• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whaddya think Agman,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Oregon
Hey, some nonflame discussion, LOL,

On Tuesday I bought some butcher cows for a Grocery I supply. The Cows Bringing $45 on Tuesday would bring $52.00 yesterday....... Did retailers have pretty good movement over Labor Day Weekend???????

I felt slaughter levels weren't that far off from last year....So, did this years lower price levels (I'm saying an $80 Fat market) make for some more attractive Specials????

The other thing I see is less discounting on Fatter Cows. The Choice select Spread is up pretty good, so have we worked through the glut in trim????

A week ago, I looked at butcher cow prices and thought this market had no legs under it for support. I have seen more cows this week and firmer prices in the last 1/2 of it, but that is from my little narrow view of the world,

Just seemed lke a shift from where we were headed, what are you seeing?????

PPRM
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
$52 Cull cows with an open Canadian border?

Nah, you're pulling my leg right?

But, but R-CULT said....................



~SH~
 

fedup2

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
794
Reaction score
0
Hi PPRM

That looks like an interesting discussion. Maybe you could copy and paste it to the ranch talk section. Might get some responses over there. Many here have a single agenda. They hate somebody or something, & some hate everybody & everything! LOL! Seems thats all some can bring to the plate. Anyway, I would like to see more discussions like this. Thanks.
 

rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
~SH~ said:
$52 Cull cows with an open Canadian border?

Nah, you're pulling my leg right?

But, but R-CULT said....................



~SH~

So are we open to business with Canada on the cull cows?
 

agman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
PPRM said:
Hey, some nonflame discussion, LOL,

On Tuesday I bought some butcher cows for a Grocery I supply. The Cows Bringing $45 on Tuesday would bring $52.00 yesterday....... Did retailers have pretty good movement over Labor Day Weekend???????

I felt slaughter levels weren't that far off from last year....So, did this years lower price levels (I'm saying an $80 Fat market) make for some more attractive Specials????

The other thing I see is less discounting on Fatter Cows. The Choice select Spread is up pretty good, so have we worked through the glut in trim????

A week ago, I looked at butcher cow prices and thought this market had no legs under it for support. I have seen more cows this week and firmer prices in the last 1/2 of it, but that is from my little narrow view of the world,

Just seemed lke a shift from where we were headed, what are you seeing?????

PPRM

Labor Day weekend product demand was surprisingly good. There were excellent beef features due to product priced in late July when the beef cutout was at $125-$130. That product was purchased for Labor Day features.

Ground beef demand was and remains exceptionally strong. The up in beef cow prices was likely a result of a short kill week this week which reduced available domestic lean trim offerings on the market.

The widening in the choice/select spread is mostly seasonal at this time of year. It should continue to widen into mid-October. That said, the industry has marketed through the peak fed cattle supplies for the summer/fall period. The average advance from a summer/fall price low for fed cattle is 16%. The low was at $78-$79. You can figure out the upside price target. Thanks for the question.
 

CattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
543
Reaction score
0
Agman said,
"Labor Day weekend product demand was surprisingly good."

Let's see...folks stayed home and grilled out. Bought meat instead of fuel! It does not take a group of brain dead economist in Washington to figure the Labor Day Deal 2005 out!! I want to know when corn prices will be based on the price of a barrel of OIL?????????????
 

agman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
CattleCo said:
Agman said,
"Labor Day weekend product demand was surprisingly good."

Let's see...folks stayed home and grilled out. Bought meat instead of fuel! It does not take a group of brain dead economist in Washington to figure the Labor Day Deal 2005 out!! I want to know when corn prices will be based on the price of a barrel of OIL?????????????

It is unfortunate that someone such as yourself does not understand that product movement is not equal at all times. Product movement was very disappointing during most of the summer including the July 4th weekend. There was a surge of consumer buying for Labor Day, much better than normal or expected. It is very likely that improvement came at the expense of some lost HR&I business. But then you would not have any significant or valid retail contacts to figure that out. You just make up your own little bits of worthless information. Why don't you tell me Monday morning by 7:00 AM what product clearance did this weekend; which items moved and those that did not. Don't forget the competing meats. I can assure you I will know what product movement was for every region of the country by that time.

Why don't you tell all of us when corn prices will be based on the price of oil? You seem to have your own survey results for everything!! Personally, I don't know the answer to your meaningless question so I will just wait for you to tell all of us!!!! I am certain your conclusion will be just as accurate and earth shattering as previous information you have posted!!! I will take an educated guess at the answer. My answer is "when the sky falls and hits you on your head". Per your view of the world you should not have to wait very long.
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Why don't you tell all of us when corn prices will be based on the price of oil? Agman****** When there comes a time when all of the home's, and businesses , heating and commerical heating boilers ,furnaces and stoves are in place to be used in everyday heating of water and air. Then the Prices of Grain will be based on the price of a barrel of oil for there respective btu equvaliants and also their respective polulition.
 

Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,994
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta Canada
PORKER said:
When there comes a time when all of the home's, and businesses , heating and commerical heating boilers ,furnaces and stoves are in place to be used in everyday heating of water and air. Then the Prices of Grain will be based on the price of a barrel of oil for there respective btu equvaliants and also their respective polulition.

I respectfully disagree, not with the idea of many using grain furnaces, but with the price being tied to oil.

The price of any commodity is based on supply and demand. It will be compared to oil, but not based on it.

The basis of new or alternative technology is always costs involved in implementing it.

Electric generation based on wind and solar is starting to make headway, the technology has been adequate for many years but the cost effectiveness has not. As soon as it becomes economically viable, technology increases and makes it better.

Other resources like geothermal, coal as well as soalr and wind are all being advanced. Not only based on the price of oil, but its long term availability.
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
Jason said:
PORKER said:
When there comes a time when all of the home's, and businesses , heating and commerical heating boilers ,furnaces and stoves are in place to be used in everyday heating of water and air. Then the Prices of Grain will be based on the price of a barrel of oil for there respective btu equvaliants and also their respective polulition.

I respectfully disagree, not with the idea of many using grain furnaces, but with the price being tied to oil.

The price of any commodity is based on supply and demand. It will be compared to oil, but not based on it.

The basis of new or alternative technology is always costs involved in implementing it.

Electric generation based on wind and solar is starting to make headway, the technology has been adequate for many years but the cost effectiveness has not. As soon as it becomes economically viable, technology increases and makes it better.

Other resources like geothermal, coal as well as soalr and wind are all being advanced. Not only based on the price of oil, but its long term availability.

This has the potential of bringing in a competitor for the farmer's product. This can be nothing but good for the producer.
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
I respectfully disagree, not with the idea of many using grain furnaces, Jason's Quote

I respectfully disagree, the price of grain being tied to oil. Jason,***** All engery is compared in btu's and producing Ethenol uses more enegry that burning corn direct.


The price of any commodity is based on supply and demand. ******
I agree Jason and if oil or btu's in one enegry form or another gets too high priced then the cheapest form prevails.

It will be compared to oil, but not based on it.********
But you have to remember the cost of getting the enegry from source to site and converting it into heat or enegry .

The basis of new or alternative technology is always costs involved in implementing it.*********
Not Much in developing costs and the technology of furnaces or steam units.

Electric generation based on wind and solar is starting to make headway, the technology has been adequate for many years but the cost effectiveness has not. ********Last time I was in an around windmills their costs was out of my leauage and I could buy 100 furnaces for 1 windpower unit and besides I raise corn and I'am not dependent on some towel head.

As soon as it becomes economically viable, technology increases and makes it better.*********
I am interested in a pickup an tractor that I can fill up at the Grain Bin or put aload in the tank at the house and shop.
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Clean burning shelled corn leaves no creosote buildup, eliminating the possibility of chimney fires.
Approximately 3 acres of corn, shelled (250-300 bushels), will heat an average 2,000 sq. ft. home. Based on heating that home in Michigan, the cost savings using corn as a heat source is 104% compared to natural gas, 145% for heating oil, and 191% for electricity. Savings may vary in different locations or from year to year.
 

CattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
543
Reaction score
0
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CattleCo wrote:
Agman said,
"Labor Day weekend product demand was surprisingly good."

Let's see...folks stayed home and grilled out. Bought meat instead of fuel! It does not take a group of brain dead economist in Washington to figure the Labor Day Deal 2005 out!! I want to know when corn prices will be based on the price of a barrel of OIL?????????????

Agman said:
It is unfortunate that someone such as yourself does not understand that product movement is not equal at all times.
DID I SAY THAT ??????????????NO


Product movement was very disappointing during most of the summer including the July 4th weekend. There was a surge of consumer buying for Labor Day, much better than normal or expected. It is very likely that improvement came at the expense of some lost HR&I business. But then you would not have any significant or valid retail contacts to figure that out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

wORTHLESS INFORMATION MY ASS go F Y
You just make up your own little bits of worthless information. Why don't you tell me Monday morning by 7:00 AM what product clearance did this weekend; which items moved and those that did not. Don't forget the competing meats. I can assure you I will know what product movement was for every region of the country by that time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LETS SEE MR BIG SHOT COMMODITY IWEGIAN.......ETHANOL PLANTS...........SINCE YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF "CORN PATCH" YOU SHOULD FIGURE THIS OUT......................


Why don't you tell all of us when corn prices will be based on the price of oil? You seem to have your own survey results for everything!! Personally, I don't know the answer to your meaningless question so I will just wait for you to tell all of us!!!! I am certain your conclusion will be just as accurate and earth shattering as previous information you have posted!!! I will take an educated guess at the answer. My answer is "when the sky falls and hits you on your head". Per your view of the world you should not have to wait very long.
I AM SURPRISED YOU HAVE ANY CLIENTS.......................... :roll: MAYBE YOU HAVE INSIDE TRADER INFORMATION...... :roll:
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
I want to know when corn prices will be based on the price of a barrel of OIL?????????????

Agman said:
It is unfortunate that someone such as yourself does not understand that product movement is not equal at all times.
DID I SAY THAT ??????????????NO

1 !!!!! Fact is that the corn or grain heating stoves and furnaces manufactures are 8 weeks behind in production units.
 

agman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
CattleCo said:
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CattleCo wrote:
Agman said,
"Labor Day weekend product demand was surprisingly good."

Let's see...folks stayed home and grilled out. Bought meat instead of fuel! It does not take a group of brain dead economist in Washington to figure the Labor Day Deal 2005 out!! I want to know when corn prices will be based on the price of a barrel of OIL?????????????

Agman said:
It is unfortunate that someone such as yourself does not understand that product movement is not equal at all times.
DID I SAY THAT ??????????????NO


Product movement was very disappointing during most of the summer including the July 4th weekend. There was a surge of consumer buying for Labor Day, much better than normal or expected. It is very likely that improvement came at the expense of some lost HR&I business. But then you would not have any significant or valid retail contacts to figure that out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

wORTHLESS INFORMATION MY ASS go F Y
You just make up your own little bits of worthless information. Why don't you tell me Monday morning by 7:00 AM what product clearance did this weekend; which items moved and those that did not. Don't forget the competing meats. I can assure you I will know what product movement was for every region of the country by that time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LETS SEE MR BIG SHOT COMMODITY IWEGIAN.......ETHANOL PLANTS...........SINCE YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF "CORN PATCH" YOU SHOULD FIGURE THIS OUT......................


Why don't you tell all of us when corn prices will be based on the price of oil? You seem to have your own survey results for everything!! Personally, I don't know the answer to your meaningless question so I will just wait for you to tell all of us!!!! I am certain your conclusion will be just as accurate and earth shattering as previous information you have posted!!! I will take an educated guess at the answer. My answer is "when the sky falls and hits you on your head". Per your view of the world you should not have to wait very long.
I AM SURPRISED YOU HAVE ANY CLIENTS.......................... :roll: MAYBE YOU HAVE INSIDE TRADER INFORMATION...... :roll:

What you say is worthless information defies logic. It may be worthless to you since you have demonstrated that you know so very little about the many factors that influence price. Your sensationalism does not cut it in the real world of agri-business. industry.

Clients like you no one needs. I am fortunate that I can choose who I elect to have as a client. A testimony to how well I work with and get along with clients is the many years of our business relationships extending as long as thirty years.
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Agman Quote:It may be worthless to you since you have demonstrated that you know so very little about the many factors that influence price.

factors that influence price,Agman ? what would be the facts if the Heating Industry started using large amounts of grains for direct heat or would this not affect any grain prices?
 

Shorty

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
SH
$52 Cull cows with an open Canadian border?

Nah, you're pulling my leg right?

But, but R-CULT said....................


I may be wrong SH but I do not think we are importing anything over 30 months, unless it slips through, now. So cull cow prices will stay high untill we start importing them.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Do cull cows not take the place of some younger aged animals?

If there was an over abundance of younger live crossing the border, would the cull cow price not drop? You can't be short in one market segment without "borrowing" from an another with over supply!

Does anybody know the trade balance for UTM, since July?
 

agman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
PORKER said:
Agman Quote:It may be worthless to you since you have demonstrated that you know so very little about the many factors that influence price.

factors that influence price,Agman ? what would be the facts if the Heating Industry started using large amounts of grains for direct heat or would this not affect any grain prices?

Good question.....I expect it would would positively affect gain prices if it resulted in a net reduction in availability. With ethanol the DG becomes a substitute for feed-grain so the price impact on corn is minimal. The 1.5 billion bushels used this year for ethanol manufacture does not reduce total or net feed-grain supplies by an equal amount.
 

agman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,664
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
Shorty said:
SH
$52 Cull cows with an open Canadian border?

Nah, you're pulling my leg right?

But, but R-CULT said....................


I may be wrong SH but I do not think we are importing anything over 30 months, unless it slips through, now. So cull cow prices will stay high untill we start importing them.

We are not importing any cows OTM. That said, pre BSE we imported approximately 330,000 cows per year. This compares to the pre-BSE five year annual domestic cow slaughter of 5.65 million head. Cow imports from Canada represented only 5.8% of domestic cow slaughter. The reason domestic cow prices are up is due to a delcine in domestic cow slaughter from 7.2 million head in 1996 to 4.8 million head this year. That 2.4 million annual reduction impacts prices significantly more than the lack of 330,000 cow imports from Canada. Domestic cow slaughter this year is approximately 6,700 head per week below last year. That is why cow prices are holding at these levels. Trying to credit high cow to the lack of Canadian imports is a serious reach and departure from the real facts.
 

Latest posts

Top