• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

weather

Help Support Ranchers.net:

littlejoe

Reaction score
45 F @ 4pm.
Hasn't froze last 2 nites.
Was raining above 5000' @ noon.
Been blowing over semi's and pickups with campers east of Stanford.
North country blizzard warning.
http://bit.ly/1dkBv8A

Yep- hard to believe... 16 degrees, overcast, and a cold wind at 1PM when I came in... Decided to work on a computer project instead of go out in cold...After that I fell asleep in the office recliner- and an hour later when I woke up- around 4PM- it was 46 with the wind gusting 40+...

No idea what our temps were but all the snow and ice are off the roads!
Almost ran over one of the city worker plowing the slush. The idiot was driving down the middle of the road and I was backing up into my lane. Had looked to my left and never saw him coming.
Wish the boss would let me run his little tractor sure a pain in the backside to shovel the parking lot at the store. After I almost did the splits carrying out groceries figured I might try to make it safer for our customers.
Water on top of ice!

Yep-- with the inch of snow we got earlier in the week that covered the ice, the last couple of days I've actually been able to wear boots and overshoes--- but I'm sure with this ice I'll be back to my studded Sorels...

Lots of folks having problems with this ice- and cows sluffing calves early because of it... I lost one this weekend...

We have had snow at least once every 3 days this year - - - almost every time it snows it will finish with a quick warm-up and rain so everything is ice covered snow. Then back down to -15F with wind. The weather man says this is the worst winter in over 40 years here and I'm starting to believe him.

They are talking +40sF and rain this weekend - - - I have had cleats on my chore boots for about 3 weeks now and will sure need them when everything starts melting, water on ice is really treacherous!

Looking at about 6" of hard packed snow / ice everywhere - - - the cattle just tip toe to get around and it is funny to watch the dogs - - - I never knew dogs could fall so much!

[/img]

I never did find my new cleats and you can't buy any around here now so I just keep tying them together - - - better than taking another fall!

Over night low of +26F last night and supposed to be +34F today for a high - - - maybe spring is on the way :D :D :D

I hope the yak trax will be a memory till next year very soon. I imagine in a couple of hours it will be the slickest ever with water on the 2" of ice that is covering everything. but then it is a stage we have to go thru.

Just saw the weather and we are supposed to get 3" to 4" of new snow starting about noon :mad: I am so over this winter :!:

But then March 22nd will be here soon 8)

Well the weatherman got it wrong again - - - our overnight low of +26F turned out to be out high for the day and then we got 6+" of fresh snow on the ice we had.

Now it is supposed to warm up and rain - - - but what do you believe?

A little joke I was sent

On the sixth day, God turned to Archangel Gabriel and said,

"Today I am going to create an area of land called The Midwest. It will
be a land of outstanding natural beauty. It shall have tall hills
and rolling plains full of game and eagles, beautiful sparkling
lakes bountiful with bass and streams full of trout, forests full of
deer and turkeys, valleys with fertile soil with an abundance nutrients
to grow things, and rivers teeming with fish."

God continued, "I shall make the land rich in resources so as to make the
inhabitants prosper, I shall call these inhabitants Midwesterners, and
they shall be known as the most friendly people on the earth."
"But Lord," asked Gabriel, "don't you think you are being too generous
to these Midwesterners??"

"Not really," replied God.. "Just wait and see the winters I am going
to give them!"

Weatherman says it's official - - - we have had the coldest and snowiest winter on record for central Indiana and we are looking for freezing rain, sleet and up to 6" of snow this afternoon - - - but we are supposed to start warming up tomorrow and up to +50F Thursday.

Next week it is supposed to get cold and snow again - - - I suppose if we survive this we can tell everyone how tough we are! :D

I went to Rapid City yesterday afternoon with a friend. It was near 60 degrees on the drive over. We were in Menards for quite some time and when we came out about 6:30, the wind was terrible and it was raining. On the way back on I-90 it was a full blown blizzard. :shock: We only made it as far as Sturgis and had Mr. FH come and get us. They got about 4" of snow in a short time.

It's beautiful outside today and about 45 degrees.

I guess we might miss the snow it is now +34F and a steady rain, really slick - - - They are predicting +18F tonight so it depends on when the temp starts dropping as to weather we get freezing rain. ice, or snow.

I really think snow might be the best option!

I am north and west of you between Champaign and Decatur ill. and we have a sloppy mess. Started as heavy snow with some sleet for about 3 hours. Then changed over to freezing rain to turn the whole thing into rutted slush. Interstates are a mess and the temp is staying at31-32. I hope this is the last one for a week or so!

We had a high of 56 today and last night we got a quarter inch of rain. That's the first measurable amount of moisture we've had in 8 month's, you guy's can send some white stuff my way anytime! :wink:

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER SYSTEM TO IMPACT PORTIONS OF CENTRAL IOWA
THURSDAY...

.PRECIPITATION WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT INITIALLY AS RAIN BEFORE SWITCHING TO A WINTRY MIX THEN ALL SNOW BY THURSDAY MORNING. A PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW FOLLOWED BY VERY STRONG AND GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS WILL LEAD TO THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ESPECIALLY THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

IAZ005>007-016-017-024>028-035>039-046>050-058>061-071>074-181815-
/O.NEW.KDMX.BZ.A.0002.140220T1200Z-140221T1200Z/
KOSSUTH-WINNEBAGO-WORTH-HANCOCK-CERRO GORDO-HUMBOLDT-WRIGHT-
FRANKLIN-BUTLER-BREMER-WEBSTER-HAMILTON-HARDIN-GRUNDY-BLACK HAWK-
GREENE-BOONE-STORY-MARSHALL-TAMA-GUTHRIE-DALLAS-POLK-JASPER-ADAIR-
MADISON-WARREN-MARION-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALGONA...FOREST CITY...LAKE MILLS...
NORTHWOOD...MANLY...GARNER...BRITT...KANAWHA...MASON CITY...
CLEAR LAKE...HUMBOLDT...EAGLE GROVE...CLARION...BELMOND...
HAMPTON...PARKERSBURG...CLARKSVILLE...SHELL ROCK...GREENE...
APLINGTON...ALLISON...DUMONT...WAVERLY...FORT DODGE...
WEBSTER CITY...IOWA FALLS...ELDORA...ACKLEY...GRUNDY CENTER...
REINBECK...CONRAD...DIKE...WELLSBURG...WATERLOO...CEDAR FALLS...
JEFFERSON...BOONE...AMES...MARSHALLTOWN...TAMA...TOLEDO...TRAER...
DYSART...GLADBROOK...GUTHRIE CENTER...PANORA...BAYARD...CASEY...
PERRY...WAUKEE...ADEL...DES MOINES...NEWTON...GREENFIELD...
STUART...ADAIR...FONTANELLE...WINTERSET...EARLHAM...INDIANOLA...
NORWALK...CARLISLE...PELLA...KNOXVILLE
406 AM CST TUE FEB 18 2014

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...THE PRECIPITATION WILL SWITCH TO SNOW THURSDAY MORNING
AND MAY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES WITH SNOW FALL RATES OF ONE TO TWO
INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE FOR A BRIEF PERIOD. VERY STRONG
NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING
AND MAY CREATE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW/ICE ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW IS
EXPECTED. MINOR ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAY OCCUR.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...THE WIND WILL BE LIGHT INITIALLY WITH THIS
SYSTEM AS THE PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO SNOW. THE WIND WILL
QUICKLY INTENSIFY AS IT BECOMES NORTHWEST AT 25 TO 35 MPH WITH
GUSTS OVER 50 MPH POSSIBLE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO THE BLIZZARD POTENTIAL...A BAND OF WET
AND HEAVY SNOW IS ALSO POSSIBLE. THE WET SNOW MAY BE HEAVY
ENOUGH TO CAUSE TREE DAMAGE ONCE THE WIND INCREASES AND COULD
LEAD TO DOWNED POWER LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR
BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

Wind was so bad yesterday it blew a round bale right off the feed truck! :shock: Didn't roll it but blew it off the side.
Have not found any damage yet, luckily. A lot of our snow and ice has melted but suppose to have more snow on the way tomorrow.

Extreme winds and blizzard conditions

Extremely high winds have been screaming along the Rocky Mountain Front this morning with some gusts approaching 100 mph near St. Mary in Glacier National Park.

This wind has been causing widespread blowing snow and creating blizzard conditions with visibilities near zero.

Check out this Eyecam shot captured earlier from St. Mary showing the near whiteout conditions:

The Montana Department of Transportation is reporting severe driving conditions along Highway 89 near Browning and Highway 2 southwest of Browning is now closed due to these dangerous conditions. Travel over mountain passes including Marias pass will be nearly impossible for the next couple hours.

Check out some of the measured wind gusts so far this morning:

Blizzard Warnings have been issued for the Northern Rocky Mountain Front until 6pm today.

In this region, 3-6" of additional snow could accumulate and this will combine with winds gusting over 70 mph to create dangerous conditions.

http://www.krtv.com/news/extreme-winds-and-blizzard-conditions/

44 degrees here with Chinook winds blowing 35-40mph... Really cutting snow but about blows you off your feet with all the water on the ice...

But at least it isn't the 96mph winds they got near Saint Mary... :shock:

Always some damn thing! Meanwhile, in Russia, the ice is getting too rotten to skate on......

SOCHI, RUSSIA—In a race against time, local emergency crews reportedly rushed to rescue Italian figure skater Carolina Kostner Tuesday after the Olympian plunged through a hazardous thin patch of ice during her short program at the Iceberg Skating Palace. "Unfortunately she skated way out into the middle of the rink where the ice was weak and it collapsed instantly when she landed her triple axel," said rescue worker Ignativ Barkov, adding that Kostner ignored the sounds of cracking ice while performing an otherwise flawless step sequence and combination spin. "We have to act fast or she'll succumb to hypothermia. Granted, a world-class athlete like Kostner can withstand the initial shock for a few minutes, but her thin, sparkly leotard will do little to protect her from the deep and frigid water below the ice." At press time, crews were attempting another dive after initial efforts had only managed to recover a sequined headband and several loose rhinestones

I Luv Herfrds said:
Wind was so bad yesterday it blew a round bale right off the feed truck! :shock: Didn't roll it but blew it off the side.
Have not found any damage yet, luckily. A lot of our snow and ice has melted but suppose to have more snow on the way tomorrow.

Must be some small bales. :wink:

Latest posts