• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what are the pros and cons of joining a breed assoc

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rowel

Reaction score
been contemplating if i should go ahead and join the hereford assoc , all the cattle i have are registered, but im not a member ,so im curious what are the pros and cons a breed assoc can do not only for the breed but for a individual, ill apperciatte all of the input from everyone

my opinion is the associations are a way of getting a premium for your cattle, and a bunch of guys who are in, really do not deserve the premium. the cattle just do not measure up.

I have been looking around for a good herd to choose another 25 cows to add in a different blood line, and so far the few I have looked at, the ones in the association are not at all cattle that I think should be used as "promotional" type of cattle.

it is hard to beat the Canadian blood line of Herefords in my opinion. and the guys running that type of cattle always catch my eye first.

I don't know about the Hereford Assn. but if you want to register your calf crop it will probably be cheaper if you are a member of the Assn. Their other services are probably cheaper also. I'd ask them what the benefits are. There will be a lot of BS but a lot of useful information also.

By joining you are supporting the main promotional arm of the breed of cattle you are trying to merchandise.

As a member of my association I have free advertising on their website, cheaper registration fees, my operation listed on their website if I wish, inclusion in the membership book which is distributed to people inquiring about the breed, a bi-monthly publication which keeps me up to date on events and information about the breed, a voice and a vote in the association, as well as a chance to meet and converse with other breeders.
I figure the web services alone are worth the membership fee.

Latest posts