• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whaddya think Agman,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

agman said:
Shorty said:
SH
$52 Cull cows with an open Canadian border?

Nah, you're pulling my leg right?

But, but R-CULT said....................

I may be wrong SH but I do not think we are importing anything over 30 months, unless it slips through, now. So cull cow prices will stay high untill we start importing them.

We are not importing any cows OTM. That said, pre BSE we imported approximately 330,000 cows per year. This compares to the pre-BSE five year annual domestic cow slaughter of 5.65 million head. Cow imports from Canada represented only 5.8% of domestic cow slaughter. The reason domestic cow prices are up is due to a delcine in domestic cow slaughter from 7.2 million head in 1996 to 4.8 million head this year. That 2.4 million annual reduction impacts prices significantly more than the lack of 330,000 cow imports from Canada. Domestic cow slaughter this year is approximately 6,700 head per week below last year. That is why cow prices are holding at these levels. Trying to credit high cow to the lack of Canadian imports is a serious reach and departure from the real facts.

Agman, In any of this discussion about supply of beef above did you ever talk about the boxed beef that was coming across the border and how that has been affected by the border closing?

agman said:
...a delcine in domestic cow slaughter from 7.2 million head in 1996 to 4.8 million head this year.

What are the figures compared to last year?
How much is a result of herd rebuilding and when will the increased production effect prices, assuming relatively stable consumption?

Agman,

Thanks for the response....

Hey, on the corn, I had heard the closure of the port in New Orleans might have us backed up a bit and probably has more of a near-term impact on corn than anything else such as fuel price......

Just my shot in the dark,

PPRM

Porker, you never addressed the question of efficiency in grain burning furnaces. The theory of BTU's in a bushel is well and fine, but is it able to be extracted? Gas furnaces approach 99% efficiency, where do grain furnaces rate?

factors that influence price,Agman ? what would be the facts if the Heating Industry started using large amounts of grains for direct heat or would this not affect any grain prices?

Good question.....I expect it would would positively affect gain prices if it resulted in a net reduction in availability.

Lets consider that ethanol will gain in usage as oil and gasoline is priced to stay at this point in time,and domestic heating expands at 3% per year,how much corn in bu.'s or other grains can be diverted to direct home and industrail heating with out affecting the price of fed cattle and or other meats? Your opinuion?

How does todays' market report that corn stocks are so much higher than expected play into this, as well as the cattle market?

MRJ

Econ101 said:
agman said:
Shorty said:
SH

I may be wrong SH but I do not think we are importing anything over 30 months, unless it slips through, now. So cull cow prices will stay high untill we start importing them.

We are not importing any cows OTM. That said, pre BSE we imported approximately 330,000 cows per year. This compares to the pre-BSE five year annual domestic cow slaughter of 5.65 million head. Cow imports from Canada represented only 5.8% of domestic cow slaughter. The reason domestic cow prices are up is due to a delcine in domestic cow slaughter from 7.2 million head in 1996 to 4.8 million head this year. That 2.4 million annual reduction impacts prices significantly more than the lack of 330,000 cow imports from Canada. Domestic cow slaughter this year is approximately 6,700 head per week below last year. That is why cow prices are holding at these levels. Trying to credit high cow to the lack of Canadian imports is a serious reach and departure from the real facts.

Agman, In any of this discussion about supply of beef above did you ever talk about the boxed beef that was coming across the border and how that has been affected by the border closing?

Yes, I have so what is your question?

Porker, you never addressed the question of efficiency in grain burning furnaces. The theory of BTU's in a bushel is well and fine, but is it able to be extracted? Gas furnaces approach 99% efficiency, where do grain furnaces rate?

Answer and its in Google Too. 86% - 92% efficiency, call those companys ,besides I raise my own fuel.NO MIDDLE MAN sucking off here either.

Latest posts