• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WEST-NILE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BLACKHAWK

Reaction score
In SASK had our first victim die this year 62 year old male from southwest corner of province--

BLACKHAWK said:
In SASK had our first victim die this year 62 year old male from southwest corner of province--

That hits home. I'll be 62 in November. West Nile is nothing to mess with. Prayers and condolences to the man's family.

Just heard last night of a local man who is very sick with all the symptoms of west nile. After the third trip to the local hospital and a third indifferent Dr. his family is flying him out to a big city hospital.
Most people don't realize the seriousness of this disease. Apparently this year the hot spot is in the Dakotas. Saskatchewan's turn was in 2007 when there were 1400 cases and 6 deaths. No doubt many more cases go undiagnosed.
And people worry about getting attacked by wolves etc.

A Physician Assistant at my local hospital told me that one has to be sick for two weeks before they can even test for West Nile.

In August, I got very weak and felt faint after standing or walking maybe thirty feet. Those were my only symptoms, except for a slight sore throat. The PA prescribed an antibiotic when the test for Strep throat was inconclusive. I wonder if that is also a treatment for West Nile, but forgot to ask.

Feeling even worse the next day, I returned to clinic. During process of blood work, a chest X-Ray was indicated. I felt faint when standing and asked to sit down for a minute. I was told to lie down on the x-ray cot, and someone called a code blue on me.

I think they did several more tests and concluded I had a slight heart attack. After an ambulance trip to the city hospital, it was learned that I had bleeding ulcers and lost enough blood to cause the heart attack. All without noticeable symptoms, unless the severe back pain I've experienced the past few months while waiting for cooler weather before having several vertebrae repaired which will require wearing a full body cast for at least a month after the surgery.

Which leaves me wondering if antibiotics really is the treatment for West Nile, or does one just have to suffer for two weeks before the test is allowed, and why is the wait so long???????????

Soapweed and another friend in this area seem to be of similar ages and both were pretty sick from it this summer. It is pretty scary stuff, especially, in my opinion, because both of them are ranchers and frequently exposed to mosquitoes. I know that no matter how much one tries to use repellents, etc. we really can't escape getting some bites.

I sure am sorry the guys have had such a rough time fighting it off, and worry for everyone who lives where mosquitoes do. SD has had a few deaths this year, but I believe fewer than in the past, at least I definitely hope so.

I agree that it is strange we have no vaccine to protect humans from West Nile.

Latest posts