calving, and can easily fit my heaviest heavies into the barn. My pairs have pretty good shelter, so they should be fine. This time of year, it shouldn't last forever, and it's getting very dry again :D . I'd trade a little calf health if that's what it leads to for green grass at this point.

Well lock up your heavies and come on over! :) Sounds like we might have a challenging 48 hours.

Richard Doolittle said:
WyomingRancher said:

Well lock up your heavies and come on over! :) Sounds like we might have a challenging 48 hours.

Be right over... :lol: . Be sure and stock up on Mountain Dew, Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream, and of course steak :wink:. I'll probably need a hydrating facial during the storm, so be sure to book me an appointment at the local day spa, those blizzard conditions can really take a toll on skin :wink: .

Yes, we have those same extremes too, only with flooding and blizzard. The flooding we have is amazing. It is currently taking our New Holland Bi-Directional to get to the barn, and the roads around us are all under water in the low spots.

I think we'll get rain first then a huge amount of snow and wind.

How'd you like to live in the Red River Valley right now? They are forecasting the highest crest ever, for the Red River in Fargo. I hear they might get over 2 inches of rain there too :shock: I'd say it was good BRG moved out of there when he did. I am supposed to go to Fargo on Tuesday, but I'm thinking that just might not happen. Heck if we keep flooding the way were are now, and get another inch of rain, then this blizzard, I might not be going anyway for awhile.

We have not started calving really hard yet, but by Murphy's Law, I'd bet they drop like flies between now and Wednesday!

Be safe everyone!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

I wish you guys up north stop hoggin all that moisture :wink: . They have been talking about us here in Eastren Colorado getting some Monday night into Tuesday, but now they are talking like its going to be more north of us or the dang mountians getting it all :roll: . We sure need the dang moisture!!!

I had to spend part of the day in town today- as altho I thought I'd left following all the ballgames when my kids ended their High School and College basketball and football careers- I now have a granddaughter that was playing in a tournament....
Anyway since they kept winning, I had time to kill between games, and ran up north to look at some of the pasture, as I would like to haul some mares out...

Anyway- I could not believe the water running everywhere- :D the creeks and coulees running water :D altho some of the major creeks haven't even came in yet- and are only running local water so far :D ... Even the flats are sitting covered with water in todays 60 degree temps :D - and some of the coulees still have snow drifts 10-20 feet deep in them :D

Did I tell you I'm smiling :D :) :) :) :D :) :)

and on the warm side of the front...rain and severe storms are in the forecast. Could use a good soaking here to help green stuff up, not to mention there were a ton of grass fires in the area today.

Accuweather is saying 1.5" of rain followed by 18" of snow here starting on Monday. All accompanied by plenty of wind of course. Could be interesting. I'd better make sure the generator starts tomorrow.....

Wyoming Rancher....I guess I won't be able to fulfil your contractual obligations. I could do Mountain Dew and steak, but I don't do Ben and Jerry's and I don't think Day Spa's have been invented in South Dakota yet :shock:

Got up to 67 today had a small thunder storm to the southwest of us and possible snow/rain tonight or tomorrow.

The wind is blowing like a blue bobcat tonight! About 40 mph with gusts to 55. FUN! The weather guessers say we get rain and then snow tomorrow through Monday and more on Wednesday. Hang in their everybody! :D

Richard Doolittle said:
Accuweather is saying 1.5" of rain followed by 18" of snow here starting on Monday. All accompanied by plenty of wind of course. Could be interesting. I'd better make sure the generator starts tomorrow.....

Oh dear, 1.5 inches of rain followed by snow :shock: . I think we're supposed to pretty much have just snow here. I feel for you. Let's hope we all get through this storm okay.

Richard Doolittle said:
Wyoming Rancher....I guess I won't be able to fulfil your contractual obligations. I could do Mountain Dew and steak, but I don't do Ben and Jerry's and I don't think Day Spa's have been invented in South Dakota yet :shock:

I understand, but I had to shoot for the moon :lol: . I better stick to home anyhow, this storm may really turn into more than I bargained for :shock:.

Good luck and be safe to all in its path!

Just cancelled a cattle truck this morning. 1/2 inch of rain last night and well started on our foot of snow we are to get this morning.

RSL said:
Just cancelled a cattle truck this morning. 1/2 inch of rain last night and well started on our foot of snow we are to get this morning.

that sounds exactly like our weather, the snow was shrinking! :cry:

42 degrees- hazy with a little drizzle off and on...No wind yet- so it wasn't even too bad tagging calves this morning altho I forgot to put the 4 wheeler inside and had a wet seat....

The West Fork of Porcupine Creek came down yesterday afternoon- and is putting out a pretty good stream of water...Should clean out all the water holes and springs :)

Wind hit us at 9pm last night the rain started at my 9:30 check. Was pouring at 11pm. Had quit just before 1:30am.
Was raining pretty good this morning and we also have sleet. Snowing south of us though.
Looks like I had better put up my rain gauge. :D

Latest posts