• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What a differance a cow makes!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
Many of you might remember I had a charlois cow that we called "Meany" - - - this old girl should have gone to hamburger years ago but I kept trying to rehabilitate her.

This year she got so cahtankerous that she killed her own calf and fought any cow coming close to her.

I pened her up so that she had to go thru the chute to get water and back thru it to get hay for about a week ( side door of the chute was tied open)

Then on a bright Saturday morning in June we backed a trailer up and she could not see it till she had rounded the corner - - - she left the barn at a dead run - - - got the trailer door closed and off to the salebarn.

At the sale I told everyone she was nuts so they cleared the alley and put her in a bull pen - - - she broke thru into a pen with a large brama bull who put her in her place.

When her time came we cleared everyone and she ran full speed ahead rounded the curve and could not stop and rammed the end of the scale so hard we all thought she was dead - - - she got back to her feet and was as gentle as anything in the barn.

I told everyone she was terrible and not to buy her to go back to a farm - - -

Now this year when we weaned and preg checked I could not believe the differance - - - with her influance gone it was the easiest I think we ever worked cattle - - - mine are really to gentle if you have to grab an ear and lead them in the chute - - - I will never keep an old rip around again - - - no broken gates charges people.

Hind site is 20 / 20 but she should never have been bred even one time!

I think I've owned a few of her relatives. The one that sticks out in my mind is the old slick cow that I managed to get into the corrals with a few of mine. She was probably ten years old and had never been in the corrals and was a leftover from the guy I bought the place from three years prior. I started to think I might be in trouble when I tried to stick a rope on her after failed attempt number five to sort her out and she crawled up on my horse with me... Finally got her in the lane and tied her to the trailer and she broke my rope and went over the fence back into the main pen. I finally decided to shoot her because I was NOT turning her back out. I went and got a rifle out of the truck and she charged me when I came back and flopped over dead before I could even get a shot off.

cow pollinater said:
I think I've owned a few of her relatives. The one that sticks out in my mind is the old slick cow that I managed to get into the corrals with a few of mine. She was probably ten years old and had never been in the corrals and was a leftover from the guy I bought the place from three years prior. I started to think I might be in trouble when I tried to stick a rope on her after failed attempt number five to sort her out and she crawled up on my horse with me... Finally got her in the lane and tied her to the trailer and she broke my rope and went over the fence back into the main pen. I finally decided to shoot her because I was NOT turning her back out. I went and got a rifle out of the truck and she charged me when I came back and flopped over dead before I could even get a shot off.

You need to take one of those low stress cattle handling seminars....you gave the old girl a heart attack.

In past years a few big outfits up here used to hold every cow that lost a calf for whatever reason in big pastures with bulls. Around the end of August these cows hit the sale ring and sold by the pound and I'd become the proud owner.
They got a preg check, looked over for feet, bags and eyes.
The ones that didn't make the grade went back to the sale ring, the "good" ones stayed.

Life was interesting and you knew you had a good one when you turned her out of the squeeze chute and she'd spin around and nail the guy running the head gate.

Follow up - - - now that Old Meany has been gone I cannot believe how much easier the entire herd is to handle - - - walk up to any cow so far and check sex on the new born calf, tag it and walk them calmly to the gate to the next farm.

I should have gotten rid of that old rip after the first calf - - - but then my cattle working facilities would only be 1 gate high - - - I might never have learned how to deal with cows like her either - - - I know now, send them to the packers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts