• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wet Dogs, Cows, and Cowpokes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bootheel

Reaction score
My helpful dogs, Lefty and Uno, on the job. First water crossing, should have used the four legged ride, instead of wheels.
001-4.jpg
[/img]

003-4.jpg
[/img]

The cows decided to go across the little ditch, North instead of West, so back around a mile I go, since these wheeled rigs, really arent all terrain.

Torpedo Lefty fired away

011-2.jpg
[/img]

Torpedo Uno, away
012-3.jpg
[/img]

Now I am on the right side of the ditch, dogs bringin' them

013-3.jpg
[/img]
015-4.jpg
[/img]
017-4.jpg
[/img]

Calves still have great fear of crocodiles, instilled insticts, to hurry across the water.

020-3.jpg
[/img]

all across, and getting lined out
026-3.jpg
[/img]

031-2.jpg
[/img]

032-6.jpg
[/img]

still coming
033-5.jpg
[/img]

036-3.jpg
[/img]
037-5.jpg
[/img]

coming thru the gate
039-3.jpg
[/img]

040-2.jpg
[/img]

That'll do
041-3.jpg
[/img]
New home for the day or two, highly disturbed, dogs just work 'em up somethun awful :D
042-2.jpg
[/img]
Been a little damp lately, with 18 inches of rain since Friday, luckily today we only got 2", starting to think a drought may be startin' today.
Life is Good

Bootheel

Nice pics and cool dogs. Thanks. How'd he come by the name, Uno?

Also interesting that you mention the calves crossing the water quickly. At my place we've noted that the Charolais cattle have no fear of actually swimming in the ponds to cool off while the "mestizos" or local cattle will only drink. I've never seen one of them in the water.

Bootheel said:
Been a little damp lately, with 18 inches of rain since Friday, luckily today we only got 2", starting to think a drought may be startin' today.
Life is Good

Bootheel

Nice pictures. That green grass is pretty. Ian Tyson even wrote a song about your "eighteen inches of rain." It's a good 'un.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GMU2IBuno

Whitewing, Uno has one spot, hence the name, have also had a Deuce and Tres, with two and 3 spots accordingly. Uno is also a girl, and much offended by your lack of observation of her feminine wiles.

Mr. Soap, I put these up especially for you, knowing how much you like to watch dogs work.......for someone else. Nice little diddy by Ian.

More water pics coming

Bootheel said:
Uno is also a girl, and much offended by your lack of observation of her feminine wiles.

She might be offended as well that you don't call her Una. Una mancha, una hembra, una perra. :D

Rented Farm

018-3.jpg
[/img]

024-3.jpg
[/img]

Homeplace

025-3.jpg
[/img]

029-3.jpg
[/img]

030-2.jpg
[/img]

032-5.jpg
[/img]

036-2.jpg
[/img]

038-3.jpg
[/img]

That's a whole latta watta!!

The last time I was in Missouri was 1993. There were big floods that
year. It was the first time I ever saw cattle, and interesting that these
were Charolais--in a pond trying to cool off. I'd never seen that before.

Thanks for the waterlogged pictures. I like your good dogs.

Bootheel, great job with the dogs.

That is some serious water!

More than we get in 4 years some times.

Hope everyone finds enough high ground, stay dry, as dry as possible anyway.

Dylan Biggs

PS maybe all that water will drown out that obnoxious Leghorn, for a spell at the least.
:D :D

Your 18" is headd my way. Were on the St. Francis down here and if it doesn't set new records the only ones left will be from 1937.

wow,
i lived in southern ia,near the junction of hwy's 2 and 65.
we had 1 creek that run north and south and another that ran into it from the east.

i am out of cattle now,but sure miss those creek gaps and skeeters when it rains. :wink:

We finally dodged the bullet - - - we were supposed to get another 4" to 6" last night and rain all day today.

No rain last night ( :lol: first time in 11 days ) and bright sunshine today. 8) The news showed all the damage to the south of us. I sure feel bad for those folks but I'm grateful for a little sun!

They are even forcasting sun tomorrow :D then another 5 days of rain :roll:

Shortgrass said:
After the rain stops, how lomg will it take you to dry out?

The water is dropping on us fairly quickly, and should be back within its banks in a few days.........the flatlands are an entirely different story, and depending on the Mississippi, and the plans to blow the levee, there could be folks under water for a very long time.

Dylan Biggs said:

Dylan Biggs

PS maybe all that water will drown out that obnoxious Leghorn, for a spell at the least.

Aint it great to know, some other fool out there has some potlickers that can chase a cow the right way too. And I can safely say the drought is broke for at least a few weeks here :D

Bootheel said:
Dylan Biggs said:

Dylan Biggs

Aint it great to know, some other fool out there has some potlickers that can chase a cow the right way too. And I can safely say the drought is broke for at least a few weeks here :D

POTLICKERS :lol: :lol: :lol: , I haven't heard that term used by anyone other than my Dad, and he was usually referring to me.

:D

Lots and lots of water! :shock: Wish the desert could store that and use it for all the times we need it. But then we wouldnt be a desert. :???: :D My calves wouldn't be scared of crocs as much as that amount of water. :wink: Potlicker is a term used out this a way now and then. Funny how saying come and go.

Big move for us, from West side to North east corner, 2 plus mile drive.

Getting started
030.jpg
[/img]
031-1.jpg
[/img]
Phase 1 nearing completion
032-1.jpg
[/img]

033.jpg
[/img]
feeling good
034.jpg
[/img]

Cows are about ready to settle down and drive
035.jpg
[/img]

Short handed, the cows never go West, until today, the dogs got ahead, but first brought a flock of chickens over me.....then back on task
036.jpg
[/img]

still amazes me what a 30 pound dog can make a mess of cows do
037.jpg
[/img]

Phase 2 complete, stringin' down the road

038.jpg
[/img]

041.jpg
[/img]

049-1.jpg
[/img]

Getting a little more push, before we hit the hiway
051.jpg
[/img]

Since cows dont read, and dont look both ways before crossing the road, a couple of flaggers, mainly for the public, not the cows
057-1.jpg
[/img]
Bootheel Senior, on the Northside
059-1.jpg
[/img]

061.jpg
[/img]

All across, Phase 3 complete, and riding into the rising sun
066.jpg
[/img]

Life is indeed Good......

to be continued